Speakers: What do you own?

OMG, the sickness has returned, I just put in an appointment to buy 4 more JBL's tomorrow. I barely had a chance to get to acquainted with my last purchase and they are front stage of my secondary listening room. There are so many more collectors out there how many average young families just wanting to put some wood cabinet speakers on their living room floor.

Are prices / availability still pretty good for these and the Heritage line?

Yes $175 is a good price for them and i see klipsch heritage speakers for sale in the local CL all the time. i did listen to both last night nothing really jumped out at me that the Kg4 were a big improvement or even better, i liked the bass better on the Kg4 but the highs were shrilly i liked the mid range better on the Kefs but they lack bass. Ive been using my Tannoy Cheviots with the 500C and honestly neither one were even close to sounding as good so it was hard to be critical but they are floor standers. Only you can judge how a speakers sounds to you maybe you would find the Kg4s a big improvement but i dont with very limited use.

Yes $175 is a good price for them and i see klipsch heritage speakers for sale in the local CL all the time. i did listen to both last night nothing really jumped out at me that the Kg4 were a big improvement or even better, i liked the bass better on the Kg4 but the highs were shrilly i liked the mid range better on the Kefs but they lack bass. Ive been using my Tannoy Cheviots with the 500C and honestly neither one were even close to sounding as good so it was hard to be critical but they are floor standers. Only you can judge how a speakers sounds to you maybe you would find the Kg4s a big improvement but i dont with very limited use.
Thanks a lot for doing that. I ended up passing on the klipsch because space is more important right now than finding the right setup. I know this stuff is a lot of personal preference but it's nice to hear that I didn't miss a big upgrade. I've been really happy with the KEFs so far so I'll enjoy them for now and look to upgrade when I get tired of them down the line. I haven't heard any Tannoy stuff but I'll keep it in mind.

Old thread, I know. Newer member, just getting back into audio after divorce and kids are grown. Pulled all my music outta the garage loft, and bought some "starter" equipment to get back into it. Stumbled across a Rotel RX-2001 and an Onkyo Model A-10, and a Nikko EQ-1. Bought all, but using the Rotel, with a pair of Grafyx Model 10 and Sansui SP-X6000 for speakers. Onkyo DX-C510 cd player, Onkyo TA-2800 cassette, and a Teac V-35 cassette. I picked up a Fisher MT-6250 turntable, and a Sansui 2000A that I haven't checked out yet. Both are old and dirty. Kinda went a little crazy at 1st, the vintage bug bit me, and I also now own a couple of Kenwood receivers, a Marantz 2230, Sony STR-V3, and 3 other pairs of vintage Sansui speakers. (SP-200, SP-2000, & SP-3000). What can I say, I like em. I have a pair of Paradigm 5se that were also a pleasant surprise when I hooked them up. Also several other pairs of speaked and a few other odds and ends components for source. Got a good start, and enough to play around with for awhile. The aforementioned system that I have set up in my living room sounds really good, to me. Been listening to the remastered Rush "Moving Pictures", Night Rangers' classic "Dawn Patrol", Robert Plants' "Fate Of Nations", Whitespace "Slide It In" and Steely Dan "aja", reminiscing .Ah, it's soooo good to be back.

Old thread, I know. Newer member, just getting back into audio after divorce and kids are grown. Pulled all my music outta the garage loft, and bought some "starter" equipment to get back into it. Stumbled across a Rotel RX-2001 and an Onkyo Model A-10, and a Nikko EQ-1. Bought all, but using the Rotel, with a pair of Grafyx Model 10 and Sansui SP-X6000 for speakers. Onkyo DX-C510 cd player, Onkyo TA-2800 cassette, and a Teac V-35 cassette. I picked up a Fisher MT-6250 turntable, and a Sansui 2000A that I haven't checked out yet. Both are old and dirty. Kinda went a little crazy at 1st, the vintage bug bit me, and I also now own a couple of Kenwood receivers, a Marantz 2230, Sony STR-V3, and 3 other pairs of vintage Sansui speakers. (SP-200, SP-2000, & SP-3000). What can I say, I like em. I have a pair of Paradigm 5se that were also a pleasant surprise when I hooked them up. Also several other pairs of speaked and a few other odds and ends components for source. Got a good start, and enough to play around with for awhile. The aforementioned system that I have set up in my living room sounds really good, to me. Been listening to the remastered Rush "Moving Pictures", Night Rangers' classic "Dawn Patrol", Robert Plants' "Fate Of Nations", Whitespace "Slide It In" and Steely Dan "aja", reminiscing .Ah, it's soooo good to be back.
Looks like you are Happy as a LARK :)

Currently using a restored pair of AR 3a's as my main speakers. Sometimes for a change of pace I use them with the internal tweets disconnected and hook a pair of JansZen 1-30 electrostats. Gets me as close to what the AR 1 probably sounded like back in the earliest days, since I'm doubtful I'll actually ever own an AR 1W(never mind a AR 1). I also have a pair of AR 2's that I use with the 1-30's occasionally, along with 2 pairs of early KLH Model Six's and a pair of restored Model Five's. Unfortunately, they don't get any use these days, but when I tried to sell them locally got nowhere fast.

