Stack of receivers, single pair of speakers.

birchoak

Hi-Fi Nut
Here's a problem only someone at AK would understand, let alone commiserate about:

I have several receivers. I've worked very hard tracking down these audio gems (to me) over the years and repairing them. There is not enough room or enough speakers to have them all hooked up at once. What I've always wanted to do is stack the receivers (in a nice custom rack I'll build), then have some sort of switch thingy that lets me listen to a different receiver at a time, but through the same set of speakers. I would get a bunch of 1/8" to dual male RCA patch cords and label them for each receiver so I knew which to connect to my laptop.

Any ideas? I've heard of a speaker selector but I'm not sure if that is what I need for this application. I'm sure that someone else has done the very same thing; I just need to hear from that person. Thank you ahead of time for any and all input!

Here's a problem only someone at AK would understand, let alone commiserate about:

I have several receivers. I've worked very hard tracking down these audio gems (to me) over the years and repairing them. There is not enough room or enough speakers to have them all hooked up at once. What I've always wanted to do is stack the receivers (in a nice custom rack I'll build), then have some sort of switch thingy that lets me listen to a different receiver at a time, but through the same set of speakers. I would get a bunch of 1/8" to dual male RCA patch cords and label them for each receiver so I knew which to connect to my laptop.

Any ideas? I've heard of a speaker selector but I'm not sure if that is what I need for this application. I'm sure that someone else has done the very same thing; I just need to hear from that person. Thank you ahead of time for any and all input!

For an amp switch, you might consider:

http://www.ambery.com/6stspseamsws.html

Now, while I am fairly confident this switch will work as advertised on common ground amps, I am not so sure about non-common ground amps. Many of those old tube amps are NOT common ground. If you have any of these in the mix, you should call the merchant before you buy.

For your laptop, you might try selecting one or two of the amp's as "masters" and then connect "slaves" to the masters via Tape Out (master) to Aux on all of the slaves. The idea being whatever source is selected on the Master is available on all slaves.

Now one further idea is that many amps will route to Tape Out without even being turned on. Not all, but many! These units make good masters as you only need to select source without having to turn the units on.

Hope this helps,
Jerry

Now, while I am fairly confident this switch will work as advertised on common ground amps, I am not so sure about non-common ground amps. Many of those old tube amps are NOT common ground. If you have any of these in the mix, you should call the merchant before you buy.

For your laptop, you might try selecting one or two of the amp's as "masters" and then connect "slaves" to the masters via Tape Out (master) to Aux on all of the slaves. The idea being whatever source is selected on the Master is available on all slaves.

Now one further idea is that many amps will route to Tape Out without even being turned on. Not all, but many! These units make good masters as you only need to select source without having to turn the units on.

Hope this helps,
Jerry

Ooh baby--I think that's it! No tube amps in the mix; all SS. I did not even think about the TAPE OUT to AUX idea. Hmm. That's a great idea. Man, I love this place! It's like asking a genie for help, but without the ironic wish fulfillment twist genies usually give you.

This. To select sources. Then another one after that in reverse to go to receivers. It's all RCA and break before make.

P2220053.JPG

Then this in reverse from receivers to one pair of speakers. It is also break before make but uses push in wire clips.

P2220054.JPG
Then this or similar if you want to run more than one pair of speakers at a time or choose between pairs of speakers . It's a load matching box.

P2220049.JPG

Last edited:
A lot of tube amps have common grounds. Fisher, Scott, Magnavox, etc.

They will work ok with the switch according to the manufactures specs, but just me personally, I'm in camp fraidy cat to want to use or try one. ;) I have multiple speakers so its probably a moot point to me. :cool:

tubes don't like unloaded outputs - wire 100r across outputs.

break before make is absolutely mandatory otherwise you are shorting current
receiver output to next one.

and no electronics or components in the middle. open switch and inspect.

tubes don't like unloaded outputs - wire 100r across outputs.

break before make is absolutely mandatory otherwise you are shorting current
receiver output to next one.

and no electronics or components in the middle. open switch and inspect.
Break before make?

Break before make?

Disconnect (break) one source before connecting (make); to the next.

Make before break would short the amplifier outputs together, briefly.

As above, you need to check all your amplifiers can cope with a no load situation.

Always turn off the receivers before switching. Complete all switching before turning receivers back on. Otherwise your speakers will take a beating. This is for solid state.
Tubes are a whole different game.

just ask manufacturer.

some switches have this other method to circumvent issues that occur from unhooking
or breaking contact that may cause a change in signal/power that, in audio circuits,
may result in a "pop". (bad example but illustrative)

suffice it to say, Break before make, is a must. otherwise you tie the two receivers'
outputs together and cause a problem. and you cannot count on you or anyone else
to shutdown both receivers before switching using any switch. forgetting one time
may mean replacing both receivers.

@onplane had an excellent point. check the grounds in the switch. some amps
are bridged at the output to offer insane power levels. these cannot be tied to ground.

Hope this helps,
Jerry

I have that one. Well built and the left and right channels have independent grounds. Got mine off Ebay. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom