Stabilising Wall Voltage (Without Breaking the Bank)

Shelly thanks for that. Thats a great idea too. Funny you mentioned the Citation II- my plan was to cut my teeth on the M125s and get my skills and confidence up and then restore one of those some day when I am able. You gave me a lot to think about there.

BTW- love your avatar. The thought of twin turbosupercharged Allison engines makes my heart race!

Shelly thanks for that. Thats a great idea too. Funny you mentioned the Citation II- my plan was to cut my teeth on the M125s and get my skills and confidence up and then restore one of those some day when I am able. You gave me a lot to think about there.

BTW- love your avatar. The thought of twin turbosupercharged Allison engines makes my heart race!
Thanks for the comment on the Avatar. That was one of 5 that I saw and photographed up close and personal at the Sacramento Air Show a few years ago. Beautiful restorations all. It is really impressive just how big those things were, and that they went up against the best single engine fighters that Germany and Japan could through at them makes their performance all the more impressive.

I hope my advice and comments above prove helpful to you. This is all judgement of course, but remember there is an awful lot of unfounded myths and legends out on the internet in audio. Weeding through all that to separate fact from fiction, solid fact based opinion from uninformed hearsay and objective reality from subjective, expectation bias influenced, pronouncements delivered as gospel, is most difficult.

Good luck.

Shelly_D

You might consider just updating a citation II. They are good amps, and straight forward to update, particularly with parts etc., available from Jim McShane.

Well I went ahead and got the Furman unit. Regardless of which way I go getting into tubes, all my gear will benefit from the lowered stable wall voltage it provides. Im not going to stress over it being an extra cost to my current endeavor (no pun intended) as its something everything in my system will benefit from. My HT and music system are side by side and not run at the same time, so no reason all of it cant get stable power now at the correct voltage.

I have learned a lot in this thread and really just want to thank everyone for the time and thought they put into this. I actually learned a lot of things I didn't even know I didnt know! Very grateful for all the advise and a lot of the info here I will undoubtedly apply to future projects as my skill level increases. This forum really is special- and I look forward to being able to help others here as well.

Chris

Chris

Wise decision to get the stabilizer.
As for the amps, I'm very happy with my HF-22 Eicos. And I'm sure one could get them cheaper than I got them on the Bay. Jim will set you up with tubes no matter what you buy.
And recapping is still putting work into it, so you retain the bragging rights :)
Whatever you pick, there are no bad tube amps. And tastes do differ. Something that glows in the dark and plays music is always good.

Back
Top Bottom