Stanton 600 Cartridge

Note that Pickering confirmed in their ‘Pickering Perfection’ brochures https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pickering.shtml that the Pickering V-15 Micro IV (Stanton 600-series near-equivalent) and XV-15 (Stanton 680/681 near-equivalent) styli could interchange, as they recommended the same mono and 78rpm styli for both cartridge series. I should mention that although hifiengine label that a 1976 brochure, several of the Pickering cartridges in it such as the XSV/4000 and XSV/5000 weren’t released until the 1980’s, so it’s more likely a 1986 brochure!:oops:

The Pickering XV-15 styli will fit the Stanton 600/Pickering V-15 Micro IV-series and work well, so a high level elliptical stylus (e.g. from the XV-15 750E or 1200E) or even better, one of the stereohedron alternatives, such as the 1800S or 757S, can be used to upgrade the 600/V-15 Micro IV-series.:thumbsup:

However, because of the mounting system that was used for the Stanton 600/Pickering V-15 Micro IV-series extending out past the front of the cartridge body, the Stanton 680/681-series stylus grips hit the mounting adaptor at the top, unless the plastic at the top of the 680-681 stylus is trimmed back, because of Stanton's different method of stylus fitting compared to Pickering.

The Pickering XV-15 styli fit the 600/V-15 Micro IV bodies OK due to the Pickering stylus grips extending on either side of the cartridge bodies, but the Stanton 680/681 styli need the plastic trimming where it wraps over the top front of the cartridge body, so it’s best to go for the Pickering XV-15 styli in preference to Stanton 680/681 styli, to make it easy. So the following Pickering XV-15 styli would all be upgrades over the Stanton 600EE stylus:

Stereohedron: 1800S or 757S (tracking force 0.75-1.5g)
0.2 x 0.7mil elliptical: 1200E (0.5-1.25g)
0.3 x 0.7mil elliptical: 750E (0.75-1.5g)

Note that all tracking forces are without brush - add 1g if the brush is used, to counteract its upward push.

Incidentally, I also own one a Stanton 600EE, as well as a 681EEE, and can confirm that while the Stanton 680/681 styli won't fit the 600EE body (without trimming the stylus plastic), the Pickering XV-15 styli will fit and work well.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Note that Pickering confirmed in their ‘Pickering Perfection’ brochures https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pickering.shtml that the Pickering V-15 Micro IV (Stanton 600-series near-equivalent) and XV-15 (Stanton 680/681 near-equivalent) styli could interchange, as they recommended the same mono and 78rpm styli for both cartridge series. I should mention that although hifiengine label that a 1976 brochure, several of the Pickering cartridges in it such as the XSV/4000 and XSV/5000 weren’t released until the 1980’s, so it’s more likely a 1986 brochure!:oops:

The Pickering XV-15 styli will fit the Stanton 600/Pickering V-15 Micro IV-series and work well, so a high level elliptical stylus (e.g. from the XV-15 750E or 1200E) or even better, one of the stereohedron alternatives, such as the 1800S or 757S, can be used to upgrade the 600/V-15 Micro IV-series.:thumbsup:

However, because of the mounting system that was used for the Stanton 600/Pickering V-15 Micro IV-series extending out past the front of the cartridge body, the Stanton 680/681-series stylus grips hit the mounting adaptor at the top, unless the plastic at the top of the 680-681 stylus is trimmed back, because of Stanton's different method of stylus fitting compared to Pickering.

The Pickering XV-15 styli fit the 600/V-15 Micro IV bodies OK due to the Pickering stylus grips extending on either side of the cartridge bodies, but the Stanton 680/681 styli need the plastic trimming where it wraps over the top front of the cartridge body, so it’s best to go for the Pickering XV-15 styli in preference to Stanton 680/681 styli, to make it easy. So the following Pickering XV-15 styli would all be upgrades over the Stanton 600EE stylus:

Stereohedron: 1800S or 757S (tracking force 0.75-1.5g)
0.2 x 0.7mil elliptical: 1200E (0.5-1.25g)
0.3 x 0.7mil elliptical: 750E (0.75-1.5g)

Note that all tracking forces are without brush - add 1g if the brush is used, to counteract its upward push.

Incidentally, I also own one a Stanton 600EE, as well as a 681EEE, and can confirm that while the Stanton 680/681 styli won't fit the 600EE body (without trimming the stylus plastic), the Pickering XV-15 styli will fit and work well.:thumbsup:

This is excellent information.

I happen to enjoy the styli made for the 600/Micro IV line, more so then the XV15 options. But that's just me.

