SR-202 Reverb Amplifier

freakquincy

What is the purpose of a Reverb Amplifier in a home stereo setup? I mean, I fully understand what reverb is for on a guitar amp/etc, but what's their application in home audio? Was that just a short lived fad or something?

I have one. They're cool to own. And you rarely encounter one. Use it occasionally in my tt setup with compression. Sounds just like the old days when I'd listen to the radio in the 70's.

Here is a SR-202W, I just picked it up for $35.00, MINT case. Seller said it works nicely.

I have not hooked it up yet any idea on how you do it? I will leave that to another thread.

Attachments

• 20170319_173854.jpg
    20170319_173854.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170319_173857.jpg
    20170319_173857.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 15
Reverb on a stereo is intended to add "depth" to the sound image.
Make you think the room is larger.
Best used in low levels otherwise it just sounds like an echo in a culvert.

YMMV

Turn it up and it becomes a Very distorted Echo in a culvert, to add to BLHagstrom's comment! Setting the SR-202W is like Brylcreem. a little dab'll do ya. Turn the main gain control all the way counter clockwise. This is the off or minimum setting. With the stereo on and the 202 connected and in the loop, advance the gain control VERY SLOWLY. You'll start hearing what sounds like a deepening of the sound (or an echo chamber effect) like you are in a large hall or arena. This is the best efect. Too much and it starts to distort the sound until you get garbled garbage out of the speakers. Ideally you'd set it to just as it's hitting the echo chamber sound, so it sounds like you are in a large hall or arena. With the 202, you can also connect two tape decks (tape loops). It gets complicated from there.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom