SR-838 Cartridge help

sinnerboy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just got an 838 tt, it needs a new stylus and wanted to see what the collective brain power of Audiokarma thought about it. The cartridge is Shure V15 Type III Supertrack. I know nothing about it, very little about other cartridges. I do have a Shure M97x-E cartridge/stylus that is new, would that be recommended? Or should I get a stylus for the V15 III?
I got this turntable from someone with whom I'm helping out with the hifi component of their estate sell. The dad was a collector years ago (20+ years ago) and used to work in a hifi shop here in NJ. I've inventoried everything and will be posting it for sale soon. EXCEPT.... he had an AU-20000 integrated amplifier, actually 2, the 838 tt and a TU-9900 tuner. I've decided to purchase those items from the estate. One of the integrateds is supposedly NOS, in original box. I haven't seen it yet but will soon. The other is in great condition, I'll be testing it out this week and make sure everything works. As soon as I confirm the NOS unit, the other will go up for sale. Anyway, thanks for any advice on the cartridge situation.

I have had a few carts on my 838 and currently am happy with the AT440MLb. The Denon DL110 was also a winner but liked a lot of power.

I have had a few carts on my 838 and currently am happy with the AT440MLb. The Denon DL110 was also a winner but liked a lot of power.
Yes, the low output of the HOMC DL-110 does require a big twist of the volume control on most units. Not a big deal if someone usually uses the volume up to 10:00 but if you use more than that the DL might not provide full volume without some preamp noise when you put the volume control to past 3:00. Have a similar DL-160 that needs more volume control but it is worth it for the sound.

As to the cartridge for the 838, depends on what you want to spend. If you are using a damn fine 838 a top of the line AU20000 and wanna slap a cheap, "we stopped making good cartridges years ago and now don't even make cartridges anymore" Shure M97 on it, you will be leaving a lot of information in the groove. If you get as nice a stylus for the V-15 you have you will be doing better, but there are some great cartridges for some good coin out there and something in the 500-900 range would really make that system sing. This is if you already have great speakers and have a good idea of how the other cartridges sound where you can then appreciate the expenditure. But if you are like most AKers, buy what you can. The 440 mentioned is nice but has a bit of a high end peak, tamable with cartridge loading. Good luck. Gonna be a nice rig.

Yes, the low output of the HOMC DL-110 does require a big twist of the volume control on most units. Not a big deal if someone usually uses the volume up to 10:00 but if you use more than that the DL might not provide full volume without some preamp noise when you put the volume control to past 3:00. Have a similar DL-160 that needs more volume control but it is worth it for the sound.

As to the cartridge for the 838, depends on what you want to spend. If you are using a damn fine 838 a top of the line AU20000 and wanna slap a cheap, "we stopped making good cartridges years ago and now don't even make cartridges anymore" Shure M97 on it, you will be leaving a lot of information in the groove. If you get as nice a stylus for the V-15 you have you will be doing better, but there are some great cartridges for some good coin out there and something in the 500-900 range would really make that system sing. This is if you already have great speakers and have a good idea of how the other cartridges sound where you can then appreciate the expenditure. But if you are like most AKers, buy what you can. The 440 mentioned is nice but has a bit of a high end peak, tamable with cartridge loading. Good luck. Gonna be a nice rig.

Thanks for the reality check! Message received....

Back
Top Bottom