Speaking of Car stereo, here's my take on Sirus XM

Good thread. I never have had any experience at all with S/XM - not even a buddy with it. Often have wondered about it. All questions pretty much answered here, and after reading all posts so far I'd pass on it if even I had any use for it in the first place, which I don't. I learn something new every day here.

I've had Sirius ever since Howard went there. As others have noted Sirius was better than XM and the merger affected sound quality. I think it's worth the discounted price but you have to call and argue every year. We pay for the everything subscription on the wife's car which includes internet service. I use the internet service both at home through Sonos and on my Iphone. They've never complained about using multiple devices.

We have resigned for 3 years in a row for $5/mo....they will give you the price if you refuse one time.....But we are dropping it as redundant play lists almost as bad as FM. You can bluetooth almost anything you want now, so the service is becoming pointless. When cell carriers offer cheaper unlimited data, and they will, I cant see how they can survive.

At least with SXM you own your own electronics. Try dealing with Directv sometime. $99,00 is nothing when it comes to satellite tv service.

Just don't get the sound quality issues. Does anybody listen to Sirus XM through one of the Satellite TV
providers? I'm using Dish Hopper (optical out 2 usb) ... the 60's,70's, Sinatra, Willies Roadhouse, BB King Bluesville, Real Jazz (basically old school recordings) ... sound good to my ears. Much better than the Pandora (free) app on my DVR.

I don't listen in the car or streaming (not a subscriber). Is it that different ... depending on the platform? Anybody sampled both at one time or another?

My subscription came up last month and it took a lot of haggling to get the same $6 a month deal that I had. They kept offering me higher rates and I kept saying “nope”.

At least with SXM you own your own electronics. Try dealing with Directv sometime. $99,00 is nothing when it comes to satellite tv service.

Directv is such a slime ball company. They routinely “forget” to cancel additional services after you call and ask them, and you have to call again.

I like Sirius/XM and renew every year but not at the rate they quote me. I find it convenient not just for music, but for news and sports. I'm a huge hockey fan (NY Rangers) and listen to games while driving at night (driving tractor trailers). As far as the sound quality goes, I have an older sky-fi/2 tuner which is better than every other tuner that has come after that. I have a docking station in my p/u truck, tractor for work, and in my garage for outside.

I listen to Sirus XM on my Dish Hopper (output 2 home stereo) ... the music only version (guess it's called) is part of my package. I like their programming .. sounds good to me (better than I thought it would) on the stations I like ... 60's,70's, 80's, Seriously Sinatra, Willie's Roadhouse, BB King Bluesville, Real Jazz, The Bridge .. etc.

Never used it in a car (aside from rentals) ... usually I play the Ipod in the car ... if I even bother to play music while driving any more. Don't drive as much as I use to ... aside from vacations.
Check deep tracks if you have not. The hosts differ but they have their free reign to play whatever strikes them and they are moody so it gets good sometimes. Commercial free, a must in my world. My wife really like the Radio classics 148. Happy wife and all that.

When XM and Sirius were still separate companies I tried XM because I'm a truck driver.

Some time later I tried Sirius and was truly amazed at how much better it sounded. They offered me a lifetime subscription for $299.99, which I purchased.

Then after XM bought Sirius the sound quality went to shit. I still have my Sirius radio with the lifetime subscription and can transfer it to a newer radio for a $75 fee. I only listen to it when driving, but most of the time it's turned off.
Turned off??? lifetime paid for??? PM me

I have 5000 songs on a USB stick on permanent Shuffle.

When I got my Buick with the trial I first thought it was cool but by the end of 3 months I found myself bouncing between 3 stations and a wrestling talk show so just not worth what they charge even with what they call a deal.
Hang on to your stick.

I just received a letter from Sirius XM today. They had two offers for me. Six months for $30 or 12 months for $100. I guess I am missing the logic here. I should pay more per month if I subscribe for a longer period of time? I am choosing neither as I usually do. SXM must be feeling the pinch from lack of new subscribers.
No. Their subscriber numbers go up every quarter.

I have S/XM in 2 of my vehicles, and I agree that the sound quality is, at best, marginal

I changed out the factory speakers in my 2013 Ford explorer. day and night difference. I hear what the signal is offering. At low volume it is crisp and clear. I listen to mostly Jazz and can easily tell the differences in recordings from the 40's 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's. They all have their own sound. Get my point?

I have been subscribing continuously to XM for at least 13 years and it has always been a love/hate relationship for me. Both sides have long lists. First, my positives.

Quite happy with the content, as I'm mostly a rock-alt-acoustic kind of guy. Lots of stations for me. Tons of content for most tastes. I'm not very interested in thumbs up/down nonsense. Most of my stations keep me happy with no input from me. Like a real radio station.

By sticking to the music stations, I can avoid advertising entirely. This is incredibly important to me.

I'm a baseball fan so XM has me covered there. Tons of sports.

Same content no matter where you are. Favorite stations are always there.

The not so positives.

Actual satellite reception is absolutely laughable. I'm in the Seattle area and anything outside the urban terrestial repeater areas is incredibly spotty. Too many hills and trees? Too far North? Listening indoors requires line of sight between the satellite and your antenna. Not always easy to arrange. I haven't been able to listen at work for years. I've been at it for a long time and despite lots of effort, equipment, and experience I fight this battle EVERY day. This is easily my biggest dislike. Internet access is a solution but has it's own limitations. One device at a time doesn't work when your wife listens to XM as much as you do. And I have lots of bandwidth competition at home.

Cost is significant and going up every time I turn around. I just got a message from XM warning me that the royalty rates are going up. Not their fault, but the costs only go in one direction. But that's not unique to them. Charging me for each individual device gets tiresome once you reach a certain point. I have a portable MyFi device, a Polk home component tuner, and an internet subscription and it costs me over $35 a month. And my Sirius trial in my new Jeep will run out soon. I'm not sure what that will cost but I'm not giving that up, as that is the only device I have that doesn't deal with reception problems. Almost perfect reception there. How about charging me for the first four devices and calling it good?

I'm not in love with their business practices and the support seems kind of skinny.

Classical and Jazz programming is way too limited. I'm lucky to have public radio to fill that gap. With the bonus of real fidelity.

Sound quality is marginal no matter the device.

Obviously the immense satisfaction of the programming has overcome the significant disappointment of the delivery. I can't imagine not having it to enjoy. But I can't imagine spending much more for it. Love/hate indeed.
Golly what a great review. I agree with 97 % of it. (who cares).
The only thing to pick out is the Jazz experience. I have learned so much about Jazz over the last two+ years from the disk spinners... maybe you already know. My jazz LP collection has grown over 100 albums over the last year due to the education I received from the Jazz channel. Old stuff and new stuff..

Just don't get the sound quality issues. Does anybody listen to Sirus XM through one of the Satellite TV
providers? I'm using Dish Hopper (optical out 2 usb) ... the 60's,70's, Sinatra, Willies Roadhouse, BB King Bluesville, Real Jazz (basically old school recordings) ... sound good to my ears. Much better than the Pandora (free) app on my DVR.

I don't listen in the car or streaming (not a subscriber). Is it that different ... depending on the platform? Anybody sampled both at one time or another?

Naw it's just some complaint repeated with no understanding. IMO
Sound quality is as good as anything out there. Most peoples ears are not able to discern WHERE the deficiencies are from. I can hear distortion on my home system from record to record. It is certainly from engineering/pressing. Nothing new.

Ya got me thinking. My Dish is optically connected to my TV which is optically connected to my TV system which in some way is superior to my Mancave. Wife is working so why not take this party upstairs???

Back
Top Bottom