SPL Meter

jt1135

I have a couple of ARC mikes from anthem (got an extra one when I returned my receiver because of HDMI issues). Is there any software for pc's that I could hook up the mike and use it to adjust my gains on my amps?

Many of those types of mics are specific to the device it came with. However, it won't hurt to try. Although I use REW I have no idea how it would work with an ARC mic. If you have a smart phone there are a number of free SPL apps available. They don't have to be especially accurate as you'll be measuring relative differences not based on an absolute reference as is a calibrated mic.

Thanks. I'll dick around with it and see. I use an old windows phone and just looked and by god the actually have a couple. Amazed they actually had one.

Check out Room EQ Wizard. It has provisions for using a mic to calibrate not just home theater systems. It will be fun to dink (that's a technical term!) around with it a bit.

Word of Warning: It is crazy-making to dink with EQ'ing the room. Be prepared to get confused because what it says is a perfectly EQ's room will sound like crap to your ears. Still it is a good exercise to understand what that means.

Cheers,

David

Adjust gains for what purpose?

Gonna be running a Yammie c4 preamp with Focal Aria 905s through a Yamaha M80 on pre1 and Monitor Audio Silver one's through a Yamaha M4 on pre 2. Just want to set em up at the same db level when running both sets of speaker together. Plus the MA's are biampable so I do have a Yamaha MX2 sitting doing nothing so might throw that in also even tho probably won't make much of a difference. Got em sitting here so just figuring a way that I can use em all. Rack would be M80, M4, MX2, C4, CDC 775 and DT-2 all Yamaha.

Check out Room EQ Wizard. It has provisions for using a mic to calibrate not just home theater systems. It will be fun to dink (that's a technical term!) around with it a bit.

Word of Warning: It is crazy-making to dink with EQ'ing the room. Be prepared to get confused because what it says is a perfectly EQ's room will sound like crap to your ears. Still it is a good exercise to understand what that means.

Cheers,

David

Thanks

Personally, for something like that, think I'd just dial in the preference by ear.

It's not like you're going to leave the gains set for equal SPL from each speaker if you didn't like the result, right?

True, guess I'm just screwing around. Something to do on a cold winter day in Minnesota. I'm starting to enjoy myself by changing stuff around:)

Back
Top Bottom