Stanton 681 EEE Question

Flounder

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi, All.
I have a 681 with a completely trashed stylus and no way of knowing if the cartridge itself is still good. I hooked it up to an ohm meter, and the output is as follows:

white & blue = 862-864 (.864k)
red & green = 862-864
white & red = infinity
blue and green = infinity

Are these expected outputs? And is it safe to say it's OK to order a new stylus? Or is it toast? :).

Thanks

Yes. Your cart reads good. There's no use measuring resistance between white and red or blue and green. Measure inductance if you can, to get a complete picture - but it's looking good so far.

Measured a Stanton 681 reference standard (no E's) at 1.4k red and green and 1.4K white and blue. The fact that the coils read the same is a good sign.
Measuring resistance will suffice as a basic go/no-go. Shorted or open coils indicate failure.

A Jico elliptical would be a nice reasonably priced stylus option. The EVG Japan elliptical's even cheaper and good, does need to be tracked at a bit heavier forces.

Thanks, Needlestein. Yes, it's consistently reading .864K on both sides, and no - I wasnt able to get any sound out of it. I can try again, but the tip, under a magnifying glass, is black and rounded. It won't even track.

The diamond is probably gone-just the mounting stub remains, most likely. You should be able to tap on the metal cartridge body (when it isn't on a record, of course) with a small metal screwdriver (keep the volume down) and hear it through the speakers. Totally worth getting a proper stylus for these. The Jico is a good one. I had a Pfahnstiehl, but it was sibilant. If you get an aftermarket stylus, replace the new brush with your old one. Badger-hair ain't what it used to be : )

All my 681xyz have a brushed finish. Your cartridge is polished. AND, Needlestein is an expert at these things, so heed his advice. BTW, if you get a stylus for a 681, it might fit but will now work, as I understand, in an 881. Different technology.

I second what n stein says, I use the Shibata stylus on mine though for the xsv3000, and the 4822dee. My tracking though has come down on it as it broke in and there's no sibilance.

OK. Tap test works. I can hear it thru the speakers. I'll get either of the two styli mentioned and report back. Thanks again - you guys are awesome!

If it’s reading below 900 ohms, it’s not a 680. That brush in the other thread has white bristles that came only with the 880/881 and 980/981. That’s the first clue. It’s got the wrong stylus on it. Second clue is the engraving on the side. Could be a 681, but not with that 680 stylus. Wrong stylus again.

Do you get any sound out of it?

In any case, get a Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE. It works on either cartridge, but original styli won’t interchange.

Hi, Needlestein
I was looking at Voice of Music this morning. They have two 4822-DEE

• 4822-DEEE EVG Japan Diamond 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical tip for 16,33,45 rpm records 0.75 - 1.5g
  • 4822-DEE-P Pfanstiehl Diamond 0.2 x 0.7 mil elliptical tip for 16,33,45 rpm records 0.75 - 1.5g
Is one recommended over the other? Thanks again for your help.

On closer inspection, I see the EVG is a triple E, and it's an EVG - I need to pay closer inspection.

Aw shucks folks. Sorry. My eyesight has taken a decided downturn lately. I didn't see the decimal either. I guess I'll have to start putting two pairs of glasses on.

:D

Doug

Noted! :D I have a Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE on it's way from Voice of Music. Will report back once I get it mounted and set up. Thanks again everyone for helping out.

Back
Top Bottom