Squier Bass For Granddaughter

danrclem

My 13 year old granddaughter is wanting a bass guitar and I'm thinking about buying her one for Christmas. She's musically inclined and is in the 8th grade band and also is in a very good high school marching band playing percussion. I think she's about 5' 6" and has a slim build. I'm guessing she'd be able to play the full scale instead of the short scale because of her size and she'll probably grow some more. I'll probably buy her a used one that's in good shape.

I need to be schooled on the lower priced Squier bass guitars. I see Vintage Modified Jaguar, Affinity Precision PJ, Modified, Affinity Jazz, Affinity PJ Bass Limited, Affinity Series J Bass and there may be others. Except for the Jaguar they all look about the same. Are there any appreciable differences between them? Does the short scale have less frets or is it just a shorter neck with less space between the frets?

There are two Squier P Bass guitars in the area for $100 and $115 that are supposed to be in good shape. I guessing that these are just older versions of the newer Precision Bass. Would she be just as well off with one of these or should I get her a new one?

Well anyway I'd appreciate any information that you people can give me and it'll be appreciated.

I can't comment on all the different flavors of basses...hopefully a bass player will chime in. But, as a guitar player, i have the bronco bass...cheapo made off-shore...about 150 new.
It's a fine beginner, and i find it very easy to play because of the shorter neck. I upgraded the pickup, but other than that it's been used live and for recording and works just fine.

You'll have to look and test the used ones to be sure they don't have issues.

You're gonna need an amp too....and a gig bag.

just my 2 cents.

I would go with a full scale bass. If she has small hands might consider the neck thickness-width.

$100-$115 isn't bad for a bass if it's in decent shape.

Another option might be if you have a Guitar Center near you, often they often have some used instruments on trade and might pick one up at a decent price also.

I can recall seeing some really sweet Ibanez Basses at a Guitar Center once and was surprised at how nice they looked and felt and were very low priced.

Of course with an electric bass, one needs a small amp, cord, and a cheapo gig bag is nice to have to transport, go for lessons-etc.

I can say one thing... don't rely on price and pretty finish! A properly setup guitar or bass guitar should be easy to play! Period! That means no neck warp. Number of frets doesn't matter. Fingering is essential String height to frets is low as possible. Most young lose interest because they don't find themselves improving because parents don't know crap about what is a good guitar is and buy junk. Not saying squier is junk.. properly set up. And she can try it out for a while.

Question is how long has your G.daughter been interested in playing or is it a whim? So you're out 100+ and can't sell it? Flip is take lessons and use a store bass and sometimes you can rent instruments. Again.. looks are not the deal.. ease of play is number one. If continued interest is noted? then you can upgrade..
another thing!!... keep your eyes open for an acoustic style electric bass, these are usually lighter, too. And a good teacher... her school music is encouraging and her fellow musicians can also help, too.
Bink...

Thanks for all of the replies and the link James.

I talked to her dad awhile ago and we're going to take her to Guitar Center Saturday. We probably won't buy new but this will be a way of finding out what works best for her. I told her that a bass might not be very fun to play by herself but she says that's what she wants and wants to learn another instrument. This is her third year in band so instruments isn't just a passing fancy. Her dad probably won't be able to show her squat about playing the bass but I do have some guitar experience and would be able to show her some basics. We'll look at some Ibanez while we're there too. She has an amp for her drum set but I told her that she wouldn't be able to play it loud because she might blow the speaker.

I'm interested in Squier because I know a lot of bass players play Fender and read several good reviews on the Squier. I know they won't be of the same quality as Fender but should be similar. I'm open to other suggestions too and the Squier isn't the only one that I might possibly buy. I know buying a better one probably is the best thing to do but I'm probably not going to drop a lot of coin for one just on the small chance that it may be just a phase. Hopefully I can find one that I can get most of my money back just in case she wants to go better later on.

My 13 year old granddaughter is wanting a bass guitar and I'm thinking about buying her one for Christmas. She's musically inclined and is in the 8th grade band and also is in a very good high school marching band playing percussion. I think she's about 5' 6" and has a slim build. I'm guessing she'd be able to play the full scale instead of the short scale because of her size and she'll probably grow some more. I'll probably buy her a used one that's in good shape.

I need to be schooled on the lower priced Squier bass guitars. I see Vintage Modified Jaguar, Affinity Precision PJ, Modified, Affinity Jazz, Affinity PJ Bass Limited, Affinity Series J Bass and there may be others. Except for the Jaguar they all look about the same. Are there any appreciable differences between them? Does the short scale have less frets or is it just a shorter neck with less space between the frets?

There are two Squier P Bass guitars in the area for $100 and $115 that are supposed to be in good shape. I guessing that these are just older versions of the newer Precision Bass. Would she be just as well off with one of these or should I get her a new one?

Well anyway I'd appreciate any information that you people can give me and it'll be appreciated.

Go for the vintage modified Jaguar. It’s a medium scale bass and a bit easier to play than a full size. But it is not a toy. It’s a real bass with great sound. There’s a big group of players who love these. Check out the forum basstalk. There’s a massive thread on the Jags. I had one for a few years and it was a solid bass that sounded great out of my Ampeg amp.

Watch out for a Black Friday deal on a Squier Bass and an amp. There should be plenty to be had at Sweetwater, Musicians Friend & Zzounds etc.

Give it a pro-setup and find her a good teacher and she might possibly have music in her heart forever. That's what my mother did over 50 years ago.

Rather than a full-sized bass such as Squier, I'd let her try a Fender Musicmaster, which is 3/4 size. Make it easy on her. She's not Duff McKeagan. Set the bass up with a low action and relatively light strings; 100-80-60-40. If you have to replace or refine the nut to get the strings low for her, then there are some tutorials on how to do those things at home.
Once she strengthens her hands and perhaps gets bigger, then she can shop around.

The Fender Musicmaster I'm sure is a very good product but tends to be above what I'm wanting to spend. I know that buying the best that you can afford makes sense but while I think she'll follow through with learning the bass there's still an outside chance that she may not.

There have been two Squier bass guitars (Bronco and Jaguar) mentioned above that are small scale and we'll be trying one out this weekend. I'm going to let her try out full scale and small scale and see what works best for her. I haven't found either of them used in my area so if we go this route we may have to go new. They also have a used Ibanez SR400 there so I want her to try it out too. Might be a Black Friday purchase.

Thanks for all of the responses.

My main instrument is guitar but i don't have much of a problem playing either standard or short scale bass.
My suggestion is to let her decide what she wants. Set a price point and take her shopping.
I wouldn't just buy something myself, even with the help of knowledgeable friends and hand it to her, unless she actually specified it.

I’ve been playing a Squier VM Jaguar for a few years and like it very much. Though I’m also 6’4”.
I also have a Squier Bronco for backup and it’s very fun to play.
Either way, get a bass in her hands!

We got back from Guitar Center awhile ago. The used Ibanez SR400 was really smooth and was probably the best thing in the price range but it seemed a little big for her. She tried a Squier Bronco SS and it seemed like a much better fit and they didn't have a VM Jaguar SS in stock and if we ordered the color that she wants it wouldn't ship until Dec. 26th. I asked a salesman about Black Friday and he said that it would be 15% off. If somebody else has a similar sale with one in stock I'll probably order it online. I hate to do it that way but I want her to have it for Christmas.

I made my order just awhile ago from Spotlight Music. I went with a silver Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar SS.

The reason that I went with Spotlight is because they open the box up and they do a "professional setup" and it was in stock. I talked to one their guys on the phone and he went through a list of things that they check and do. They offered 10% off of their regular price. Guitar Center has a 15% off but they just give you the guitar as is unless you pay extra for a setup.

Spotlight Music also has an A+ rating on BBB.

squier-jaguar-bass-short-scale-silver-1.jpg

Okay got that base covered.. Amp?
-- Now... an aside.. Imo.. everyday is xmas! Some days you get what you want and some days you get 'coal'. :D
Now how about a case? A stand?
Do ya think you can wait till xmas to see that look on her face? :D

She has an amp for her electronic drums that she's going to use but I told her that if she played it very loud that it could blow her speaker. She's gonna have to get her dad and mom to get her another amp or wait until next Christmas. Same for a case and stand.

I'd like to give it to her now but I'll have to wait until Christmas to see the look on her face. She doesn't know that I ordered it yet and I think I'm going to tell her that they couldn't ship it until after Christmas. She'll really be surprised when she opens it up or I may just set it in an inconspicuous place and let her find it. :rflmao:

Well just thinking.... Too romantic!! She's 13... Ya okay 8 years ago and a doll house sure..

The impedance of the drum amp? hmmm... I'd take another look at that drum amp.. speakers?? I doubt they are bass compatible.. (hint) Hold the amp hostage!!! That way she has to come see you! She's no dummy and knows she has you any time she wants. So.. Black-male!! works every time!!

I'm really not sure what her amp is. Her dad probably bought it for her when she got the drums but he's (my son) not exactly musically inclined and probably didn't do any research to see what she needed. I'll have to check it out and see.

I received an email a little earlier today that says it will be delivered sometime Saturday morning or early Saturday evening.

Back
Top Bottom