SR 2000 issues

BillFL

I recently purchased a Marantz SR 2000. When I bought it the controls were scratchy, and there were some drop-outs. Recently there is an intermittent hum like FM static that comes over the music, or even dead air, that doesn't change when I turn any of the dials, including volume. I was planning on cleaning the pots this weekend, what else should I look for.

These are the original caps, and the previous owner was using the receiver regularly up until a few years ago. I'm not ready to tackle any kind of recap, I've barely ever soldered, and not in more than a decade.

Thank you for your help.

I recently purchased a Marantz SR 2000. When I bought it the controls were scratchy, and there were some drop-outs. Recently there is an intermittent hum like FM static that comes over the music, or even dead air, that doesn't change when I turn any of the dials, including volume. I was planning on cleaning the pots this weekend, what else should I look for.

These are the original caps, and the previous owner was using the receiver regularly up until a few years ago. I'm not ready to tackle any kind of recap, I've barely ever soldered, and not in more than a decade.

Thank you for your help.

Just clean the pots. Dirty pots and switches can cause a surprisingly wide range of issues.

Hi Bill,welcome to AK:)

One area that has always given me trouble with this model (I use one in the shop as a signal source or for listening to other equipment) is the strip-actuated selector switch that is mounted on the PCB between the heatsink and the tuning capacitor.You should clean this switch vigorously and also check or just re-solder the conections to the board.The best way to clean the other switches is to actually remove all of the knobs and then the faceplate in order to have better access to the innards of the switches,as the rears are closed off.Sounds tricky,but it really isn't.Also,in order to make it easier to direct the control cleaner into the pots,heat the plastic straw and put a bend into it about a quarter inch from the end.Makes it a heck of a lot easier to get ''under'' the opening into the pots.

Cheers,

Art

CIMG1066.jpg

Back
Top Bottom