Spotting audio gear in the movies, TV, etc.

I saw In one of the early black & white Mission Impossible series episodes(sorry don`t remember the episode !), Jim Phelps(Peter Graves) enters a HiFi store to listen to a record that he plays to hear about his next mission, and during his walking to a private listening booth, one can see what surely looks like a Mac MC 225 amp on a shelf in one of the shots, with black gaffers tape applied across the chrome Mac name/model badge on the side of the amp facing the camera.

But the outline of the amp is IMHO no doubt, a early ~mid sixties Mac tube amplifier IICCR..

I have the complete DVD series, but it`s not time for me to be interested in watching the series so soon again, to confirm.

Look into it, if your interested in finding out..

I saw In one of the early black & white Mission Impossible series episodes(sorry don`t remember the episode !), Jim Phelps(Peter Graves) enters a HiFi store to listen to a record that he plays to hear about his next mission, and during his walking to a private listening booth, one can see what surely looks like a Mac MC 225 amp on a shelf in one of the shots, with black gaffers tape applied across the chrome Mac name/model badge on the side of the amp facing the camera.

But the outline of the amp is IMHO no doubt, a early ~mid sixties Mac tube amplifier IICCR..

I have the complete DVD series, but it`s not time for me to be interested in watching the series so soon again, to confirm.

Look into it, if your interested in finding out..

How did he destroy his assignment message? Blow up the listening booth?

How did he destroy his assignment message? Blow up the listening booth?
No Todd, Mr. Phelps didn`t blow up the booth(LOL !!), IIRC. the "assignment record" a few seconds after it finished playing smoked like acid was poured on it, or some kind of reactive chemical action, not unlike the small reels of tape would do when a small tape recorder was used..

Last edited:
I couldn't find any pictures, but I've been binging on the British detective series DCI Banks.

Odd how detectives seem to be into jazz - cool with me.

Anyway, DCI Alan Banks has an audio system in his house; records and CDs. Can't pinpoint the gear, but I think it's Arcam based with a "S" shaped TT; definitely and Audio Technica cartridge.

If TV commercials count, there's the Marriott commercial with a Marantz receiver, Bose speakers, and a TT(?)

I couldn't find any pictures, but I've been binging on the British detective series DCI Banks.

Odd how detectives seem to be into jazz - cool with me.

Anyway, DCI Alan Banks has an audio system in his house; records and CDs. Can't pinpoint the gear, but I think it's Arcam based with a "S" shaped TT; definitely and Audio Technica cartridge.

Inspector Morse was always escaping his depression with his opera records and scotch whiskey.
The new series Endeavor shows Morse as young man...leaning towards jazz and pop.

Endeavor (young Inspector Morse) digging some Madame Butterfly on an Alba player.
attachment.php

Old Morse with a fine looking machine...
48bf63598d8f994218d48ed52ab5b563.jpg
I

I think he's rockin' a Roksan Xerxes? I've never heard of it until I found these pics.

morse.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw the movie Equalizer 2, in an older gentleman's apartment there is a clear shot of either a 2230 or possibly a 2245 along with what looks like a Dual turntable. Did not recognize the speakers.

Didn't actually "spot" the gear, but we were watching a 1994 classic, The Browning Version, which boasts a cast of several of the top Brit actors in a traditional boy's school. At one point they're discussing the upcoming annual Awards Day ceremonies, and the recital by the school choir. Someone mentions that they will probably need "twenty Tannoys, I should think". I told my wife that Tannoys were speakers, and she asked if I had any. No, I said, as I Googled up an image of some Westminsters and their price. She looked at them for a full three or four minutes. She handed my phone back, and said "...but you'll only need two of them, right?"

HBO's series, Sharp Objects, which is sort of interesting/twisted, shows quite a few shots of a system that includes VPI TT, Sim Audio Moon components, but I have yet to see the speakers used, might have missed them somehow. In one of the episodes, might be the season finale, there is a brief showing of a Linn LP12 I believe and something else. Only watched it once, and it comes up quickly.

House also had Duevel Bella Luna loudspeakers I believe....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom