Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Vintage Modified '51

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Vintage Modified Tele Special w/ Jazzmaster neck pup and neck

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
I ordered the pots and switch from The Art Of Tone, mainly based on price and recommendations. I've used STRATosphere but it's hard to get a reply from about inquiries. I Checked out Chris Guitars and you're right about the website. It hurts my eyes to look at it but he has a lot of nice stuff and worth looking into.

After way too much agonizing over pickups, I ordered some
Fender Tex Mex. There were a lot of other pups that I considered but after all it is a Squire so I need to keep it real.

Last edited:
Picked up indonesian sq-strat on the cheap 145 and in pretty nice shape with bone in neck (came out nice and strait after adjusting) holds the tuning very well. Decided to invest a tad like new pots and caps and properly solder as pre-owner modded face as shown just poor soldering and grounding inside to the shield, too. (really eliminates a lot of that potential poor grounding if noisy.) Should have got a proper switch when I had it open but wasn't sure to keep it and wanted to see effects of internal work. Hmm dead quiet now and neck action (I like it as low as it can go and I've seen some expensive guitars where the neck top fret clearance you could put a pencil through the gap where this is about .035 Super easy to play. Could go on further with pickups and paint job, but doubt anyone would seriously buy it as costs would approach a new one and have to put on consignment. But I have to admit it is light and fun to play,
zdlMnrc.jpg

G8kHdgC.jpg

I think I'm finished with this one. I put in a new switch and pots, installed a set of Fender Tex Mex pickups. The only cosmetic changes are a set of aged white knobs switch tip and p'up covers and a black Graph Tech nut. The tuners are fine but I might consider a different tremolo with a full size block.

I wet sanded and buffed out the body. Polished the frets and filed the fret edges.

I played with several wiring configurations. Middle and bridge pickups sharing a tone pot. Then neck and bridge with tone pots with the middle open. I ended up with a master volume, master tone with the other pot used as a blender. I really like the tonal options with that circuit.
004.JPG

Last edited:
I just got this Squier Bullet with an HSS pickup configuration. It's not quite the quality of the black one and I haven't decided whether or not to put any effort into it. The neck and body are nice but the tuners and bridge are pretty cheap so it might cost more than it's worth to bring it up to snuff. (But I'll probably do it anyway) ;)

Edit: That didn't take long. I decided the use the bridge from my SE in this one and just ordered a bridge with a full size block for the SE. Also got a good deal on a set of tuners and I have some tonerider pickups on hand. I'll have less than $200 into it overall so not really over-upgraded after all.

010.JPG
008.JPG

Last edited:
That didn't take long. I decided the use the bridge from my SE in this one and just ordered a bridge with a full size block for the SE. Also got a good deal on a set of tuners and I have some tonerider pickups on hand. I'll have less than $200 into it overall so not really over-upgraded after all.
:D:trebon:

Just pulled the trigger after 24 hrs of deliberating. https://imgur.com/a/QqDqDM4
(299 +45 ship + insur.) 22 fret 1.7" nut width, Hoping this will dominate my playing choice. I do like my epi lp which is like new condition.. not one scratch or blem with a pair of new gibson gold buckers installed. should bring enough to cover the cost of this Vox but the squier I have I'd like to move too. Wrong scale for my finger tips.

going to start a new thread on building or assembling versus buying & fixing whats wrong.. hope you chime in John.

Last edited:
I finished the HSS Bullet. Swapped out the cheap black bridge with the SE bridge and the black tuners for some Fender tuners. Put in the Tonerider pickups and I found a Fender Diamondback humbucker which I split with a push/pull tone knob. Installed a black Tusg nut and painted the headstock satin black. That's a lot to do to a Squier but after spending too much I've learned to really shop for good deals on parts.

002.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG

Last edited:
Last week my boss gave me his essentially unused Affinity Strat. Made in '99, all white, rosewood fretboard, 3 single PUs, Squier Champ 15 practice amp (not a bad little unit, actually), bag, etc. Yes, it's a narrow-neck chicomm model but, overall, it ain't terrible. It did/does have some (mostly easy) issues.