AR 3a/JansZen 1-30

3a1-30.jpg

AR 2/JansZen 1-30
ar2130.jpg

I’ve only had 901’s for 30 years. In the last few months I’ve picked up Yamaha HS 8 powered monitors, Bose 401’s and today Infinity RS 4000’s. These three pair to be used for surround along with two Klipsch subs.

Current:

Mission 760i: Very accomplished but I'm just not a fan of their somewhat veiled sound. They do seem to survive purges though.
Marantz ls-110: They look like one rung up from bottom rack bookshelves with a Marantz badge but they're very good. Comparable overall quality to the missions. Nice low end on the textile dome tweeter. Very dry sound for a small bass reflex.
Jvc sp-uxt55, sp-ux5000: They are very good but after some time distortion in the upper midrange gets intrusive. Hard time dealing with plosives. I still like them, not the best sounding in my collection but I don't feel the need to get rid of them because they're so small.
Akai sw-30: I want zigmahornets now. I like fe103, bit of a hollow sound from the horn but it does give 'wucht' to the lower midrange.
Kef sp3235: Early, low-end Uni-Q. Brightish with a metallic twang. High resolution on the other hand. I like the overkill heavy driver in the tiny enclosure.
Dual cl 80: Bit bright, very deep and tight bass, go loud, very nice cab and veneer.
Technics sb-40: Tad bright with the metal dustcap, decent and dry bass using the passive radiator. Very detailed sound.
Kef reference 101: Sucked in overdamped sound. Well, actually they are great and a class above everything else I own.
Klipsch rb 51 ref IV: Bass tuned very low, not punchy and maybe a tad woolly. I find the horn very polite and not bright at all.
Telefunken tl 41: Amazing for voice. All alnico. Especially the oval tweeter is kind of crazy good.
Scan Dyna a10: Very dry deepish bass. Mine say on the back the xover is at 1kHz: critical midrange is coming from the large dome tweeter. To me it lacks weight sometimes. Unbelievable imaging.
Realistic Minimus 0.6: These just do everything right. Great clarity. Auto on/off. Run ages on 4 NiMh's. I use one hooked up to an old mp3 stick to listen to podcasts when doing chores: I love it.

Dumped at thriftstore:

Mordaunt-Short ms10: Ye olde audax tweet. By no means awful but it cannot completely hide its cheapness. The mid/bass driver is very sweet though. Paper cone, thick rubber suspension, decent magnet.
Goodmans Maxim 2: Basically the same setup. Seems a bit brighter than the ms10's. Again only thing of value seems to be the mid/bass driver. Cabinet is cheap but decent enough.
Grundig Box 8000: I dont like a big textile dome as mid in a 3-way. Also: what were they thinking? How many of these things can possibly have survived: all the domes have zero protection even with the grilles on! Well behaved big box that does not excel at anything.
Philips Fwb-mc70, Fb652g: Low end Philips is always worth a laugh here. I like their gimmicks: kevlar cone vs passive radiator. Hmmm, I think I'm going to avoid Philips from now except their totl (mfb, active dsp) they're just so middle of the road and common as chips here.
Tannoy Titan: Are these the cheapest speakers they ever made? I could live with only these. Well, on secound thought... The overall tone is very nice but the mids are a bit of a warble I suppose because of cheap filtering.
Pioneer cs-e320: Non-metallic sound for such an old metal dome. (Actually the metal dome is what made me throw these out anyway.) Is this acoustic suspension? Deep but floppy bass.
Wharfedale Delta 30: Hand made in Yorkshire. I like them. Superior mid from the paper cone in the tallish baffle. I dumped them because they were damaged and ugly but I'd pick up a good pair for cheap.
Realistic Minimus 5, orphaned Optimus 1B: Cheap plastic horn driven by a paper cone. Recipe for some good sound it seems.

Sold:

JBL LX2001, Control One extreme: Nice internally braced cab on the lx2001. Very punchy sound. The titanium tweeter is also impressive for its class but its sound still has a hint of metal to it and I don't like it that much. One of the most decent filters in my low end collection.
Elac Dipol 40, Cinema 2 Sat (just a pair of sats), EL51s: Deliciously overengineered but somewhat soulless to borrow a horrible cliche about german engineering.
Scythe scbks-1100: One component filter. The metal cone mid/bass is driven full range. Some attempt at a TL.
Eltax Ht-2 bipolar: Enclosure milled from a block I recall reading somewhere. Nice paper cone tweets if you can stand a tad shouty.

