Spotify is having trouble.

Jayrosc

I love Spotify, but of late it seems to be having trouble searching for stuff that I want. Endless minutes of the Spotify wheel turning as it "searches" for what I've asked for.
Again, great service, but I don't want to pay for mediocre stuff.
Am I the only one?

I've only logged on twice in the last week or so, but, yes, I noticed there seems to be a lag time in search and selections...but only seconds, not minutes.

Having major financial issues also.
Would not be surprised if its already being considered for a buy out. They are paying to much for royalties,can' make a profit.They would Benifit from 5g but it' years away nation wide. Liberty Media has deep pockets,they bought Sirius/XM,they could ride it out until 5g.

Would not be surprised if its already being considered for a buy out. They are paying to much for royalties,can' make a profit.They would Benifit from 5g but it' years away nation wide. Liberty Media has deep pockets,they bought Sirius/XM,they could ride it out until 5g.

HUH? They just had an IPO last week (unconventional but an IPO) so they are raising cash. They are also growing at a breathtaking rate (100 million subscribers to be added this year.) They need to start making a profit soon but they have deep pockets and their forecasts are showing profits coming......a far better situation than Tidal for instance that is on its collective ass. Spotify has had massive revenue growth last year despite losing money and they have a huge loyal paying subscriber base. Now does that make the outlook rosy? No, but they are in a far better position than any other streaming platform that only streams music. Apple is different because it can rely on their hardware business to sustain the loses incurred by streaming.

Oh and 4G streams their Premium service perfectly, ask me as I have it and use it in the car at times. Spotify is growing like crazy (read some of the linked articles) and the challenge is to start making money but they grew revenue massively last year. Are they in trouble? Not yet because of their revenue stream and cash reserves, but they need to start turning a profit in the next few years. At this time there is nobody on the horizon looking to buy then out.

https://www.ft.com/content/dddfbcb2-30f4-11e8-b5bf-23cb17fd1498

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...eaming-music-giants-direct-listing-2018-03-02

https://www.recode.net/2018/3/26/17...dance-ipo-revenue-gross-margin-operating-loss

"
Here is Spotify’s version:

• Spotify thinks it will end 2018 with as many as 96 million paid subscribers, up from 71 million last year. That would be an increase of up to 36 percent.
  • Spotify thinks revenue could hit $6.6 billion, up 30 percent. (An earlier version of this story incorrectly reported the top end of Spotify’s revenue estimate).
  • Crucially, Spotify thinks gross margins could get to 25 percent, up from 21 percent. This is the core of Spotify’s pitch to investors: As it gets bigger, it can improve its leverage with the big music labels, so it can get better terms. It also thinks it will find ways of generating revenue that aren’t dependent on deals with the big music labels. More on that later.
  • And that’s why Spotify thinks operating losses will shrink from $500 million to $409 million. As much as $50 million of those losses will be a one-time charge, generated by costs associated with its IPO.
Encouraging. And again, it would be surprising if it wasn’t.

Since we’re here, a couple things that stood out about Spotify’s predictions for its first quarter, which ends in a few days:

• Spotify thinks gross margins could climb to 24 percent in Q1 alone. Again, that’s up from 21 percent at the end of last year, and looks like quite a steep ramp. Investors will want to know more about what made things move so quickly.
  • Spotify isn’t sure whether it added two million paid subs this quarter or five million or something in between. Spotify predicts paid subs will hit somewhere between 73 million and 76 million this quarter. Again, the quarter ends at the end of March, which is in a few days. You would think Spotify would have a more precise estimate of its customer base at this point, but maybe I’m missing something."

I have always on occasion gotten the spinning wheel delays so I wouldn't say that is any sort of current issue. Sometimes it's on the users end too and maybe internet service rather than something at Spotify. Amazing how things can improve by occasionally turning your router off and back on. Also, be sure to get up dates for your router.

Last edited:
Even if your growing and making money you need to be able to keep up and really be out in front with hardware to support the growth.

But I can also say that internet providers also need to keep up and they don't either. Anything like this is dependent on a multi facet system with source, provider and equipment hardware be it theirs or yours.

I saw a pierce where Spoify has admitted up to 2 million users have figured out how to get the service add free without paying for it. Also they inflated their membership numbers by including free trial 30 day customers. I agree streaming is the future but they are in an area where competition will be stiff. I knew of the IPO but a few financial investrs I have subscribed to said steer clear of it until they are closer to being profitable.

I have always on occasion gotten the spinning wheel delays so I wouldn't say that is any sort of current issue. Sometimes it's on the users end too and maybe internet service rather than something at Spotify. Amazing how things can improve by occasionally turning your router off and back on. Also, be sure to get up dates for your router.

I live halfway up a mountain where Windstream is the only ISP. At the bottom of the mountain, there's always one or two Windstream trucks parked at the switch hub. There's usually a card game and 16 oz. refreshments going on...so, no, I can't point to Spotify as the culprit ☺

Endless minutes of the Spotify wheel turning as it "searches" for what I've asked for.

You're not alone. Me too, but I fixed it. I found the fix by doing a Web search.

All I did was delete Spotify and reload it. There's something about file corruption that reinitializes when you do the delete/reload routine. No more frustrations! Hope this might help you out, too.

Dave

Spotify's "shuffle play"... the randomizer, SUCKS. Mostly the same 30-songs from my 1,050-song playlist every damned day :( It's enough to make you never want to hear "Cinnamon Girl" ever again! YES; I've done all the settings, updates, tips-n-tricks to try and fix this. There is an EPIC thread on the Spotify forum about this problem...

Spotify's "shuffle play"... the randomizer, SUCKS. Mostly the same 30-songs from my 1,050-song playlist every damned day :( It's enough to make you never want to hear "Cinnamon Girl" ever again! YES; I've done all the settings, updates, tips-n-tricks to try and fix this. There is an EPIC thread on the Spotify forum about this problem...
One of the main reasons I didn't bother with Spotify even when I had it for free for 3 months. Amazon's music service doesn't have station shuffle so you get a limited choice there as well unless you change the station manually.

I love Spotify, but of late it seems to be having trouble searching for stuff that I want. Endless minutes of the Spotify wheel turning as it "searches" for what I've asked for.
Again, great service, but I don't want to pay for mediocre stuff.
Am I the only one?

are you using it on your phone or PC? The app can be a pain in the ars... There is no way to clear the metadata, you will need to delete the app, than reinstall it. It will clear the chase and you should be good to go for another few months... Good luck with it!

are you using it on your phone or PC? The app can be a pain in the ars... There is no way to clear the metadata, you will need to delete the app, than reinstall it. It will clear the chase and you should be good to go for another few months... Good luck with it!

I do the same thing every few months with the phones and tablets that have the app. Actually apps like Facebook etc do the same thing and need to be deleted and re installed to keep from bloating your device like crazy.

I do the same thing every few months with the phones and tablets that have the app. Actually apps like Facebook etc do the same thing and need to be deleted and re installed to keep from bloating your device like crazy.

It's a real pain, I wish Spotify had a way to clear it without having to delete the app. I do use Spotify a lot, but lately it has not had much use as I'm tired of having to delete it every so often.

It's a real pain, I wish Spotify had a way to clear it without having to delete the app. I do use Spotify a lot, but lately it has not had much use as I'm tired of having to delete it every so often.

Most all apps are the same way......updates bloat them out and even cleaning the caches dont help....Google, Chrome along with Facebook etc.

i havnt used it much tho i have had the free version for a while
but i really does look like the way of the future
there are a few albums that i could not find new due to age
spotify had them

but i have had to reinstall a couple times and thats on a win 10 pc
and its a pain that it does not co-operate with jriver

Back
Top Bottom