St. Louis Gateway Audio Society "Small Balls" Gathering

sheltie dave

Addicted Member
How about a "small balls" tube amp gathering? I tried to set this up a couple years ago, but there was little interest at the time. Maybe there will be more interest this time...

Some folks have not heard the magic that the small, single ended triode amps can create with high efficiency speakers, or in smaller listening spaces where amps of lesser power make a lot of sense. Now that I have returned from sunny southern California, I figured it might be a good time to run this past y'all and see if there is more interest this time around.

We have some killer hi efficiency speakers here...Altec Model 19s, Klipsch RF7s, and(stretching a fair amount) a pair of IMF TSL80 MKIIs at 87 dB. We might get Ryan and Pete to bring over a Vapor Audio set of speakers.

For the SET amps, the usual suspects are(top, left to right) a pair of Handmade Electronics crafted WE 91A replicants with 300B output tubes, a Sean Casper WE 91A variant with a dual triode output 5998 or WE 421 output, a Sun Audio SV2A3 integrated. On the floor, we have an Opera Consonance 211set of monoblocks, a set of JFL Horus Parafeed inspired 2A3 custom monos, a Thom Pallazola custom 2A3 integrated, and a humble Magnavox EL84 pentode single ended that is cute as a button.

Hopefully we can get Willie to bring his 45 DHT SET amp over, and maybe Mark can come down with his Yamamota A08. Anyone up for a horns and tubes party?

Last edited:
Your name sounds very familiar....do you know Mr. Peabody? Wylie of the speaker and stereo store?

Any ways, yeah...I might be interested. I'll keep checking back to see what the final word is. Thanks!

Yes, I know both Brian and Wylie. The final word is we have some great gear and speakers and friends coming over. When folks come in from Wright City, Decatur, Peoria, Kansas City, Little Rock, Houston and Springfield, and parts south as well, we have a lot to see. It's not that far from Lake St. Louis!

Hi Dave ,

I plan on being there .

Would you give me a call my old computer died and lost your number .

Will do, Mark.

I'm surprised at the lack of guys in the region not wanting to stop by. We get tons of folks from Gateway Audio and the Klipsch/JBL forums, but only dribs and drabs from AK. C'est la vie, i guess.

Bird, pm me with your phone # and I'll call you three days prior with directions and address. With some of the $$$$ gear we avoid publishing the address; keeps SWMBO happy.

Back
Top Bottom