Spectrum speakers???

your_host

Does anyone know what the heck this is. I know nothing about it and I can't find any info on it. Spectrum speaker, made in canada, 15" sub, crossover switch "Home/Disco", ctrls for mid and tweeters.

thx.

Attachments

• 100_4766.JPG
    100_4766.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 382
Anything with three pezio tweeters will take the top of your head off .Looks very cheeply made.See white van speaker

nooo nooo these are not White vans
that woofer has a BIG mag i picked a pair that looked like that same brand from the dump when i was younger Sounded very good
well not that i could tell back then but it was bassy lol

Spectrum speakers were actually reviewed favorably in Stereophile, by Sam Tellig (the Audio Cheapskate), back in the 80's.
My Sister had a pair that were quite *nice!

*Until both woofer cones were shredded by her late cat, Pumpkin!?

Steve

Those woofers is most likely not original , and the piezo are of an erea that the sound like lazer beams ,and don't have proper crossovers .

That is a fine bass driver. If you take it out, you'll find it has a large and heavy square magnet. I had a pair. Eminence is the brand. Same driver as was used in the later model Cornwall. The cabinet looks very solid. The other drivers are questionable. You can always replace the piezos. Anything made in Canada can't be all bad.

Need info

I got a pair of Spectrum speakers recently from a neighbor for $10. No model number is shown on them, but the serial number starts with 208; could this mean they are model 208? (I read a post that mentioned model 108.) If so, can anyone tell me about them? Dimensions are about 26" high by 14" wide; what and how many speakers do they have? Impossible to see into them because of the glued-on covers. I'm an audio Neanderthal. Thanks for your help

I had a pair of Spectrum speakers, I can't remember the model #, but they were smaller two ways, VERY well built and sounded great!

Dave

Those woofers is most likely not original , and the piezo are of an erea that the sound like lazer beams ,and don't have proper crossovers .
Looks like it uses Motorola Powerlines, same as the Dahlquist DQ12. As the others have said, piezos can sound nice when used properly - I'm guessing you've seen inside these speakers then, since you know that it doesn't have a proper crossover?

You've just got to watch for the crap sounding clones which look identical to the Powerlines from the front...

I'm not mad on the baffle layout though. :scratch2:

I auditioned a pair back in the mid 80's at Project 1 Stereo in Little Rock. I remember the non-removable grills. The speakers sounded very nice and compared very favorably to the Polk Monitor 7s. I believe they listed for around 300.

Back
Top Bottom