Squeezebox - How do I know if I need new streaming device?

shacky

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been struggling wit my Squeezebox Touch not connecting, buffering ... and generally frustrating me when I want to sit down and listen to music. Seems I need to restart computer, squeezebox, or wireless router. Then one or other or a combination seems to get things working.

How can I determine if it's my router or do I need to start looking for a Squeezebox replacement?

I run Speedtest from my phone on same WiFi and get very good results. But not sure if that's checking my wireless router or just the cable router?

Have you tried a factory reset of the touch? Also, there is a network test in the touch, I would run that.

Will do. I just found someone moved my wifi router and it stretches the cord to main router. I repositioned and it seems better.

I've been struggling wit my Squeezebox Touch not connecting, buffering ... and generally frustrating me when I want to sit down and listen to music. Seems I need to restart computer, squeezebox, or wireless router.
As a former Touch user, most likely your issue is with your network infrastructure, not the player itself.

Having said that, if you can handle a bit of DIY assembly, you can purchase a superior sounding product for $120.

I too, am an iPeng user and replaced the Touch in the garage with a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer.

I only use the SQB as streamer feeding lossless Files to my tube DAC. I've got it working better but it's still stopping short of end of song now and then. I think it may be time for new wifi router.

Any suggestions?

SSID: Linksys53574
Protocol: 802.11n
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 2.4 GHz
Network channel: 1
DNS suffix search list: rochester.rr.com
Manufacturer: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.
Description: Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ)
Driver version: 3.0.2.201

My laptop to WiFi connection is messing up. Have to disconnect the connect again and all is good.

I only use the SQB as streamer feeding lossless Files to my tube DAC. I've got it working better but it's still stopping short of end of song now and then. I think it may be time for new wifi router.
Such would require understanding a number of things:
1. Do you send WAV or FLAC to the streamer? Having the server can be beneficial, but requires more bandwidth.
2. How far away is the Touch? How many walls does the signal have to penetrate on the way?

I use a separate router with three access points in my environment. That provides distributed coverage of WiFi for a wide range of places including a separate garage area.

I stream Apple Lossless files. Router downstairs in split level on same wall but opposit side as Touch. I'm usually with laptop on far side of upstairs room so little farther to router.

I know the double wireless jump is stretching things but it has worked very well in past. I am definitely having trouble with laptop to wifi and my wife has noted she has to keep reconnecting from her iPad for surfing. So I think a new router is in order.

Model I have now is Lyndia EA6300

I wired my laptop to wifi router and it's working perfectly! Guess I don't need new streaming device - but maybe new laptop and leave old as dedicated server..

Back
Top Bottom