Squeezebox Officially Dead

xiaNaix

Logitech is officially discontinuing the entire Squeezebox line in favor of a more "user-friendly" product with less features. If you are a current SB user, pick up spare hardware while you still can as the Touch and all of the other SB products are officially EOL and have already been removed from Logitech's website. :tears:

The official forums have basically exploded with rage from angry Squeezebox users but most of the relevant information, including some interesting stories from former Squeezebox coders, can be found in this thread...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96188-New-Squeezebox-Radio

Last edited:
Holy bleepin' crap, so that is why I could not find much info on their website last night.

Last edited:
Holy bleepin' crap, so that is why I could not find much info on their website last night.

I noticed that last night, too. Bad, bad move on their part.

So glad I didn't order a squeezebox last week like I had planned. It would have been a disaster anyway because Logitech doesn't support LG-NAS but they stop talking to you when you inquire about that.

Last edited:
The real question is will they still support the software end of it for existing customers.

The real question is will they still support the software end of it for existing customers.

That depends on what you mean by "support." It's not likely that there will be any official updates to the firmware or server software going forward. All indications from official sources so far are that mysqueezebox.com will continue to function at least for a while (possibly a year or two). Erland Isaksson, who coded a lot of really nice third-party plugins, has been putting feelers out to see if people would be interested in paying a small fee for continued "unofficial" support in some capacity. I'm sure the userbase will take over from here but, as far as Logitech is concerned, don't hold your breath. Really a crappy move on their part.

Man, how stupid. So apparantley the new radio that looks just like the SB radio is dumbed down for "mass appeal". Ugh, LCD revenge for the mouthbreathers. :(

This is horrible news. Worse yet, it seems that no one understands what the future holds. I have been planning to buy another Touch for my living room but have no idea how long these devices will be supported.

cubdog

Here is what Erland Isaksson, plugin developer, had to say over at the official forums. Some promising hints in there.

erland said:
Let's not panic yet.

As I said in another thread, I suggest that people shouldn't panic and start abandoning the hardware at this time.
I can't go into any further details at the moment but I want to remind everyone that even though we might love the Logitech software we also really love the Squeezebox hardware, the Squeezebox hardware is very open and with custom/patched firmware it's possible to use it without the need for a Logitech maintained software/firmware at all.

I do realize we need something that isn't dependent on Logitech hardware/software on longer terms but on short terms the Logitech software/hardware will continue to work great and there are solutions for people that need additional hardware players:
- With Apple iPhone/iPod Touch:
-- iPeng on an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad (even have audiophile support with the right docking station and latest iPeng version)
-- SqueezePad on an iPad
- With Android based hardware:
-- SqueezePlayer on an Android devices
- With a Vortexbox Appliance, which as previously mentioned isn't just a server, it's can also be a Squeezebox player.

Also remember that due to their open solutions it's a not that unlikely that your Squeezebox hardware and the above hardware devices will be reusable in another system, a Sonos hardware would on the other hand very likely only be usable in a Sonos system so going out and buy a Sonos already now would make you even more stuck than you already is. Sonos might turn out to be the best option in the end, but in my opinion it's too early assume that yet.

Your Squeezebox system worked great August 28'th, it's working great today and it's also very likely going to work great 6-12 months in the future. On longer terms you might need something else but it's not urgent, so I suggest you wait and see a bit what happens during next 6-12 months before starting to switch to a competing closed or more limited system.

I personally don't have any plans to abandon or replace my Squeezebox hardware at the moment.

This is horrible news. Worse yet, it seems that no one understands what the future holds. I have been planning to buy another Touch for my living room but have no idea how long these devices will be supported.

cubdog

Same here, now I am not so sure if I should buy that extra Touch I was wanting to get. :scratch2:

This is bad news, but I don't understand why if the software and firmware works now why it won't work in six months or six years from now.

This is bad news, but I don't understand why if the software and firmware works now why it won't work in six months or six years from now.

It will. The only functionality you may lose in the future will happen if mysqueezebox.com shuts down. If that happens, Internet Radio and My Apps navigation would no longer work. In that case, third-party hacks to support those functions would surely become available.

appears to be another 'larger company (Logitech) buys smaller company (Squeezebox) and proceeds to screw it up' scenario.

I'm sure there will be something to fill the void. I think my Duet is the bee's knee's and surprised it's not wildly popular.

It's more like large company (Logitech) buys small company (Squeezebox) then buys another small company (Ultimate Ears) and proceeds to screw up both. The products replacing SB are all branded as UE.

"Some people like cupcakes better. I, for one, care less for them."

I am going to hold my boulder squeezebox close until the day it cannot be used any longer. Sorry to hear this, but I shouldn't be too shocked I guess.

I've pretty much given up that any manufacturer will produce a "Internet Radio" device that is listenable. I *Heard* the $2K top end unit from SlimDevices a few years ago. I bought a Roku 1001, which they soon discontinued. I ended up buying a Macbook Pro as an interface to my stored music and listen to internet radio. If the audio community won't produce the products...WTF???

iToons is also becoming a lousy product, so I wonder how long it will be before I will have to purchase professional music database software, and a DJ like interface for my Mac. Logitech was never a savvy company anyway. I don't like the 'sound' from a Roku device either. Obviously they don't want our money.

appears to be another 'larger company (Logitech) buys smaller company (Squeezebox) and proceeds to screw it up' scenario.

I'm sure there will be something to fill the void. I think my Duet is the bee's knee's and surprised it's not wildly popular.

It's not wildly popular because:
1: It's a MAC device in a 90% Windows world
2: It's very, very expensive for what it does.

Back
Top Bottom