Spinning 78's through an RIAA applied EQ Curve- Adjustments?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Arthur Smith, Aug 30, 2017.

1. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

I personally play everything, but actually do it correctly.

1915 Victrola, Acoustic Records, with steel needle

IMG_1232.jpg IMG_1230.JPG

1930 General Motors Radio, The Queen Anne : Ceramic cartridge with steel stylus,SUT and Amplified for Orthophonic Recording.

IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1101.JPG

1954 Zenith console with Cobramatic 78,45 33,16 speed record changer, Mono, for modern 78 and vinyl records.

IMG_1152.JPG IMG_0876.JPG

Dennman6 and Condorsat like this.
  2. Arthur Smith

Arthur Smith Well-Known Member

There is no "correct" way to play these. Unless your approach is the only way, which you seem to feel, it is.

3. 4-2-7

I never said that, my way is the only way, you just did not want to hear that your diamond stylus will not last long playing very old Orthophonic and Acoustic records that are impregnated with iron to withstand the use of a steel needle. You like to bicker and fight with people that try to help you.

And yes there is a correct way for mostly everything in life and if you look at I think was my 2nd post in this thread. I said "if it sounds good to you that's cool", incorrect or not.

4. Arthur Smith

I have a sapphire .3 mil on my Garrard which is built into my Grundig Majestic console, and this .3mil on my AT. I am not kidding, they both sound really good!

5. 4-2-7

Well that's wonderfull

Arthur Smith likes this.
  6. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

Regular 78s have lateral grooves. Edison DDs and Pathe discs have vertical (hill and dale) grooves. To play them, you can wire one channel of the cartridge out of phase (reverse the + and - leads).

7. Max77

Max77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

You must be new here, that's just how 4-2-7 is. He apparently even knows more about playing acoustic 78s than Joe Bussard does. You know, the guy with the greatest 78 collection in the world.

Back on topic, I used the RIAA curve on my pre before I really got into 78s, simple bass/treble adjustments got me pretty good quality. I've since gone to a KAB VSP MK2 and haven't looked back. I don't hear much difference on some of the curves, but the noise reduction is valuable.

Dennman6 likes this.
  8. jusmee

jusmee Active Member

We shouldn't forget that. I find the same.

9. Arthur Smith

Where in my post did I say I was only concerned with the playback of pre-Orthophonic 78's?

10. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

This is the most sensible post in the entire thread.

I found that my 78s were a lot more enjoyable when I flipped on the treble cut switch on my Fisher X-100. This makes sense because a.) a lot of the crackle was suppressed; and b.) many of the pre-RIAA curves were more treble-boosted than RIAA:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eb2jim and I LIKE MUSIC like this.
  11. vwestlife

vwestlife Active Member

Or you can do the old trick of turning the speakers to face away from you, or put your player at the top of the stairs and listen to it one floor below. The lower frequencies will make it down the stairs, but the higher frequencies (and thus the hiss and crackle) will get absorbed along the way. :)

beatcomber likes this.
  12. Max77

Max77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Where in my post did I say you are only concerned with the playback of pre-Otrhophonic 78's?

beat_truck likes this.
  13. rothwellaudio

rothwellaudio Forums Sponsor Sponsor

What a detailed, informative and thorough post - I was impressed.
    I was a lot less impressed by the OP's response below.

14. tubeactive

tubeactive AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi Rothwell ! Thanks for appreciating the info. Have you checked out the audacityteam EQ chart info ? What a pleasant surprise to see a digital transfer site share so much "simply spin 'em" playback EQ info. Their "go to" EQ info source was/is midimagic, which is also worth exploring.

Are you considering creating a multiple EQ phono stage ? I am always amazed that as the USA usually used four or five EQ curves circa 1950-1965, the European and British record manufacturers used a different four or five curves. This leads to complicated switching and wiring in order to provide all the "usable" curves for the world's vintage discs on one unit. For passive EQ, the chore is much easier than for active feedback EQ...

15. needlestein

needlestein AK Subscriber Subscriber

I thought it was a great response, too. Really nice, really I formative, dense but manageable, and super helpful.

16. rothwellaudio

rothwellaudio Forums Sponsor Sponsor

No, I haven't checked out the Audacity info yet, but I will. I've used Audacity and found it very useful.
    No, I'm not considering a multi EQ phonostage as a commercial product simply because I think the vast majority of customers are happy with RIAA playback because they're playing records that were recorded to the RIAA standard. Of course, there are people to have collections of pre-RIAA recordings and they would no doubt be interested in other playback curves, but their needs are already catered for by other phonostages.