Spindle Screw on Pioneer PL-112D / platter removal please help!

royalvelvet

Hello,

I have been scouring the internet and can't find any examples of this problem. I'm simply trying to replace the belt on my Pioneer PL112D. In theory I should be able to just lift the platter off, however there is an arm with a screw holding the plastic bit on the spindle in place (I've attached a photo) and therefore I can't lift it off. I also cannot reach the screw with a screwdriver. I unscrewed the bottom of the player to see if I could reach it from the bottom but I'm wondering if there is an easier way to remove the platter without having to take the whole player apart. All other examples I've seen around don't have this arm or screw and the platter easily lifts off.

I've tried oiling the spindle to see if I can lift the platter off the spindle to no avail. Also taping it etc.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Last edited:
What you are seeing in the photo actually holds the centre spindle in place not the platter.
If you use the handle of a heavy screwdriver or something similar to tap on the centre spindle as you lift the platter it should eventually give.
A little lubricant put on the spindle can help.
Patience and persistence

Heating the platter in the spindle area (don't go crazy, but it does need to get hot) may loosen congealed gunk. A hot air gun or blow torch (be careful!) will work.
But first - get someone to help you by pulling up on the platter while you rap on the spindle - either use a plastic head hammer or a piece of wood between the regular hammer and the spindle. Tapping may not do it, and smashing may have negative side effect. But usually a good smart rap will result in the platter letting go suddenly, so be prepared for an abrupt acceleration upward in your helper's forearms, and he or she should make sure to hang onto the platter, lest it go flying and bonk one of you or the turntable as it descends to earth.

Take off the perspex lid.
Put thumb and forefinger through platter holes and pull up and hold (the platter will come up several mm and stop)
With your other hand, use a whisky glass or flat bottomed thick glass to tap down firmly on the top of the spindle.
Easy. Works every time.

Optional: use whisky glass for whisky afterwards...

Take off the perspex lid.
Put thumb and forefinger through platter holes and pull up and hold (the platter will come up several mm and stop)
With your other hand, use a whisky glass or flat bottomed thick glass to tap down firmly on the top of the spindle.
Easy. Works every time.

Optional: use whisky glass for whisky afterwards...

I use the screwdriver method, even though I prefer bloody marys to screwdrivers. Whiskey is good too.

As you've guessed by the above responses, the platter is just stuck on the spindle. There is nothing that actually holds it on other than friction. Tapping on the end of the spindle with a plastic headed hammer or butt end of a screwdriver as you pull up on the platter should do the trick. It shouldn't take much to make this happen so don't hit it too hard.

Back
Top Bottom