Stacking speakers?

I've stacked same speakers and done side by side. Have found in my rooms MAYBE two pair can occupy positions for good sound. Otherwise they are too close, too far appart or too high to sound thier best. If that's the goal. Just my experience. But if have but one room for all your collection, have at it.

Scaffolding....

1/4in thickness throughout. Fully welded steel construction. Cake to build for anyone with any diy in them.

Will not resonate, not with what I do anyways.

No stress on any cabinets, 10 times more stable than stacking.

See the pics...

Attachments

• 1530992154758-270308271.jpg
    1530992154758-270308271.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 51
I made some similar shelving for the amps...

Pics...

Attachments

• 15309923240152041599392.jpg
    15309923240152041599392.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 15309924132091106548037.jpg
    15309924132091106548037.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 34
That's there is some high quality work for sure. I don't think I need quite the pounds per square inch load capacity but if my needs change I'll keep your scaffolding in mind for sure.
Have you run a WAF test.

Last edited:
That's there is some high quality work for sure. I don't think I need quite the pounds per square inch load capacity but if my needs change I'll will keep your scaffolding in mind for sure.
Have you run a WAF test.
Thanks for the compliments.

I have not done a WAF test. What is a WAF test?

Gold leaf is a result of gold being hammered into thin sheets and used as gilding when applied to a metal surface. It is a highly regarded form of art decoration.
WAF is an illusion not to be concerned with in any space other than the significant others living room.

Gold leaf is a result of gold being hammered into thin sheets and used as gilding when applied to a metal surface. It is a highly regarded form of art decoration.
WAF is an illusion not to be concerned with in any space other than the significant others living room.
I'm that case, no on the gold leaf.

I still have no idea what you are talking about with the WAF.

I'm that case, no on the gold leaf.

I still have no idea what you are talking about with the WAF.

WAF = Wife Approval Factor. Many of us married guys have to get high WAF to have big/multiple speakers in the main living area.

And I remember having my Minimus 7's stacked on my Cerwin Vega VS-150's...... Stress?? :)
Also had AR-3a's at another time. Stacked on the VS. Alot heavier.
Have another pair of VS-150's, and if single (note wife factor) would love to keep stacked.
Some here may be chasing perfection too hard, and I have a perfectionist issue. I always try to tame it though.
Now best thing I ever did was get a vibration free rack for my equipment with it's dampening. VS-150's do shake the house.

Nice! I'm hoping to get my VS-120's back in service soon. I'm trying to do some cabinetry wizard on them to raise the WAF factor. We'll see....

I finished these Advents for a friend that will stack them on risers. It’s the second set of pairs for stacking I have freshened up for friends. They do sound very good stacked which is no surprise given the popularity.
3DD40F9D-566C-4717-98A3-0103D4CBD238.jpeg

Nice! I'm hoping to get my VS-120's back in service soon. I'm trying to do some cabinetry wizard on them to raise the WAF factor. We'll see....

I was lucky, after many,many speaker attempts for better sound with better looks, the wife accepted the VS-150's.
On another note, I still kick myself in the a** that I passed up a pair of VS-120's 3 years ago for $15 that needed refoam. Still pissed at myself
on that one.
I just had to much going on at the time......

Got my speaker stands today. Solid Oak - very nice! Still just a temporary setup until I finish my equipment rack, but I am very satisfied with the sound from both the JBL's and the Klipsch's considering the small size of my room. I definitely like this arrangement better than the stacked.
Steve
Speaker Stands 2.JPEG

I had a bunch of the fabric footie things you put on furniture sliders for hardwood floors, which I put under the top Bozaks. The Advents just have felt pads between them. The DQ-10's, by their design, had to have a scaffold type rack, which I just cobbed together from 1 X 6 to see if it would work...it does, so now I'm building a finshed rack, hoping to make them look like the Dahlquist Scandanavian design.

Anyone ever worry about the weight that one speaker imposes on the other?
"Stacking" is kinda....I don't know......not good for many reasons.

....and freakin' wonderful for the primary reason. I'll admit the four pairs of Advents on their sides don't sound any better than the conventional two pairs with the tops inverted...nothing to be gained with four pairs. But the DQ's stacked really work well.
Stacking is an inalienable right of all freedom loving peoples to ignore the techno-geeks and pursue our dream of big luscious sound, however distorted and incoherent on paper it may be.

upload_2018-7-14_18-40-6.png

Back
Top Bottom