Squeezebox Officially Dead

I don't understand, why pay so much money for the touch? Even before it went up - why pay $200? How is the normal Squeezebox not sufficient, this thing simply plays music from online radio or your online music library exactly the same as a plain old normal Squeezebox right? Even if a color screen might be neat, the much lower price of the normal one makes the most sense since you're listening to the music and the difference is purely in the interface you interact with (Unless I'm not getting something here).

The touch connects to any stereo system via analog RCA or Toslink or coax, is wireless, but also has a Ethernet (RJ45) connection in back just in case. It also handles hi-rez files and has a good built in DAC. It's also small and can sit in almost any cabinet or next to any gear. The normal Squeezebox has a built in speaker and while one can connect it via headphone jack, that is not the best way to go.
Of course I won't even look at one now at the current prices. I feel rather fortunate to have grabbed one back when they were new and on sale for $209.

Last edited:
I think Vistance was referring to the discontinued "classic", which is RCA/Coax, wifi/wired, very small, does not have a speaker, and has a solid DAC that will not do "hi-rez". It's going for a bit over $100 used.

The Squeezebox 3, Duet, and Touch were all about $300 when new. Each was the "normal" squeezebox since they were never made in parallel once the replacement model was established.

Oh, I thought the screen was the only difference - was gonna say that seems like a silly reason for its price to skyrocket. I picked up my Squeezebox for $30 but seems they're going for $100 on eBay now. I always thought the original Squeezebox went for $100 when it was new, I'm a bit of a late joiner to this party only having bought my Squeezebox a few months ago.

Still enjoy my Touch, that gets fed into the Mytek DAC, although it's only used these days for internet radio since I've made the migration over to using my Mac Mini as the main digital source.

Only actual SB device left in working condition is a Duet. My Classic displays nothing on the screen even though I know its powered on because the light for the optical plug is on. I now use two pogoplugs running squeezelite and the aforementioned Duet. I stream my own library of .flac files, use internet radio and for now MOG.

Sorry for sounding like generic tech support, but have you tried powering it off and back on? My SB classic occasionally will go blank and if I unplug it and plug it back in and try to power it on it will usually correct itself. No idea what causes it, but it does periodically happen. My classic still works fine, it's the only SB I have.

Sorry for sounding like generic tech support, but have you tried powering it off and back on? My SB classic occasionally will go blank and if I unplug it and plug it back in and try to power it on it will usually correct itself. No idea what causes it, but it does periodically happen. My classic still works fine, it's the only SB I have.
Yes, I have tried many times to power it on and off along with a myriad of other fixes from the internet. Thanks for trying to help.

Idatlof, is it controllable from the computer interface, or does it show up as a selectable squeezebox device. If it's just the display it can be controlled remotely. Also I assume you swapped out the power supply just in case it's bad.

Idatlof you may of tried this but it's worth a shot as mine did the same thing. Press the brightness button as mine for some reason defaulted to display off. I thought it was broken until I had seen that it happened to someone else.

Idatlof you may of tried this but it's worth a shot as mine did the same thing. Press the brightness button as mine for some reason defaulted to display off. I thought it was broken until I had seen that it happened to someone else.
That didn't work either. Nothing shows up in LMS or in my router even when plugged in directly to the router. All I get is the little red light so it is getting power. I have also tried a different power supply. Thanks for trying to help me. :thmbsp:

When my classic went dark it turned out to be a dead wifi card (you'd think they could've come up with an error message for that, wouldn't you?).

When my classic went dark it turned out to be a dead wifi card (you'd think they could've come up with an error message for that, wouldn't you?).
I think I've even tried powering it up with the wifi card removed. Is there a way to determine if the wifi card is still good?

I think I've even tried powering it up with the wifi card removed. Is there a way to determine if the wifi card is still good?
If there is, I didn't find one. I suppose you could try it in a laptop. Mine had power but wouldn't boot, just blank screen, the internet said a bad wifi adapter card does it, I searched for a few model #s that people said worked, found one on ebay for very cheap, and gave it a try. This was several years ago. I can give you the model number if you want, but my ebay receipt seems to be long gone.

If there is, I didn't find one. I suppose you could try it in a laptop. Mine had power but wouldn't boot, just blank screen, the internet said a bad wifi adapter card does it, I searched for a few model #s that people said worked, found one on ebay for very cheap, and gave it a try. This was several years ago. I can give you the model number if you want, but my ebay receipt seems to be long gone.
I am not sure whether it is the wifi card or not because when I removed it and the daughter board as well it still does not boot up. I also tried it with the daughter board installed but with out the wifi card. It still doesn't work. I also tried another power supply. I am not really sure what to do next.

Well, I'm a little confused, because I just tried mine without the card and it DOES boot without it, which is weird because I could swear I tried that before I bought the replacement card, but I guess not.

Still enjoy my Touch, that gets fed into the Mytek DAC, although it's only used these days for internet radio since I've made the migration over to using my Mac Mini as the main digital source.

Same here - I've got an odds & sods set-up: a Duet receiver that I use only for online radio/streaming through mysqueezebox.com, and which I generally control off an Ubuntu laptop. For the rest, I have a broken Macbook Air from mid-2010 that I have set up to never sleep, which runs closed and streams iTunes. I subscribe to Match, which means I don't much care where my music is.

I use TeamViewer to control it, again from Ubuntu.

s.

This thread started August 30, 2012 with the quotation: "Logitech is officially discontinuing the entire Squeezebox line"
The hardware sales ceased about 6 years ago but I still have 6 working units: Two Squeezebox Touch, Squeezebox SB3, two Squeezebox Booms and one Squeezebox Radio. One of the Touch units was purchased at the very end of the line and only used it a couple times to test but keeping that one in reserve. The main Squeezebox Touch has been in daily operation for about 7 years. Both Booms and one radio are in daily operation. The Squeezebox SB3 (my original unit) still works fine but keeping that one as a spare also. The Logitech web sight is still being supported which is a big surprise and kept up to date. Also all the software is still available for download. I plan on using the devices well into the future, only had one soft failure and that was the main Touch unit's power supply which was measuring slightly low voltage, the symptom of this low voltage was the remote unit showed a very noticeable reduction in range but still worked in close proximity to the unit. I substituted a Hewlett Packard laboratory supply locked at 5 volts and its working fine including the remote control. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else is still using the original hardware.

This thread started August 30, 2012 with the quotation: "Logitech is officially discontinuing the entire Squeezebox line"
The hardware sales ceased about 6 years ago but I still have 6 working units: Two Squeezebox Touch, Squeezebox SB3, two Squeezebox Booms and one Squeezebox Radio. One of the Touch units was purchased at the very end of the line and only used it a couple times to test but keeping that one in reserve. The main Squeezebox Touch has been in daily operation for about 7 years. Both Booms and one radio are in daily operation. The Squeezebox SB3 (my original unit) still works fine but keeping that one as a spare also. The Logitech web sight is still being supported which is a big surprise and kept up to date. Also all the software is still available for download. I plan on using the devices well into the future, only had one soft failure and that was the main Touch unit's power supply which was measuring slightly low voltage, the symptom of this low voltage was the remote unit showed a very noticeable reduction in range but still worked in close proximity to the unit. I substituted a Hewlett Packard laboratory supply locked at 5 volts and its working fine including the remote control. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else is still using the original hardware.

Still use my Touch. Have though about buying a Transporter.

Back
Top Bottom