Speakers you will NEVER sell.

Wow, just finished reading it (been doing some other things too). A grueling, wrenching, incredible read; especially difficult for a car guy like me. Bought without even driving it? Must have been a heck of a deal. Glad you're still happy with the KLHs. No one needs to tell you what that car would bring today...

Wow, just finished reading it (been doing some other things too). A grueling, wrenching, incredible read; especially difficult for a car guy like me. Bought without even driving it? Must have been a heck of a deal. Glad you're still happy with the KLHs. No one needs to tell you what that car would bring today...
KLH's story tells me that he is a guy who loves great playback of well recorded music. The choice of recording he used tells me why he was so fussy. For Rock, Pop and much Jazz one doesn't need truly accurate speakers; Something which 'gooses' the bass and projects the mid is fine. For simply stereo miked - one take recordings, the most accurate of systems is needed to fully realise the timbre/dynamics and space. No 'loudness contoured' speakers can do this.

KLH's story tells me that he is a guy who loves great playback of well recorded music. The choice of recording he used tells me why he was so fussy. For Rock, Pop and much Jazz one doesn't need truly accurate speakers; Something which 'gooses' the bass and projects the mid is fine. For simply stereo miked - one take recordings, the most accurate of systems is needed to fully realise the timbre/dynamics and space. No 'loudness contoured' speakers can do this.

Compelling testimony. My current listening is about 90% jazz, 5% classical and 5% popular.
I find that we end up 'splitting the difference' in many different ways in this 'hobby' of ours.

right now iam listening to a pair of technics sb-m5, jbl 4311wxa,,allison ic10...jbl d123...all pushed one way or another thru sansui 9090 and marantz 2325...whole lotta fun.I will not let these go.....until I here something better..could be tomorrow

After living in Ohio for 30 years, I moved back to my hometown in Michigan last year. My new house in Michigan has about half of the square footage my Ohio house had, thereby forcing me to unload a lot of "stuff." I ended up getting rid of two pairs of JBL 4311's, one pair of JBL 4312's, and one pair of JBL L830's. I also sold two Polk PSW-505 subwoofers. We won't even get into the large assortment of Marantz 22xx receivers or my two Yamaha RX-797 receivers I was forced to sell. I ended up with three pair of JBL 4312's plus a pair of Klipsch KG-4's. Based on my age, my home's square footage, and my satisfaction with what I'm left with, I can honestly say that I'll never part with my JBL 4312's. Or the Klipsch KG-4's for that matter.

My Pioneer CS-V700's, got them from a friend that owed me money and I wouldn't trade them for anything. they were definitely overlooked when they were new, because they were two small for there time. Now they are very rare but still worthless and overlooked because they were popular when they were new. But I like them.

I swore earlier in this thread that I would never sell my Sansui SP10 speakers but earlier this year I sold them to a gent in Korea and replaced them with a pair of smaller JBL Sat 2 speakers. I won't sell my Dynaco A25 pair, though, since I restored them and rebuilt the crossovers to improve the high end a bit, making them a sweet sounding pair. I also won't sell my Pinnacle AC600 pair, which replaced a pair of larger JBLs, but which is more than their equal.

Last edited:
wow..tough question..i like the technics sb-m5 I have right now hooked up to a sansui 9090...jbl 4311wxa...ummmmmaybe sell...cornwalls...I like these also...Allison ic-10...probably not....dahlquist dq 10....ok ill go with them..ah maybe not...get the picture..lol I want them all...lol

I have owned different Bozaks for over 54 years. Two pairs of Symphony, a pair of Grands, Concerto Grosso and B-313s. I added super tweeters to the Grands and Symphony many years ago, tri amping the Grands and bi amping the Symphony. I will admit their sound is dated with issues in the HF and thats why I added super tweeters. The bass by bi-amping using direct coupled amps improves by magnitudes. I still audition speakers looking for replacements. The best was the Snell A7 phantom, but being point source speaker just didn't have the definition unless in a small room. The only speaker than has been a consistent winner over the grands is the Mcintosh XR 290. But as with my Grands a little room equalization is required with the need of another 6 to 8 db of power. Another issue is there isn't a center channel available like my Low boy 4005 to match the 290. So I keep looking. Magicos sound great in a small room, too. But again being a point source speaker they won't work in my space. Modern Mac speakers tweeters just turn me off and though they make a great line array that one quality removes them from the list. I guess if I were a screen and a projector I could get by with 3 XRT 28's behind the screen, when its down. But I'm love with my Pioneer 151 Plasma, so thats not an option.

For over 20 years our company made professional recordings producing LP's and CD's for customers. Thats why I have Bozaks rather than Altec or JBL monitors. They produce the sound more faithfully of the live concert. It didn't matter if I used AKG, Telefunken, Neumann, Sony or Altec condenser tube or SS mics, using tube or SS mixers or tube or SS Ampex professional recorders. . Sure the tube recordings could get a little warm, but they could be so life like, not a studio sound. I never heard that with any other speaker than my Bozaks. Until I do I will keep my Bozaks with no regrets. When I hear Sheffield, some Reference and Telarc recordings I get the same feeling. Recordings of North Texas university wind band shock me sometimes reminding me of the sound I experienced as I was a member of a Symphonic band and sang in Choirs. Some commercial US Marine band recordings remind me of my recordings I boot legged when they and the Navy Band were in town. There is just no other speaker that can bring back the memories of actually being at a live performance. I'm not after replication of what is being produced in a studio or on a sound stage, though they can be very enjoyable. I want the live experience of an un-amplified live performance, be it outdoors, indoors ,on stage, in a concert hall, auditorium, or compromised field house or Gym. My recordings of the Basie, Kenton, Ray Charles, and other big bands are so close to being like you're there the thrill never goes away. So thats why I still have Bozaks. I admit with each upgrade in amps etc the sound gets closer. I'm back to using all Mcintosh with Urei and Crown processors. . I am about ready to fire up the Room perfect of the MX151 and retire the Crowns. Maybe after Xmas.

Last edited:
Speakers I would never sell are my Cizek Model 1. Wanted a set for a very long time and was always fascinated by Roy Cizek's designs.

Back
Top Bottom