Spec Alert! Spec-2 On Now And...

If you say so...not that I either have the clue or the money...I trust your eyes and knowledge pretty well. Point this out in better detail for us, so that we might benefit next time we see stuff like that.

Why bother even looking at seperates like these ? Its pointless. The integrated amps give close as damn-it equal sonic comparison for a mere fraction of seperates price.Ok theres silver everywhere,and vu s but so what ? Just get a 9500 or 1250,what difference would you detect ? :thumbsdn:

asynchronousman said:
If you say so...not that I either have the clue or the money...I trust your eyes and knowledge pretty well. Point this out in better detail for us, so that we might benefit next time we see stuff like that.

It says so right in his ad, and then he goes on to mention that the handles are bent and it shows some wear on the bottom edge. Looking at it, it doesn't appear to be too bad, but now I'm wondering if those are the actual pictures or not. Before bidding, I would definitely ask.

Retro

benedict arnold said:
Why bother even looking at seperates like these ? Its pointless. The integrated amps give close as damn-it equal sonic comparison for a mere fraction of seperates price.Ok theres silver everywhere,and vu s but so what ? Just get a 9500 or 1250,what difference would you detect ? :thumbsdn:

Actually, I couldn't disagree more. You mention integated amps, which the SA-9500 is, but the SX-1250 is not. I'll do a side-by-side comparison between receivers/integrates and seperates any day, and the seperates will win EVERY time. Price-wise, you'd be surprised at what kind of a deal you can get on some decent seperates when comparing their price to a decent SA-9500 or SX-1250. Just my $.02

Retro

My friends the karaoke DJs are giving me a "huge Pioneer" (and I'd assume an older one because they used it in their home and business before the Techwood stuff--and I still assert to the "worst name" posters that it's pretty good gear), so I doubt I'd need a Spec 2 really even though it IS an incredible brute.

Hello Retro,didnt some AudioKarma s,who have had experience of seperates in their collections,say that integrateds come oooh sooo close to mega seperates and for a fraction of the price ? I threw the 1250 in just for fun because of the power ! :naughty: yes I know everyone dismisses the recievers as not having equal sound quality..... :sigh: strange then how popular recievers are !!!!! I wish everyone(else) would buy up the seperates and leave those horrible sounding recievers alone so I could get some of my wants ! Seriously though,Im looking forward to someone doing comparisons with a variety of music for fairness and of course from vinyl.Perhaps one day we will all meet at the first Audio Karma Audio Show where members bring along their equipment to demo ! I would make every effort to come over all the way from France......!!!!!
ps what seperates would you propose up against a totl reciever like the Hitachi SR-2004 or Rotel 1603 ? I saw recently a Kenwood KA-907 integrated with a 1 KW power draw and weighing at least 30 kilos,what seperates would compare with referances like this ? just curious in asking as I dont own any of them,yet.. :cry:

Hey BA,
My personal opinion is that "I" like seperates better than integrateds and receivers. Everyone else is certainly free to chose their component source as they see fit. I happen to own, and have owned quite a few receivers (as you can see in my avatar) and integrated amps over the years. This is important now, "my" personal preference is seperates. As a matter of fact, I had, and sold, a mint (I can e-mail you pictures of it) Hitachi SR-2004 and preferred my Pioneer SX-1250 receiver over it in every catergory except the tuner section. Three or four years ago those SR-2004's were selling for $150 to $250 (I paid $200 for my mint one) on eBay, while the SX-1250's were going for $400 to $600, and for very good reason, the SX-1250 sounded, and performed much better than the SR-2004 in "my" opinion. I've had a couple of Pioneer SX-1280's and 1980's and still prefer seperates. I've owned Sansui integrated amps (the AU series) and receivers G-9000, G-8000, G-6000, etc, etc, etc. I've also had quite a few of the Yamaha, Technics and Kenwood receivers and integrated amps and "I" still prefer the seperates. Someday, just have a listen to someone's decent seperates set up if you haven't already and let me know what you think after that. It's all a journey my friend, and mine still isn't finished.........

Retro

I will have to strongly agree with Retro here. I have had a few receivers running over the years but after experiencing the sheer sound quality and performance of my PIONEER seperates(SPEC-1,SPEC-2,SA-9500) I would have to say the SPEC gear outdoes the rest. Its just not a matter of HUGE eye candy its the sound, the shear headroom balls. It may just be in the mind but seriously I rely much more on my seperates and enjoy listening to them more than my receiver models although they are way cool too, they are just a different animal in the zoo! Just my $ .02

I recall a pretty good Rotel amp a DJ friend used that had nothing but the power switch/light and Rotel (Model XXXXX) basically. It was hard to shut it down under working loads, it did not clip and did not go into protection on a whim. Yes, better heard not seen can be a great thing, but having a "living" connection of a few lights or meters is great too, necessity in some cases. Just not when it's worth more than a damned amp circuit :thumbsdn:

Nice exchanges guys,RETRO can you enlargen what you mean by "your" preferance,cos I dont know what you are referring to nor why,sorry ! Yes indeed the thought of a MINT SR-2004 had me foaming......$250 bucks ? Wow dude,I would blast that bank transfer over in mega quick fashion !! What for you did the SR lose out to the 1250 ? Could it be possible that different speakers would have changed the equation or perhaps a more radical control using a graphic equaliser ? What listening source did you listen from vinyl or cd ? How does your opinion deck out with the one by kajguy ?

