Spinning 78's through an RIAA applied EQ Curve- Adjustments?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Arthur Smith, Aug 30, 2017.

1. sberger

sberger Hard Core Geezer Subscriber

Why? He said he's using a 3 mil 78 stylus. Exactly what he should be using. I prefer a stylus that tracks higher then 2.5g for my 78's, but other then that there is no issue.

Dennman6, beat_truck and eb2jim like this.
  2. Arthur Smith

Arthur Smith Well-Known Member

I have heard the original Robert Johnson 78's played at about 80-85% of their original speed, and they sound much truer to life than the collection reissues, where they remastered they at 78RPM, and his voice is much too high of a pitch.

3. jusmee

jusmee Active Member

4. Arthur Smith

I think it's because there are some people afraid to play their records out of fear they will instantly inflict damage onto the grooves, or who look at their stylus, and don't listen to music.

woodj likes this.
  5. Arthur Smith

Some people enjoy fretting about playing music, as if putting a stylus onto a disc is like a ticking time bomb.

Dennman6 and woodj like this.
  6. Poinzy

Poinzy Super Member

Thanks for the warning.

7. sberger

I think it was more out of confusion of the type of stylus necessary to play 78's. In your case, a regular turntable, and not a Victrola is being used. You're using the correct stylus, but like it's been alluded to try a heavier tracking force. It will most likely sound better, reduce noise, and track better. If you're using the the Pfanstiehl 710-D3(the recommended one for your cartridge) max tracking force is 4g.

8. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

No confusion, the cartridge is not correct for the cut of the records, it oscillates from side to side and not up and down.
    The records designed for steel needle are shellac and iron impregnated for durability against the steel needles.
    He's not spinning 50s 12 inch 78s,

9. sberger

It makes no difference. He can use a regular stereo cartridge with his 78 stylus and be fine. Won't hurt the records, won't hurt the stylus.

Ilikevinyl and Arthur Smith like this.
  10. 4-2-7

11. sberger

Why are you assuming that he's playing records that should only be played on a Victrola? The real danger is playing more modern 78's on a Victrola. Those will get chewed up fast.

12. s rassi

s rassi Member

What makes a record only playable on a Victrola (using those disposable steel needles, right?)

13. Arthur Smith

When did playing records turn people into ninny's? They are meant to be played, not fretted over. Do people buy cartridges and styli and go into panic mode about wear?

Dennman6 likes this.
  14. eb2jim

eb2jim Super Member

Turntable plays 78? Check.
    78 needle on cartridge? Check.
    Pitch control for help finding A440 pitch if you want? Check.
    Tracking adjustable? Check.
    Amp to play it through? Check.
    Result: Enjoyment without damage.
    Fine by me.

Dennman6, beat_truck and Arthur Smith like this.
  15. 4-2-7

Precisely my point, the records are made different, there is a reason you can't use a 50s 78 records on a player that uses steel needle. But it's ok for old orthophonic recording and acoustic ones. I rest my case as the records are made of shellac and iron to withstand the steel needle, which will put a lot of ware on a modern diamond stylus.

16. sberger

Please. He asked for advice on one thing and got mostly wrong advice delivered in a condescending manner on something completely different. Who is trolling?

eb2jim likes this.
  17. sberger

Again, the problem is not playing the records with a modern 78 stylus. It's playing latter day 78's with a steel needle. What he's doing is fine.

18. sberger

Not in this one.

Arthur Smith likes this.
  19. benricci

benricci Active Member

I kinda agree, at least for this thread. I haven't paid attention to his other stuff.

20. 4-2-7

Do tell, again why is it ok that a steel needle will not harm (much) old orthophonic recording and acoustic ones, but will chewed 50s 78 record fast? <your avoiding this...

Until you come to the realization that a modern vinyl record wares out a modern diamond stylus. Thus playing a old orthophonic recording and acoustic one is like running the same diamond stylus over a sharpening stone because of this records make up.