Squashed Dynamics = Listener's Fatigue

Being an Audiophile does not mean playing your sound system so loud as to shake walls or peal paint. The idea is authentic levels and spectrum and dynamic realism. If all you listen to is un-natural pop artists with their sound systems blaring at concerts as a reference you have been led astray. Attend concerts, recitals, and other forums where there isn't a PA system in sight. Only then will you have a true reference as to what a audiophile sound system should portray.

Being an Audiophile does not mean playing your sound system so loud as to shake walls or peal paint. The idea is authentic levels and spectrum and dynamic realism. If all you listen to is un-natural pop artists with their sound systems blaring at concerts as a reference you have been led astray. Attend concerts, recitals, and other forums where there isn't a PA system in sight. Only then will you have a true reference as to what a audiophile sound system should portray.
Yeah, but... What if what you like best is pop artists with their sound systems blaring at concerts?

I guess it is just human nature to bitch and moan about things one doesn't like. Same for rose-colored glasses for some of us old geezers, which I sometimes doff myself, on special occasions. Comments in another recent thread drove home to me the point that I don't know what constitutes pop music anymore. I don't know anything about Justin Bieber, who was mentioned (along with the names of other performers to whom I never listen); don't know a single song title by the guy, and wouldn't recognize his voice if I did (or have) encounter(ed) one of his hits, assuming he had any.

Now, I can bitch and moan with the best, but not about him. I remain blissfully ignorant - did I miss anything worth hearing? If being honest, I must answer with an I don't know. So, despite being open to most all music, I must admit that I tend to avoid some of the more popular acts. I assume they won't be my cup of tea. But I've always been this way - some sort of anti-societal independent streak lurks below. In some cases, it worked to my disadvantage, when I finally heard a song, or viewed a movie, and found it was pretty damn good, after all. Millions of fans can't always be wrong; still won't take any bets on the hurdled masses, though.

Therefore, please allow me to enter the spirit of this thread, and rather than extoll the virtues of the music I enjoy most, choose instead to bitch and moan about just how much I can't stand Justin Bieber (whoever he is)...

I guess it is just human nature to bitch and moan about things one doesn't like.
This.

It's also human nature to elevate one's personal preference -- the things one does and doesn't like -- to moral imperative. I.e., thou shalt like <insert preferred thing here>, or thou shalt loathe <insert loathed thing here>, because if I like/loathe it then it must be right to do so and everyone should do it too, because I feel it's right.

This.

It's also human nature to elevate one's personal preference -- the things one does and doesn't like -- to moral imperative. I.e., thou shalt like <insert preferred thing here>, or thou shalt loathe <insert loathed thing here>, because if I like/loathe it then it must be right to do so and everyone should do it too, because I feel it's right.
:) :thumbsup:

Note the tongue was firmly in cheek...

Nice post, Dave. I especially enjoyed the moral imperative comment. though if it were left to me, the first imperative would be that almost everybody else should have better morals than I... just a few of my closest friends could have lower... :D

As for the topic of this thread... Inasmuch as I don't really hear much current pop music, I can't say a lot about the alleged compressed dynamic, but that tends to also be a factor with some rock, so I well understand the complaint

Back when I drove cars, I stuck with cassette (longer than most) until the option disappeared. One of the few advantages of the medium in a post-CD world was the bit of compression resulting from recording to cassette, making for a easier moderate-SPL listen in the higher ambient noise environment of a vehicle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom