ST-5000FW Help

Yamaha B-2

Just picked up a Sony ST-5000FW that am sending on to Radio X for a cleaning, recap and alignment (maybe filters, but am not sure). However, this will all be based on Mike's abilities as we have yet to find a service manual. Anyone out there have one or know where to find? My usual sources are striking out. In fact, one responded that he has over 8000 Sony manuals, but not the ST-5000FW (or ST-5000, either).

If I find one I promise to share with absolon. :D

Thanks.

B-2 You Dog You!

You must have a bottomless well of money to buy all this stuff and then get to send it off to have it re-capped and aligned. :D

Yep. You how rich we HS math teachers are. No work and mega-paychecks. I recommend it for everyone. And you know......Mike does all this work for peanuts. Well, cashews and almonds, maybe.

Actually, I traded a high-end power cable for this. I wasn't using (not many IEC plugs on vintage gear). Out of pocket expense is minimal until Mike works his magic on same.

And, I buy and sell a few pieces here and there and that is my mad money to support my audio habit.

Am psych'd about getting the ST-5000FW. Only thing left is a T-2.

BTW, here are the pic's.

Last edited:
YB-2,
the official release date for the 5000 in Japan is may '67, and february '69 for the 5000F - thought you and absolon both would like to know.

B-2,
Good luck with the Sony. I can't say enough nice things about it. Wouldn't part with it for any money! I'm looking (unsuccessfully) for another in case something goes wrong with the original. A lot of people feel the same.

Ray

This tuner seems to be getting a lot of hype lately, can't wait to hear it.

Found this site, that says they have copies of the service manual. Haven't used them yet.

http://www.tech-wiz.org/sony.html

B-2 .. you want to get it... or want me to try..

X

Mike - Thanks. Am sure that the company has just received several orders for this same manual from your post. They probably wonder what's going on. They also show that they have the manual for the STR-6200F that I need. Will report back on the quality once mine arrives. Also, I'll forward the tracking number once the unit ships.

Juncers - Thanks. Looking forward to listening to the ST-5000FW. While I would like to listen stock, first, I figure why ship it from the west to the east coast and then back to Detroit for Mike's magic. So will have the work done on its way here.

BTW - you can go back to your double-post and hit the 'Edit' button on the lower right and delete. With the current load on the server every little bit helps.

Last edited:
You guys dig old sony stuff? I run across it all the time. Usually for almost nothing. what should I be looking for, I'm not into it and most of it isn't worth anything, but I'd happily pass it on to other AKers, my dumpster diving is long roaming and highly inclusive of all the usually suspects.

Hi Milo:
Most anything old from Sony is very high quality. Even the stuff that was common everyday, like portable transistor radios. Until Sony hit the mass market hysteria of the early 90's and the sons of the founder took over they did almost everything well. If you find, pick it up and post it in this thread. We'll see it.

BTW - Every get up to the Pocatello/Blackfoot area? My guess that dumpster/thrift store diving up there in the land of the military might be quite rewarding. :thmbsp:

Surprise, surprise. :puke2: tech-wiz has neither the paper nor the electronic copy of the ST-5000FW tuner service manual. They don't know when they will and are not charging my credit card. Wonder what else is new? :thumbsdn:

Did order the microfiche of the manual. But, that means I'll have to run down to the university library to print out. Not too expensive, but a PITA. Once I get it printed I will takes orders and have Staples make up some copies for all who want.

Yamaha B-2 said:
Did order the microfiche of the manual. But, that means I'll have to run down to the university library to print out. Not too expensive, but a PITA. Once I get it printed I will takes orders and have Staples make up some copies for all who want.
Put me on that list, ok?

To all who want an ST-5000FW manual:
Please don't contact me yet. I'll not remember everyone, etc. Once I get the microfiche and actually have the opportunity to make a copy that is worth-while (won't know until it is actually done) I will post same here. Then you can contact me via PM and I will make a batch of copies at one time. I hope to get both paper and electronic copies made, so you will have your choice.
Glenn

Yes. Just downloaded the files. And, I will purchase the balance from him for the $23.50 (includes mail in the U.S.). Here is his post with e-mail address for all who are interested.

NOTE: I will NOT be making a copy of the microfiche that I am getting. If you want a manual, please contact Bob and order a copy.

Thanks so much, Bob.

Subject: Re: Sony ST-5000FW Service and Owner's Manuals?

I just put 5 files for the ST-5000FW with the Schematic, Block
Diagram, and one board here in files

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FMTunersArchiveII/

The service manual is too big to scan the whole thing. There are eight
8.5 x 11 pages, plus over 40 pages of theory, alignment, board
layouts, mechanical exploded drawings, test reports, and brochure copy.

I'll make copies for people for 20. plus $3.50 shipping priority mail
(US) as a one shot project. Send me an email this week to place your
order and pay, and I'll close the offer by Halloween, then make
copies. Put "Sony Manual" in the subject so I make sure to see it. I
likely won't repeat the offer, I want to do one big batch and then
retire from the Sony manual biz.

NOTES -
1)Mine is not an original, it's a copy, and some pages (2-3) are cut
off about 1/4 inch of text on the right side.

2)This for the 5000FW, the later of the two 5000's, with a lever that
slides L to R in the middle of the front panel. If you a manual for
the *other* 5000W, let me know your interest, I may do those later
after this one is done.

Bob

Last edited:
Received my copy of the service manual. Excellent job. Included a copy of a review from 'Audio' at the time it was new. Thanks, again, Bob.

Also, someone posted this link on the FMTunerForum http://www.manuals-in-pdf.com/ They appear to have the manual in .PDF format. I ordered the owner's manual from them, but got an e-mail telling me it may be up to 3-weeks before they have it available for my download. We'll see how it works out. Payment is in PNL or PLN. Anyone know what country and unit of currency this is?

Last edited:
Lefty just posted that link here. He got a TA2000F service manual from them and said the service was good but took two weeks for download to be available. Country is Poland, currency is US dollars apparently.

I'm on rural dialup so download is not good for me. Split the cost of the manual with you and pay postage for a CD if you will send me a copy?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom