Specific Streamer recommendations.

I like the randomness, surprised and discovery involved with various streaming services.

You can achieve some of that by using an 'auto-DJ' function with a library of ripped CDs. I find it impossible to choose which of the 5000+ CDs I have available, so I just let auto-DJ pick tracks from my library.

A streaming service ought offer that function from a much larger selection of music, but, due to the way most streaming services seem to work, you may end up getting a much more limited selection due to the way they 'learn about your tastes'. Hopefully, there is a 'just play me stuff totally at random, not what you think you know about my listening tastes' option...

Yes, I was never much of a radio fan. But there have been a few FM stations like KQRS in Golden Valley MN back in the 70s that helped me find new music. Before the internet I would buy LPs and CDs on a whim, gambling, taking a chance, based on cursory information. I really have not listened to the radio in decades. Plus FM radio sound quality is not all that enjoyable to me. But even at 192kbps Pandora sounds better than an FM tuner to me. And Spotify is 320kbps. Now I can listen to new music and only buy the music on CD (if it is even available) only if I REALLY like it.

If you have an old PC or laptop you can load Daphile on it. It can do Spotify, Tidal and much more. You can control it from another PC or phone/tablet. It doesn't need a monitor. You will need an external DAC for best SQ though, but built in PC sound will do for starters.

Just went Premium today, in anticipation for the delivery of my CXN v2 on Monday. Spotify is more complex, versatile and interesting than Pandora. Having all this music at my disposal will be fun. Even though I have 5000 CDs, I get bored with them. I like the randomness, surprised and discovery involved with various streaming services.
According the website, the CXN also supports Airplay. If you have a PC you can buy a copy of Airfoil and send any audio stream to from the computer to CXN. Not sure if you listen to any other audio sources, but something to keep in mind if you want to listen to more sources than it supports on device. If you are using iTunes for podcasts or radio, it has Airplay built in.

If using Spotify, I recommend that you buy a Spotify Premium account at $9.99/month. Can't remember for sure, but I believe that it's required to run Spotify through the CXN. It's well worth the money, many more features than the free account, and I found it's sound quality to be very close to Tidal. Shows 44.1kHz on my preamp's display, which is CD quality.

Rather CD format, not quality.

Have not looked into Airplay. I already am discovering there are things I like about Pandora over Spotify. Pandora allows you to custom build 100 stations. Spotify is a playlist oriented format. When you go to create your own radio station via an artist, it has a playlist already manufactured for you.

So, the method I am using is creating a playlist by adding many artist radios and many genre radios to my playlist. This will give me a WILD variety at random. But it also will have a greater potential for my using the "thumbs down" button! I should be getting the CXN Monday.

Have not looked into Airplay. I already am discovering there are things I like about Pandora over Spotify. Pandora allows you to custom build 100 stations. Spotify is a playlist oriented format. When you go to create your own radio station via an artist, it has a playlist already manufactured for you.

So, the method I am using is creating a playlist by adding many artist radios and many genre radios to my playlist. This will give me a WILD variety at random. But it also will have a greater potential for my using the "thumbs down" button! I should be getting the CXN Monday.
The upside to Airplay is that it can work with any computer audio stream. Whether you want to use anything other than what is directly supported is up to you, though.

Unsure if there is much difference between a radio and a playlist, it is an ordered list of tracks no matter how you slice it. You can listen to full albums in Spotify Premium, which may or not be of value to you but it is for me.

There is a huge difference in the way Spotify functions and Pandora. I do like that I can play an album on Spotify. However, since I have both Spotify and Pandora, it will be great. I will look into Airplay too once I get comfortable with Spotify.

One unique Spotify feature is the ability to search by record labels. You type say label:Virgin in the search box and it gives list of artists and albums that were released on Virgin.

Got it today. Spotify is a cinch. I am also using it as a DAC for my CD player. However, I cannot find how to get Pandora. All the "press release" reviews out there mention it has Pandora capabilities. But other sources mention Cambridge no longer supports Pandora. I know a few of you were very helpful, thank you. It seems that it is not "general knowledge" even by sale people that all you need is a PC and do NOT need a Smartphone. I understand Tidal is a firmware update expected sometime this year. I think Spotify will keep me busy for quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom