Spotify Killed the Sirius Star

PAGS

This isn't an indictment of satellite radio. In fact, I just re-upped SiriusXM for another year, mostly for the various news channels. (Of course, I didn't pay "sticker." I called up and said I was cancelling, which honestly I would have, so they halved the annual subscription price.) After a while, however, SiriusXM's music and comedy channels become fairly repetitive, and the fidelity is bad. I'm guessing they stuff too many channels into the satellite signal. The sound quality of Apple lossy at 128 kbps from an old iPod directly into the car radio sounds fantastic compared to music on Sirius XM.

Also this weekend, I broke down and susystemed to Spotify Premium. All I can say is, "Wow!" A HUGE selection of all kinds of music. It certainly will expand my musical horizons. And the fidelity on my main system is great. While somewhat noticeable, there isn't that big a difference between the 320 kbps of Spotify and PCM or even DSD (SACD).

I'm wondering, with the ability to download music from Spotify to mobile devices and unlimited data now being offered by several wireless carriers, will SiriusXM soon to go the way of Blockbuster?

Last edited:
Streaming is great, but there are still huge areas where cellular data is flaky at best. XM still wins for many folks. The download option helps with this, but only if you have the connection in the first place.

i'll bet XM will last until the transmitting satellites fail.

AM radio isn't dead yet.

AM radio isn't dead yet.

True, but AM seems to have been hijacked by right-leaning talk shows (trying to be apolitical and kind here), fundamentalist Christians, and Spanish language stations (they might be good, but my Spanish stinks).

Come to think of it that might really sell: a far-right, fire and brimstone, Spanish-speaking talk radio station!

That's in metro areas. Unless it's late at night and you're getting AM skip, in the boonies it's nada (one of my 10 Spanish words).

Last edited:
I have both xm & Spotify. Have had xm for about 12 or 13yrs and just recently subscribed to Spotify premium. I agree that Spotify has expanded my music library immensely. I like the XM in the car, and while working ( I drive tractor trailers). I like the variety of sports (NHL & NFL) especially and the news channels when there are major news stories. I do listen to the music channels according to the mood I'm in but do find them to be repetitive at times. The Spotify is fantastic and having a Yamaha hd cdr component in my system, I have the ability to make my own music and burn it to cd's to bring with me to work. I think xm/sirrius will be around for a while yet but I refuse to pay the full price also. Spotify I think is definitely here to stay as long as there are cellphones. I don't listen on my phone, but the younger generations like the convenience.

How does Spotify compare with streaming services like Deezer and Tidal which are supposed to be near CD quality in delivery?

Never heard Deezer, or Tidal but I find the quality extremely good. I've made a couple of cd's burned from the hard drive from the machine that I use and I think it sounds pretty damn good. I'm using a yamaha A-S801 integrated with a built in dac and I was very suprised. It's not the quality of what my vinyl rig can do, but I find it very acceptable. Hope this helps. Others I'm sure will chime in.

Never heard Deezer, or Tidal but I find the quality extremely good. I've made a couple of cd's burned from the hard drive from the machine that I use and I think it sounds pretty damn good. I'm using a yamaha A-S801 integrated with a built in dac and I was very suprised. It's not the quality of what my vinyl rig can do, but I find it very acceptable. Hope this helps. Others I'm sure will chime in.

I am a vinyl guy too. I subscribed to Deezer because it was the HQ streaming service that works with the new Bose streamer. It is half the cost of Sonus. So far I have been satisfied that I can find the music I want to listen to. I use it to screen music and buy the vinyl if I like it. Kind of backwards but that's it.

SiriusXM can die in a fire. Aside from the crap sound quality, they've got some truly sketchy business practices and I resent the heck out of the fact that to get a decent factory audio system in a car, it comes with their hardware and nagging phone calls until I block all of their numbers.

I have Spotify Premium and rarely play CDs or records anymore. Streaming is so easy to use that it has pretty much killed my urge to use any other format. When my wife is at work I usually have Spotify on while doing my chores or projects etc. It has taken a few months but I have playlists for every mood I am in with all of the genres that I like. And I love the fact that the service sends me new songs based on what I listen to.

I use pandora in my car, and cox music choice at home. Records and cds at home when I want to hear something specific. The wifely one uses Sirius in the car.

SiriusXM can die in a fire. Aside from the crap sound quality, they've got some truly sketchy business practices and I resent the heck out of the fact that to get a decent factory audio system in a car, it comes with their hardware and nagging phone calls until I block all of their numbers.
I have two cars with Sirius. I made the mistake of signing up for a 90 day trial. They hounded me until I got ugly, but we still get their junk mail. It just kills them that they have a machine in my car to suck money out of my wallet and I won't let them.

Sound quality is horrendous, cassettes in my truck sound much better. After three days they repeat themselves. I never listen to jackasses on talk radio,much less pay for the privilege.

I gotta be the most subscribed guy on earth.
I've had XM since BEFORE it was rolled out on the east coast. I've got Pandora whatever they call the old Pandora One, and top tiers of Spotify and Tidal.
I like Pandora for background.
I can tell a difference between Spotify and Tidal (especially Masters)...well, I can tell a difference if I double check which one is streaming ;o

I like DJs, especially when driving, so I keep SXM. But I also have Spotify Premium for the family. Kids prefer that.

I don't think Sirius is doomed just yet, but if auto manufacturers decide to abandon it, they probably wouldn't last long. The service is great for people that don't care about SQ and just want a lot of variety with a touch of a button, while having coverage in the middle of nowhere. I just bought a new vehicle and it came with some sort of 5 year Sirius travel link subscription and a year of SiriusXM (covering every channel and also giving me access anywhere...including mobile). The deal is sweeter this time around, so it could be that they realize music streaming is breathing down their neck. I rarely listen to it, though. I prefer Apple Music and podcasts.

As a side note, no one has "hijacked" AM. The stations available, which around here is more sports talk than anything, are there because they get ratings and advertising fees. Those other formats that have failed just weren't entertaining enough to attract listeners. That may be one good thing about SiriusXM, for some, because they offer more variety because they can afford to let others pay for stuff few are listening to. It is similar to cable TV in the way people pay for a lot of stations they have no interest in. Heck, I am sure it was built into the price of my car, but it feels like a freebie since it isn't a line item on the sticker....that is probably why auto makers like it.

I have Sirius hardware in both my cars but don't use it in favor of Pandora. I can't see using something you don't have control of. If there's something on Pandora I don't like it gets the thumbs down never to be heard again.

+1 on this, my car came with Sirius and they nagged the crap out of me, I finally had to tell them I sold the car so they would quit calling and mailing me every week or so.

I use both XM and Tidal HiFi. They really are different animals. Wifey and I use XM in our cars and enjoy the genre based stations. She especially likes the Broadway channel.

Tidal, like Spotify allows you to choose album, track or playlist with Tidal HiFi delivering a CD quality FLAC stream. Listening to XM on office computer now using their browser based player which allows for higher bitrates than the satellite feed. Have LMS plug in to hear Tidal on the music systems.

I enjoy each for different reasons, but both expose me to new music. :)

"God damn the Pusher Man" (Steppenwolf)

XM long, long ago, then Pandora (128 kbps), then Pandora One (192), then MOG (320), MOG goes buh bye, onward with Spotify Priemium (Still 320 but gots to have them bits)...THEN...Beta tested Deezer Elite thru Sonos at 1411 kbps.:yikes:. It's a wonderful time to be living in. When the pusher man offers more bits, I'm sure I'll sign up. God damn the Pusher Man. :)

Back
Top Bottom