srs735 in hospital

Good luck on your recovery--I just ran across this thread, and can sympathize. I am a contractor, and spend so much time in the air (ladders, scaffold, lifts), but managed a severe compression fracture of L1--of all things--helping a friend move--didn't fall off a roof or ladder--just down a steep staircase with 200lbs of books on a dolly that landed on top of me at the bottom of the stairs :eek: Lived with it for almost 18 months with basically no treatment--first doctor wanted to write me scripts for opioids like bags of M&Ms, second one was a "voodoo" doctor (and English was clearly a second or third language), and the third was "we can do fusion surgery next week"--not on me, you won't--so I just sucked it up and lived with it. Just last month, I underwent a laser procedure (2 actually) and the results are amazing. I am still recovering (not lifting heavy shit and not working 14hr days), but the outcome has been great (so far). So best wishes and good luck on your recovery!!!

Good luck on your recovery--I just ran across this thread, and can sympathize. I am a contractor, and spend so much time in the air (ladders, scaffold, lifts), but managed a severe compression fracture of L1--of all things--helping a friend move--didn't fall off a roof or ladder--just down a steep staircase with 200lbs of books on a dolly that landed on top of me at the bottom of the stairs :eek: Lived with it for almost 18 months with basically no treatment--first doctor wanted to write me scripts for opioids like bags of M&Ms, second one was a "voodoo" doctor (and English was clearly a second or third language), and the third was "we can do fusion surgery next week"--not on me, you won't--so I just sucked it up and lived with it. Just last month, I underwent a laser procedure (2 actually) and the results are amazing. I am still recovering (not lifting heavy shit and not working 14hr days), but the outcome has been great (so far). So best wishes and good luck on your recovery!!!

Wow, I'm so happy that things are working so well for you with your laser procedure

Surgery was something I wanted to avoid at all costs. After my fall my wife took me to my chiropractor of over 30 years. They took an x-ray and told me we had problems. We started talking about kyphoplasty. Then a 2nd less cloudy x-ray was taken which showed the T12 was no longer rectangular shaped, but severed into a wedge shape. Time for the ER

I was lucky enough to have a neurosurgeon that is also with Grady Hospital in Atlanta. He described what I had as a "very unstable fracture" that I was very fortunate not to have damaged my spinal cord. He got me fitted with a brace and took more x-rays. His conclusion was that if nothing shifted the vertebrae would heal, but I'd be hunched over at a 30 degree angle.

I opted for the surgery

I was released fro the hospital Sunday. We decided the house in the mountains wasn't the ideal place right now. So we are staying in a hotel. After the follow up with the Dr. next week we plan on heading to the coast, probably til spring

Sounds like a close call! Not unscathed, but getting better. Hang in there

Glad your moving around Stuart!! I looked into laser surgery for my back but apparently only some cases will laser surgery help. That TV ad you see about getting a quick, less then an inch incision and in a few hours your up and walking painfree is mainly BS. My doctor said they don't tell you the stories of folks shelling out up to $30k and it not working at all

Surgery was something I wanted to avoid at all costs.

I hear you there--LOUD AND CLEAR--that was pretty much my gut reaction from the get-go. But I didn't want to become a drug addict, didn't remotely trust the second doc, and after almost 18 months of little to no improvement, I gave in to the least invasive procedure possible--and thankfully, it seems to be working. Over the years, I have known far too many people that underwent neck or back surgery with little to no improvement, or even worse--but the technology has advanced, so I guess far better now.

Thank you for your kind comments, and best wishes for a full recovery!!!

We go to the Dr. tomorrow and am hoping he'll permit me to travel the 340 miles to the house on the coast.

The Physical Therapist and the RN that insurance company have given me the green light. So then I get to start going to Outpatient Physical Therapy

The side effects of the Percocet were way too much. Between the constipation and no sleep I took myself off it yesterday. I feel like a new person after one day. Today we left the hotel for the first time in 10 days, got a hair cut and went to the movies. WOW

I can't wait to listen to music, hold an lp, and embrace everything that people on AK understand that mere mortals just don't appreciate

My wife doesn't really understand the music, but she has been my rock, nurse, and as always, my best friend the past 3 weeks.

Thanks again for the best wishes and friends reaching out to me

I'm truly blessed
Stuart

Pics from Oct 22 and then today Nov 1st

stiches after 5 days.jpeg stiches after 2 weeks.jpeg

As someone who spends a lot of time on ladders , I might hate them more than any of you. Get well soon!

My barber looked at me today and asked what the hell happened. After I told him he said his rule is:

"When people retire they need to retire their ladders."

:idea:

Why the hell didn't he tell me that, my wife did, I just forgot to listen to her

Yeah I know :crazy: , me not her!!!

Thanks,
I'm hoping to retire while I can still climb a ladder.
I'm quite sure I'll be less enthusiastic about it after. :thumbsup:

An update, I was able to drive down to the coast last Friday.

So now I can listen to music to my hearts content, been mounting a few "new to me" cartridges and will finally get around to setting up my Ultrasonic and start cleaning and organizing my vinyl.

Here's a picture of my brace which I guess I'll be wearing for the next 6-8 months. The only time it comes off is to shower or sleep. Comfortable? Hell no, but as long as it keeps me from making a careless mistake I don't mind

my brace.jpg

Glad to hear your operation went well. Get some rest, now would be a good time for listening to your system, instead of moving equipment about. Maybe I'll send you some music?

Lee.

Lee sent me a box full of cd's which arrived today.

So, I'll be listening to stuff I've never heard before.

Many thanks Lee

:trebon:

Back
Top Bottom