I already have the neck off and straightened. The frets need some attention so, I'll be taking it to a local shop that I had do another guitar. I'll give the rest of the job a go myself. Input jack was loose so that's been remedied. Both tone pots were loose and, because of a short/solid jumper between, turning one to its stop point would start to move the other. Took care of that. Gave the pots and switch a DeoxIT shower (switch got a light swipe of their grease). Re-clocked the knobs. Filed the trem block opening because the block fouled against one side and generally would not have full movement (was set up solid. I plan to float the trem, obviously). Tuners have been removed/cleaned/lubed/reinstalled as of last night (night and day difference even without strings loading them).

Got on the GFS site and bought a steel trem block (out with the shitty cast zinc piece), bar, and bone nut (it, and the block, are specific to the asian/narrow model). Should have the bits by Wednesday (shipped this morning).

I figure I'll have about $100 total in it when I'm done and it'll be A) far better than when it was brand new and B) a better instrument than I am a player. Maybe it'll spark me to (re, re, re, re)start practicing again.

Looks just like this one -

FEN-0301713080-3.jpg

Nice! I've been watching for a white one.

I did pick up this Starcaster. I couldn't resist the color. Full thickness body, decent tuners and bridge and a comfortable neck with no fret sprout. Maybe sub-Squire but as good as any that I've ever had. It plays and sounds so good that I think I'll change the strings and call it good.

014.JPG

005.JPG

Last edited:
Picked this Squire up last Friday, dirt cheap, at a radio show, and it was literally sitting in the dirt by a table all day!! Made an offer as I was leaving, and it followed me home!!! Indonesia Strat, about 10 years old... Disassembled it over the weekend, polished the paint, and all the metal parts... Polished the frets, got new strings and set intonation, string height and action... For a cheap, modern Strat knock off, it sounds surprisingly good... Think I'll keep it,,, I have a loaded humbucker pick guard that can be swapped in later for S&G...

Attachments

• P5040112.JPG
    P5040112.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 23
I got a Fender pickguard in a parts trade and decided to give the SE that I pictured earlier a different look. I think it looks classier than the white guard that it came with.

008.JPG
007.JPG

Last edited:
Real nice posts! Fun to review this thread when it pops up. Seems like all the posters are pretty happy with their stuff.
bink

Update on my Squier gear:

My Vintage Modified Thinline Tele moved along to a new home and I bought a cheap Affinity Strat. The exciting news is that I have a used J Mascis Jazzmaster on a UPS truck en route to me right now! I'm really excited to play it when it arrives. My first Fender offset style guitar.

I'll post pics soon.

New screws and whammy bar came from China in less than 3weeks,,, seems pretty quick compared to posted schedule... Screws fit good,, I plugged and drilled a few holes, so the new screw heads would be flush, I guess
pre-drilling screw holes wasn't in the budget!!! Whammy bar was too long and bent wrong, took about an hour to cut it to size and rebend,,, but it was the proper thickness and thread, so I'll call it good... Its slowly coming around!!!

Attachments

• P5230137.JPG
    P5230137.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 12
I got a Fender pickguard in a parts trade and decided to give the SE that I pictured earlier a different look. I think it looks classier than the white guard that it came with.
The cream knobs and pickups did look out of place with the white pickguard. You've got some better matching contrast there with the tortiseshell.

Here's a little Squier Mini that I did just for fun. it was black and pretty beat up when I got it. It had metal numbers, like mailbox numbers, stuck on it. The hardware was pretty grungy. cleaned polished the frets and cleaned and oiled the fretboard. I painted it in a satin color with matt clear coats. The pickups are from a different Squier. I installed new pots. It setup really nicely and it's a blast to play.

004.JPG 022.JPG

I just received a new Squier that I ordered from Guitar Center. Mostly because it was on sale and I love the color.

Stock photo.

preview.jpg

Back
Top Bottom