I usually use Genuine Stanton stylus when I can find them BUT, I recently bought an aftermarket Stanton 600 stylus ($10) that tracks and sounds excellent.

Do you mind sharing which stylus you picked up and from where? It seems like Tonar is making some of the aftermarket Stanton stylus. Id like to pick up another conical and one of the elliptical for my 600A.

I've been swapping comparing the 600A against a Grado Gold and finding the Stanton to be the better sounding cart on my Technics 1100. Both are moving iron so it made sense to compare the two designs.

Do you mind sharing which stylus you picked up and from where? It seems like Tonar is making some of the aftermarket Stanton stylus. Id like to pick up another conical and one of the elliptical for my 600A.

I've been swapping comparing the 600A against a Grado Gold and finding the Stanton to be the better sounding cart on my Technics 1100. Both are moving iron so it made sense to compare the two designs.
I believe the seller I bought from is on vacation till end of month

Check eBay and Voice of Music. Tonar sells but does not manufacture styli. You can also buy directly from Pfanstiehl and EVG. If you want that info, I will post it for you. There are other dealers of course. Too many to mention.

Just for reference, the 500 stylus aren't interchangeable with the 600 correct? They look very similar but I've only got a 500 here so can't compare in person.

Despite the significant difference in inductance, nearly double for the XV-15, the XV-15 styli do work well and sound quite good in the 600 and Micro IV/ Phase IV bodies. This should make the XV-15 styli very bright and trebly in the Micro IV and similar bodies but they sound fine, great, in fact.

Last edited:
Despite the significant difference in inductance, nearly double for the XV-15, the XV-15 styli do work well and sound quite good in the 600 and Micro IV/ Phase IV bodies. This should make the XV-15 styli very bright and trebly in the Micro IV ad similar bodies but they sound fine, great, in fact.

One of the generic stylus sellers on ebay, lists an elliptical Pickering Micro IV stylus replacement, and, when you look at the pictures, you see it is the 4606-DEG meant for XV-15s. They do it on a few listings, so it doesn't appear to be an isolated mistake. I have one of those. It's kind of a ho-hum needle on an XV-15, but it should be good for testing my Stanton 600 when it arrives and before I decide whether I want to get a better, possibly OEM, stylus intended for it.

All the original conicals for this body (MicroIV), sound marvelous.
I also have a couple of original ellipticals (DAMEIV and DACEIV) .

I believe they combine elements, from both 500 and 680 series.
The 500s deep and warm character, together with the 680s finer imaging.

Still, they can't beat that good ol' Pickering V15, with original PD07C stylus..

Enjoy, Steve!

Despite the significant difference in inductance, nearly double for the XV-15, the XV-15 styli do work well and sound quite good in the 600 and Micro IV/ Phase IV bodies. This should make the XV-15 styli very bright and trebly in the Micro IV and similar bodies but they sound fine, great, in fact.

My used Stanton 600 cart arrived today, and I tried it out with a Pfanstiehl 4606-DEG needle which one of the ebay vendors is selling as a replacement for a Pickering (4)607 Micro IV elliptical needle, though it is lighter tracking than the two their ads mention. Its a needle I have used on Stanton 680/PickeringXV-15s, with satisfactory but not wonderful results. It sounds pretty great on the 600 cartridge. My first impression was that it sounded like a Stanton 500 trying to sound like an 881S, and having some success.

Is the sound on the bright side? Maybe. I didn't think so listening to a Dixieland Jazz album, but there were moments listening to a trumpet concerto that got a bit shrill. The concerto not having a strong bottom end, may have been part of what made things sound a bit out of balance. That wasn't a problem with the Dixie combo. Bye and bye, I'll get an original Stanton or Pickering conical actually made for the Stanton 600 or it's identical cousin, the Pickering V-15 Micro IV. Meanwhile, though, I may try a few other needles made for the 680/XV15 carts to see what happens.

Hello again Steve!

Try to find an original conical Pickering (DIVAM, DIVAT or DIVAC).
I think you will like them.

Here are a couple of files, recorded with the original Pickering DIVAM and DIVAME styli:

Pickering V15 MicroIV-AM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vChIUbJ1eB3Po_oIYmy-GwDHnD0YJgCB

Pickering V15 MicroIV-AME
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ETf9vCPCKqSaFUdfNJaqREpm18JMbWUo

Both sound sweet and I like them.
However, there are times that I prefer the fuller presentation of the conical stylus against the more analytical of the elliptical one.

Last edited:
Yes, Evonimos and boreas , I've found a few of the oem Pickerings available from a few places, and at fairly reasonable prices.

I'm looking forward to trying the cartridge with some more styles of recordings tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom