Stand up and be counted...

beanoil

That's not how this works
Rant on: Ordered a set of Definitive Technology stands from a seller on that auction site. I paid, he shipped... Fed-Ex man pulls up, rushes the driveway, drops the package, hits the bell and books. I don't even make it to the door before he is around the corner. A crushed box is laying on my step, one end open. Obviously Mr. Fed-Ex must be Fed-Up, because he knows he is wrong, and is hightailing off to the next victim.
Inventory the box, no top plates, no bottom weighted bases, just 2 riser poles and a bag of hardware. I contact the seller, I contact Fed-Ex, I contact the auction site. Surely we can work this out. Fed-Ex says no that they will only reimburse the seller. The auction site takes the stand that the seller and I need to work it out. So I try... the seller ships another package... I now have two top plates, and another set of riser poles, but no bases. The seller says he is sorry... "there must have been a mix up" but he is done, there are no more stands. Subsequent conversations with Fed-Ex reveal a lot about their inner workings. The cliff notes are that unless you are the seller, you are SOL. You will not get to speak to a manager. You will not get to speak to anyone in the warehouse where the truck was loaded, you will not get to speak to the driver, or find out if his truck was returned after his run with a couple of heavy, sculpted pieces of metal, ( just on the off chance the bases came out during his drive.). You will not get a refund, even though you are the one that is out the cash. The seller can however, alert Fed-Ex they have been contacted, AND TAKE OVER YOUR CLAIM, and get a refund, which he may, (or in this case, most likely would not) refund to you. And Fed-Ex does not care if you contact your momma, your lawyer, or the Attorney General in your state. They simply do not give a crap about the purchaser, even though he is the one in these situations with the most skin in the game.
So, chalk it up to experience, I paid dearly for this one. I will stay away from Fed-Ex at every opportunity. I will always think twice about buying on e-$&*. And I will always from this point forward pay with some form of payment I can contact and protest.
Rant off:

Last edited:
It's easy for the seller to get a an insurance reimbursement. I had one on a pa Kate that fedex destroyed. The buyer sent me pics, I filed the claim, and I reimbursed the buyer as soon as I received the check from fedex.

That sucks!! I feel your pain as I'm still waiting on a media mail and found out I have no recourse with USPS either.

Here's to hoping things are made right for you.

This shouldn't be a problem. You should have taken photos of the box and sent them to the seller, then the seller should have submitted for reimbursement. Fedex is usually pretty good (well, relative to other shippers) about reimbursements, especially for relatively inexpensive items. The reason they won't deal with the recipient directly is that their contract is with the seller.

What's the problem?

Alert eBay that the item is "not as described" and they will lock the payment and wait for the seller to refund you. If the seller fails, they will give you the refund.

Seller must deal with FedEx.

Buying on ebay is simple and fool proof.

Selling is a bitch. EBay aids and abets criminals. A buyer can claim "not as described" at any time and get a refund. The seller is f**ked. Ask me how I know.

I get much better insurance service from FedEx. USPS is a joke and the eBay shipping insurance is a f**king joke. I am 60 days out trying to collect on a lost package. Buyer won't cooperate so it has to time out. 30 days before you can file a lost package claim then 30 days for buyer to fail. Then you have to submit a bunch of docs to do a manual claim. Just another money stream for eBay and a typical insurance claim system. Refuse to settle easily.

Now, that is a rant!

The above is true. You report "not as described", seller blames fedex for losing parts, he gets reimbursed, and you get a refund. Done.

Sorry this happened. Shipping insurance claims always originate with the shipper, whether it's USPS, UPS or FedEx.

besides- isn't it really the sellers fault that the package was not suited to the rigors of shipping?. it maybe a moot point at this stage but I can recall a time that I was in the same boat.

Sorry this happened. Shipping insurance claims always originate with the shipper, whether it's USPS, UPS or FedEx.
Not if the buyer pays for shipping with his own account. Next time, email the seller a pdf of your shipping label that you create from your own FedEx account.

Now you have control. But still, the proper solution after first contacting the seller that things have gone sideways, is to file a 'not as described' claim.

Not if the buyer pays for shipping with his own account. Next time, email the seller a pdf of your shipping label that you create from your own FedEx account.

Now you have control. But still, the proper solution after first contacting the seller that things have gone sideways, is to file a 'not as described' claim.

Agreed, that would be a great way to have control. Not to split hairs but I did say claims have to originate with the 'shipper' and not 'seller'. :D

Back
Top Bottom