Stacking Advents....

Keldog

It's a common refrain throughout many threads.

It seems I have only read about the NLAs. Can you mix and match speakers? Any other speakers?

Just curious.....and too lazy to research it.

It all depends on what you hope to accomplish by stacking.

If you want to fill a room with sound for casual listening, you can stack any speakers. Sometimes stacking sounds better, sometimes not. In my office I sometimes stack because that way I can have a set of tweeters at ear level when sitting and another set at ear level when stand or walking around.

If you are into critical listening and sit in the sweet spot, stacking will typically result in lesser SQ because you are introducing comb filtering and such.

In my office I sometimes stack because that way I can have a set of tweeters at ear level when sitting and another set at ear level when stand or walking around.

I understand your set up and why, but I thought the standard practice was to invert the top pair? Aren't the tweeters closer together that way?

I understand your set up and why, but I thought the standard practice was to invert the top pair? Aren't the tweeters closer together that way?

Again, it depends on what you hope to accomplish. If you are listening from one general location, you want all the tweeters at ear level. Then you would invert the top speaker so the tweeters are closer together.

When it comes to stacking, there is no one way. It is best to experiment to see what configuration gives the best sound.

Can you mix and match speakers? Any other speakers?

Yes you can mix and match. Sometimes the mix of two different speakers makes up for the individual shorcomings of each individual speaker. Advents were the first speakers I ever heard stacked, but you can stack damn near anything you please.

If you are into critical listening and sit in the sweet spot, stacking will typically result in lesser SQ because you are introducing comb filtering and such.

Possibly. OTOH the argument could be made that you lower distortion levels due to the fact that there are lower amounts of excursion for each driver for an overall volume level.

I've always inverted the top pair for that reason.

Again, it depends on what you hope to accomplish. If you are listening from one general location, you want all the tweeters at ear level. Then you would invert the top speaker so the tweeters are closer together.

When it comes to stacking, there is no one way. It is best to experiment to see what configuration gives the best sound.

So, basically, in a 12x10 man cave, negligible...

Seems stacking doesn't really improve anything.

So, basically, in a 12x10 man cave, negligible...

Seems stacking doesn't really improve anything.

That would be true for your particular situation if you have tried stacking and found it to be the same as a single pair. Others may disagree with you based on their experiences.

Really, the answer to stacking depends upon your personal preference. There is no one best speaker. There is no one best way to listen to music. Experiment to determine what you like and enjoy it.

Try it and see. Assuming you already own the equipment, nothing to lose by trying.

L100 Centurys on top of Pioneer CS-88As it is.....I'm not carrying anything else from the basement to the second floor...

This stacking business seems way more trouble than it's worth. Hard to hear a difference over my rapid heartbeat and labored breathing.

L100 Centurys on top of Pioneer CS-88As it is.....I'm not carrying anything else from the basement to the second floor...

This stacking business seems way more trouble than it's worth. Hard to hear a difference over my rapid heartbeat and labored breathing.

:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

If I can stack Allison 2 on top of Allison 1, then you can stack those JBLs on top of the Pioneers. NO COMPLAINING....:D

Good to know. It just seems like all I ever see mentioned is the Advents.
It was a selling point for the Advents. They wanted you to do it. Instead of a more expensive set of speakers, two pairs of stacked Advents were their high end line.

Stacking reasonably priced vintage bookshelf speakers is a good way to get great sound on a budget. You can mix and match whatever, just keep an eye on the overall impedance load you will have the amplifier driving as most amps don't like low impedance loads when you crank them up. I have stacked NLA's and love them, along with stacked Polk Monitors, Boston Acoustics A series and Grafyx SP series speakers. One thing I have noticed is that 2-way systems seem to fair better than 3-ways in this configuration. Looking to add an ADS L620/L520 stack next.

I've always wanted to grab a second pair of EPI 100's to stack on my first pair....you know....for research purposes!

I should try my EPI M50's stacked above my EPI 180's sometime. Currently, I have a pair of Magnat All Ribbon 4's stacked above the 180's and this Frankenstein combo is simply glorious together. Others have commented that I should just bolt them together as they sound so good together, they should never be separated.

Back
Top Bottom