Spectrum speakers???

Spectrum Speaker Versions

Wow, this is the 3rd version I have seen. I have 2 sets and both are different, but they all share the same 15" woofer. Mine both have a pair of phenolic tweeters and a pair of closed back paper coned mids, there is yellow insulation behind the cones on the mid. One set has the single 15" woofer, the other pair have 2 15" woofers, one in front and another firing out the rear?!? Yes and those disco switches too... The set with dual 15" look like they might have been a mod by someone. Just refoaming them I will post some pics soon.
They were made in North Vancouver, BC by Pro-Linear who still make speakers today.

if the bass drivers are the cats meow and the tweeters just meh...... looks like an excellent candidate for the ol' econowave mod.

I got a pair of Spectrum speakers recently from a neighbor for $10. No model number is shown on them, but the serial number starts with 208; could this mean they are model 208? (I read a post that mentioned model 108.) If so, can anyone tell me about them? Dimensions are about 26" high by 14" wide; what and how many speakers do they have? Impossible to see into them because of the glued-on covers. I'm an audio Neanderthal. Thanks for your help

Yes that's Spectrum 208, a nice sounding speaker model from Spectrum Audio in Toledo. Spectrum existed between the later 70's to the middle of the 90's. They had at least 15 models.
Carefully remove the grills by a dull knife and you will find something to show:yes:

The other Canadian Spectrum with piezos, in this thread has nothing to do with them as far as I know.

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've ended up with a pair of these speakers myself. Looks to be a slight model change similar to this thread:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....rum-speakers-worth-putting-any-effort.719083/

The came as part of a packaged deal and after playing with them I have named them "Kabuki Kongs". They're massive, weigh in at the 52lbs range, and yes, have a 'disco switch' :banana:

They have no model numbers and publish a warranty on the nameplate; so I'd believe they're white-van specials, but apparently even THOSE were built better back in the day.
I'll refoam the rotted woofer and mid surrounds and clean up the crossovers. They're just too over-the-top not to keep. I'll put up component pics later on.

Attachments

• IMG_2241.JPG
    IMG_2241.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2242.JPG
    IMG_2242.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2323.JPG
    IMG_2323.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 41
Well, I pulled the cabinets open last night to see what's what. A huge portion of the weight is in the cabinet materials. The woofer was lighter than I expected but did have the square magnet mentioned earlier. Tweets are made in japan and the crossover circuit looked alright. I cleaned out the pots and the Disco Switch and they sound alright!

Attachments

• IMG_2392.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2393.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2394.JPG
    IMG_2394.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2396.JPG
    IMG_2396.JPG