Owned when I was young:

Chartwell ls3/5a: Enough has been said, except: I liked mine better without the tweeter grilles. Had some big Spendors too but I fried them.
Philips mfb 541, 544: The 541 is a marvel and I'm tempted to buy a brought back up to spec pair but they're expensive. 544 has the big textile dome mid I don't like.

Last edited:
Dahlquist DQM-5's
Dahlquist m903's
A/D/S CM250LCR, two of them, used as rears in my tv room
SONOS 5
SONOS 3
SONOS 1. (one of each)
Two homebuilt speakers on the deck, car speakers, 3 way, in cabinets built by my friend, for my wedding gift years ago (1994). Actually sound just fine out on the deck.

Advent 5012W's - My favorite pair I own, but temporarily closet dwellers. Due for a recap job.

Canton Chronos 502.2's - Used as a bedroom pair. Great pair for this purpose!

Dynaco A25's - Currently in my main system. Also in need of caps

Infinity Ovation III
Original Large Advent
University Medallion XII
EPI M100
NHT 1.3
NHT 1.5
Early 60's vintage home brews with 3 inch paper tweeter, Herald horn mid, and 10 inch full range that reminds me of a guitar speaker in appearance. (Oddly, the wife's favorite)

Since original 2015 post:

Moved Acoustat 1+1 to HT replacing Polk LSi9 mains
Magnepan MMG-C replaced Polk LSiC
New Advents in garage

Relatively new to AK and away from home audio for several years but back in much the wife's dismay. Except for the Magnepans (bought new in 1988) rest acquired in past two years.

Current:
Magnepan SMGa
Advent Minis
Advent Baby II
Advent Legacy
Bose 501 Series IV
Boston Acoustic HD-8
Polk Monitor 5Jr+
Polk RTA 11t
Infinity 3000
Infinity Reference Four
infinity RS5b
Infinity RS3b
Infinity RS 9 Kappa
JSE Infinite Slope Model 2
Realistic Minimus 7 & 7W

I notice that we occassionally have various [insert brand] roll calls and I thought it might be a good idea to have a speaker master list for any members who want to participate. I'll even recommend that if you owned it, but no longer own it, maybe list current and past speakers. I find it helpful when trying to determine if gear is worthwhile, to be able to easily track down who has owned what and send those individuals PMs.

What do you guys think? I'll start and see where this goes:

Past:
Wharfedale Valdus 400
Wharfedale Valdus 500
NHT 2.1s
Various DIY makes with components from audax, seas, scanspeak, dayton, eton, bravox, vifa, peerless, triangle, silver flute, and JBL.
Audax A150X (didn't own but tested and possessed for too long)
JBL Home Theater in Box speakers, Movies 20? something to that effect. Crap either way.
Adire Audio AV3 based mini-monitors
Adire Audio Extremis based monitors with Morel MDT-28 tweeters

Current:

Pioneer CS-05
Realistic Nova 7-B
Realistic Minimus 7s
NHT SuperZeros
Ohm Walsh Fs
KLH 15
Altec 886a
Bozak B-301 Tempo
Bozak B-302 Urban
Adire Audio Shiva
Lambda Acoustics PB15
Bose 601 Series II
New Advent Loudspeakers

Not the biggest list, but the DIY portion is pretty extensive.
I have two sets of Vintage speakers:
1. B&W 801 series speakers goes with my Crown DL2 Distinction series.
2. JBL 4311 is hooked up to my boyfriend's stereo not sure what the make is.

Here's my current lineup of vintage and new...

ADS L570 2s
ADS L630s
Advents- Large Utility (soon)
Advent Baby 2s
Baltek 30s
Boston Acoustics A-40s
Boston Acoustics A-70s (2 pair)
Boston Acoustics A-150s
Boston Acoustics A-200s
Cambridge Soundworks model 6s
Cambridge Soundworks model 17s
Cambridge Soundworks model c100s
Cambridge Soundworks model c150s
Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 8s
Cerwin Vega HED CV-3000s
Design Acoustics PS-10s
EPI 100vs
Infinity Reference Threes
JBL L-46s
Micro Acoustics FRM-2s (soon to be 2 pair)
Pioneer CS-201 2s
Polk Monitor 7s
Polk R-15s
Radio Shack Minimus 7s
Radio Shack Minimus 7Ws

TheDeliHaus, where do you get service on you Cambridge Soundwork gear? I live in Massachusetts and I have an ailing CSW PSW1 sub-woofer that needs to be fixed. Please share any thoughts that you have on a good CSW service center. Thanks.

My list is very modest to what I have seen here. It is all vintage stuff.

Pioneer CS-G403s (main system)
JBL PS-W1200 subwoofer (main system)
Optimus 1s (main system surround)
Jensen Alincos concert series, 8" w/ huge magnet (main unit center). This was part of a church PA system and is in a wall mount box with an angled downward face.

AR-48BYs (bedroom system)

4 Optimus 77s (2 used as external speakers for ham radio rigs, 2 unused)

Back
Top Bottom