Spielberg ever make a bad movie

Ask Spielberg.
He has stated in many interviews that the movie “1941” was his worst.

But for me, (Indiana Jones and the) Crystal Skull is worse. It’s worse because he should have known better than to go with the Mesoamerican aliens idea. Not to mention the general poor quality of the plot and dialog. BUT I suppose if one has achieved his level of success in “the industry” that making a turkey just because you want to work with your old pals is allowed.

His partners & Spielburg said that 1941 in that movie`s special features that it was a poor financial return in America, but did very well in overseas sales..
But I have always liked it since 1982 when I first saw it on cable, and tracked it down years ago have it on BR/DVD and still watch it at least once a year and still enjoy it very much..
I`ve learned not to put much credence in "Joe & Jane six packs" tastes in many things in this country after nearly 64 years of exposure..
But that`s just me..

Kind regards, OKB

Where I think Spielberg, an admirer of Ford, got his characteristic dolly in shot. When a director seldom moves the camera and uses it in a natural, unobtrusive manner a shot like this has all the more emotion.

Last edited:
That Ready Player One was absolute garbage. We watched about 20 minutes and pulled the plug.

His name does not a good movie make. Some great movies for sure, Duel was fantastic for 1971. Some very ordinary ones too. And seriously, why are they 'his' movies anyway? He directs/produces them. I watch movies for the acting, by the actual actors. I don't give a ra#s ass who is barking orders behind the camera to be honest.

I just looked at his list of movies. For me about half of them are decent, the rest I wouldn't bother watching again.

But like anything 'art', it's subjective isn't it?

I haven't seen all of Spielberg's movies, so I am operating with a limited data set. He is an incredibly talented director, who has made some directorial perfect movies, such as Jaws and Duel. He even managed to coax some real acting from Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds. However, he lacks subtlety; he should watch more Sergio Leone films to learn the power of understatement. He has a penchant for the maudlin and for pandering to juvenile sentimentality that I find annoying and, frankly, insulting to children, who in my experience are capable of deeper emotional sophistication than he gives them credit for. ET is one of the worst offenders in this regard, but scenes from many other films possess the same irritating, mawkish quality.

He has made a lot of bad movies: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom / Crystal Skull, 1941, Hook (what a waste of acting talent), Munich, The Color Purple, and I'm sure a few others that I haven't seen.

Many people who read the fantastic Ready Player One book (such as me) did not like his movie rendition. Interestingly enough, people who did like the movie tended to be those that didn't read the book first.

Ready Player One is a great action romp by any standard, that makes it a pretty good film.

It is not however, a great book adaptation.

Back
Top Bottom