Its interesting the seperates and integrates thing and you are fortunetly someone who has had fabulous pedigree from both.Audioreview has interesting comments by owners and on the SX-1980 someone has said he spent a fortune on seperates but couldnt BEAT the sx ! Theres argument I guess ! Is it possible that "going back" would change any opinions NOW ? Theres no doubt about it,prices of vintage seperates are affordable now.I saw a spec3/4 ? recently priced as MINT @ 1300euros if I remember
rightly,but in the USA they will be cheaper so a potential gr8 deal is possible...yes you are right on the nail with the journey bit and thats just fine too! :thmbsp:

After my last posting I thought it might go well for anyone else with interesting seperates,especially of the same marque or something integrated to compare by....?

any Fisher-ers out there ? yes Fisher had quality seperates too,despite all the Marantz and Sansuis !

are there any issues choosing speakers for seperates as compared to integs or recievers ? I mention this because very often owners of the latters have reference speakers,so not un naturally they would be part of "their" reference sound,ie no weak link in their chain.I wonder if the seperates are more sensitive to speaker choice...any opinions/advice ? :scratch2:

Seperates/Integrateds..etc.

ba until you have heard for yourself..in your own home..on your own music..the difference between full seperates and an integrated or receiver..you just won't really know.

Over the years I have had some nice Pioneer integrateds, all hooked to the same set of speakers. They all sounded good..really good. Especially the last one I really listened to a lot. It was an SA9500ll, a full dual mono amp. 80wpc, it could raise the roof with volume and some real punch to the sound. Altogether very nice.

Then a few years ago I got my first Pioneer Spec4 amp and hooked it direct to my CD player. Discs I had listened to for years sounded like they had new parts added to the music..there was that much MORE being brought out and fully played compared to the integrateds. Subtle percussion such as cymbal strokes, triangles..stringed intstrument accompiment, suddenly wasn't just sound muddled in there..it was seperate distinct and completely distinguished from the main solo and rythm players. Bass was not just a deep beat sound, it was a plucked instrument..ovetones..and OOOmPH you could feel..a Big difference. The Spec4 is 150wpc..power helps at any volume to create a soundstage.

Then I got a *cough cough* Spec2 poweramp @250wpc .

I thought I knew what a powerful Stereo sounded like. I was...wrong :yikes:

Someday, you may find out for yourself :)

Last edited:
I had a buddy return from Germany, he just got out of the Army and bought a Spec set up over there. We listened to thing day and night, I've never heard anything like it to this day. He had the Spec's 1 and 2, not sure what tuna, an Akai R2R, all snuggled away in that bitchin' rack, hooked up to a pair of CS-99a's. That system had a sound I'll never forget. I remember walking to Matt's house, we could hear the music blocks away. When we got to the end of the culdesac, with the sun hitting Matt's window, you could see the glass bouncing to the music. Man... some day I'll have one. That was '78 I belive.

Ron

Last edited:
Separates all the way :yes: and I have had the good fortune of being able to do side by side comparisons with some of the biggest and baddest TOTL receiver's and integrated amps and went running back to my separates every single time. I have kept of few of my favorite receiver's but have sold off the rest and pretty much given up on trying to make a receiver my main unit, until I run into something huge that I have not owned yet :D then it's get a 12 pack, invite a couple of critic's over & begin the comparison's. The separates always win though so it is like watching your favorite movie for the 5th time, it is fun but you know how it will end before you ever start :smoke:

So far not one single person that has ever been present for one of my famous listening sessions where I feverishly switch out different units using a couple of reference tracks, not one has ever preferred a receiver over separates, however a couple of integrated amps have produced a hung jury but at the end of the day the separate components get shut off last.

I know a shop that repairs equipment that has a Spec-1 preamp that no one picked up that they repaired.They want 250 for it.Cosmetically,its decent,not great.How is the phono pre in that one?Is that a good deal?
Jimmy

Thanks,Bolly!Man,that place has some stuff...If I brought home everything nice they had there,I would be living permanently in the garage.If anyone wants the adress and phone number,let me know.They come highly recommended by a friend,but Ill find out for myself this week when I get my Dual 701 back from them(cant wait to hear what it sounds like!!!!).I know they sell a little on the bay,too.When I pick up my gear,Ill find out what their ebay id is if anyone is interested.
Jimmy

Back
Top Bottom