Squirrels Need Heathcare too!

I wouldn't mind seeing the end of all squirrels. Then maybe I'd be able to concentrate on ...

Look ... squirrel!!

Er ... what was I saying?

That story got regurgitated on three of the local news programs here in the Twin Cities. Would have been interesting to see the kid get bit as squirrels like to play possem when injured. I've seen them suddenly come to life, bite and then run.
I got a backyard full of them tree rats, can't shoot them fast enough. Too bad more people don't realize the damage those little shits do, them and the rabbits. It's one thing to raid the bird feeders but chewing on my deck, tearing up my landscaping and planter boxes, digging holes all over the yard and chewing up my low voltage wiring are just too over the top. :mad:
I've got one of them [blah blah blah - Political rhetoric deleted - Mods]
... university professors for a neighbor and he doesn't condone herd thinning. He actually requested one of my neighbors stop using the bird seed they had been putting in their own feeder because it was attracting the wrong kind of birds and scaring away the birds he was trying to attract. Says he doesn't appreciate seeing traps setting out in the yard, I told him they were live traps that wouldn't harm the animals and that seemed to suffice. What I didn't tell him is that the trap and rodent take a dip in the pond afterwards.

TARGETS! All of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squirrels are def more of an annoyance than a "cute little bugger". We have no rabbits locally since, I presume, foxes and the recent addition of coyotes have them for meals ...

Last edited:
In my neck of the woods there's a special department for squirrel road kill pickup. :)

Rome

The tree in front of my step-daughters took a direct lightning hit; afterwards there was a 'ring' of 6-8 dead squirrels around the tree - out to about 20 feet!
Tough way to make a living, tough way to die.
They can be an annoyance, but then they Do clean up all the dang walnuts so I don't have to deal with 'em.

Mfrench was over on that other thread, shooting every squirrel in sight.

Now, it's spilling over to here.

The Anti-Squirrel grows stronger everyday.

The SoCal Ground Squirrels, aka, Beecheys Marmot. Extremely destructive, in overabundance, and their fleas carry three deadly diseases; Hanta Virus, Typhus, and, the Bubonic Plague.
I've had a long drawn out battle for my western perimeter. Actually, for the entire property, but, focusing on the western perimeter mother lode, that you can actually see the den entrance from outer space. seriously!
I thought that I'd made some headway, when I went out to the western outpost, and, found a hole that could swallow a basketball just 30' from my outpost. I went to get the camera, and it took more dirt from down deep, and it backfilled the entrance before i got back with the camera.
So, they came back with a new challenge. That challenge will likely be met. But, not until the grond dries out; they don't like to get their fur wet, and stay in until the sun comes back out (learning your adversary, and their every move).
It is flat out war here. All targets - no mercy.

tumblr_lr2rhx9eWU1qelfo7o1_400.gif

Back in the late 70s I worked for one of the local bean warehouses, where we took harvested dry beans from the field, cleaned them, and sacked them for sale. Out behind one of the warehouses was a pile of dirt about 20' tall and 50-75 feet in diameter that came from the bean cleaning operation. It was alive with squirrels. The boss wanted to thin the population, so I got his approval to try something. We closed at noon on Saturdays, so I had 5 or 6 of the guys that worked there to bring their shotguns if they had one.

We also sold fertilizer, and had 1500 gallon pressurized nurse tanks that held anhydrous ammonia. For those who don't know, regular household ammonia is about 5%, while anhydrous is 82% - strong stuff. It's heaver that air when releases, so wee took a tank, stuck the discharge hose in one of the top holes, moved upwind, and cracked the valve and let the ammonia settle in. Needless to say, once the squirrels got a whiff, they ran for fresh air. That's where the shotguns came in.

I don't remember how many squirrels we got that day - between 50 and 75 if my memory serves me correct. And I'm sure there were plenty more inside the dirt pile that didn't make it out.

Sure made the weeds grow on the dirt pile!!

@usedto

Our problem here with the rodents stems from an abandoned macadamia nut farm. It is at least 5 acres, and might even be substantially more.
We met the folk who owned it, just before they bailed on it. He related a story to us that is somewhat similar to what you related.

He would use welding gases, and inject them into the burrows, and then ignite them. This would cause quite a loud boom, and raise the dirt for as large an area as they had burrowed; by some scientific accounts, this can be four feet deep, and 30' in diameter.
He was also somehow involved in the Mac Nut Farmers of America, or some such focus group. He would conduct seminars in how to blast open Marmot (ground squirrel) dens. I guess our little street would overflow with people that attended these seminars.
Well, he had another one of the seminar blast fests, and, forgot to alert the local cops. They got spooked that someone was terrorizing the outer reaches of our spot in nowhere, and they came out in full force, with the helicopters, SWAT, Bomb Squad, everything that they could drag out.
They raided his party, and, when they found out what he was doing, they asked that he at least give them the heads up before doing so. They then did the big u-turn, rolled back towards the town. Our little dell was now deemed safe and ready for more explosions.

Choices for eliminating them:
> Trapping.
But, then you are not allowed to release them anywhere else. So they sell traps that fit into plastic tubs that are just a bit deeper than the trap when filled w/ water. And then you get to witness squirrel fizzies. Or you get to gas them somehow, or,... plinking them with pellets at close range.

> Poison
Who wants that? And we have a productive resident Redtail Hawk nest at the outer western perimeter. I'd hate to poison them in the process.

> Sniping
ding ding ding
slow, but highly effective.

Back
Top Bottom