stacked advents

SpruceMoose

hi gang! new poster here, from virginia. just wanted to show y'all (dont think i ever typed that) my stacked advents. i have been running a single pair that i bought new in '77 or '78. last year i got the itch to change a few things. i bought a 53" tv, a kenwood a/v/r, and some extra advent parts. with the extra parts, and the guts of my original advents (heresy, i know. wait, thats another brand) i built a pair of stackers. the enclosure is just slightly over 2 times the single-box volume, with a sloped front, and an angled divider between the upper and lower bass chambers. that makes the sides the only parallel surfaces. each chamber is stuffed with the original 5 pieces of 12x12x2" foam. the tweeters are side-by-side near the top, at the original distance from the upper woofer, with the outboard tweeter angled across the room (toed-in) and set on extended, while the front-firing tweeter is set on normal.

the sound is amazing! rich, deep, nice center image. all the traditional advent pluses. the only minus at all is the box size: 18" wide, 4' high, 12" deep, tapering to 10" deep at the top.

i had been using an advent center channel speaker, but found it couldnt even hope to keep up with the doubles. so i got back on ebay and picked up another pair of woofs, tweets, and xovers. one more sheet of mdf later and i have a pair of bass units that flank the tv, and the tweeters are mounted in maple blocks sitting on the tv.

everything was primed flat black, and then painted in black granite texture paint. i also made grills that hang in front of the cabinets on a bracket. just supported from the underside of the top frame rail, like picking up a picture frame with one finger in the middle of the upper piece.

here's a pic:

First off, welcome to our humble audio abode.

Second, NEAT setup and fabrication! Got any more pics to show a little more detail?

What are you driving everything with?

Cheers,
Russ

PS, Good kitty kitty.

Very nice! Welcome to the room. By the way, tell the cat to face the speakers and listen to the wonderful stereo image not just mono in her left ear.

sorry, no more pics yet. but i will work on it.

driving the "array" is just a kenwood vr6070. it doesnt seem to mind the low impedence either. the advents are rated at 8 each, but should be rated at 6 ohms each. oh well, the kenwood drives them to rediculous levels (turn that down!!!) on music, and movies shake the house as well. just watched return of the king (ext. ver.) again. twice this week! once for the family, and once for some friends we invited over.

btw, the side and rear surrounds are radio shack minimus-7s, a pair on each side wall and a pair in the back. the kenwood drives them too. bass is augmented by a 15" audiosource driver in a custom cabinet, and a 12" philips driver in an 8 foot section of floor joist, boxed in and stuffed with foam. a parts express 250watt sub amp drives the 15, and an old jvc receiver (100 watts) runs the "floor thumper".

so far, everybody really enjoys the sound. lots of comments like "better than the theater". still have to eq the subs.

and so nobody gets too upset, i have a mint pair of original advents in the bedroom, with a realistic STA2080 receiver. there, something for the vintage electronics folks! :) but the turntable (dual 1245 with micro acoustics electret condenser cartridge) is on the HT rig. sounds wonderful! played some potliquor on it tonight. theres a blast from the past!

thanx for the welcome! and kitty says "meow!"

sm.

ok, here are 2 more pics. remember: the back of the box and sides are vertical, the front is sloped back after the first foot from the floor. the grille hangs vertically too.

sm.

thanx nitrous! i dont know how great they sound, but i sure like them. and everybody that has heard them has been very impressed. i ran them for a while without the sub, and for music it didnt matter much. but.... with the sub i can crank up the deep stuff without damaging the house. and my marriage! :)

sm.

Schweet!

Hmm, no longer a true Advent, maybe it's a Radvent, Badvent, eGadvent?

Got neighbors beneath? Guessing not!

-Ed

SpruceMoose said:
ok, here are 2 more pics. remember: the back of the box and sides are vertical, the front is sloped back after the first foot from the floor. the grille hangs vertically too.

sm.

Some more light

UPS brought my 'fried egg' tweeters today and I installed them in the pair of Original Advents that I had refinished and already had standing atop the first pair. Last week I also restored the shop Yamaha CR-820 so the first trial was the new pair - Ahhh nice! Next was to drive both pairs stacked tweeter to tweeter in a D'Appolito array. Man there is just nothing quite like stacked Advents and now that I have two pair of Originals, the Classics (whose cases I refinished) are surplus - and they really sound very good even with the new black tweeters.

Rob

Hi guys, new member from Virginia,

Merrylander, does that mean you might have the Classics to sell?

Back
Top Bottom