Stanton 681EEE New Cartridge Equivalents

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by mccalljd, Dec 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. needlestein

needlestein AK Subscriber Subscriber

2. needlestein

3. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

4. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

5. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

Questions, questions. Do you have an opinion as to whether or not the 881S would be a good match for a Pioneer PL-520? My turntable is only designed to track up to 3 grams if you use the VTF front weight to adjust the tracking force.

6. needlestein

The DTL-2 is .3 x .7 elliptical, the DTL-1 is .4 x .7 elliptical. I don’t know why the DTL-1 is more expensive, but you can see from the packaging that the original price is lower—which reflects the usual pricing scheme. .3 x .7 is a finer elliptical and usually more desirable. The .4 x .7 is broader and usually less desirable in the marketplace. But the Stanton .4 x .7 is excellent. In this case, they’re cheap enough that Is grab both. Why not? But if choosing one, I’d get the less expensive “better” profile, which is the DTL-2.

mccalljd likes this.
  7. needlestein

I’m not familiar with that arm. The 881 is very compliant and also forgiving. I’ve run mine in an SL-1200–an arm this is arguably too heavy for it. But I use the lightest headshell I can find, aluminum hardware and the brush. Resonance frequency figures work out right, so it’s a good match for the SL-1200 with that configuration.

mccalljd likes this.
  8. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

I saw an 881S for sale but I don't think it's an old stock type needle. I just was contemplating whether to waste time running up the bid for it or just buy one of the two needles you linked to and stick with my 681. When it's on, i'ts wonderful, but with this EVG stylus I am growing increasingly frustrated the more use it gets..

9. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

Well, I just nabbed the DTL-2. Still thinking about the 881S what do you suppose this stylus is? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Stant...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649

10. needlestein

Can’t be exactly sure with those photos. But the cantilever size looks like D81 of some kind, hopefully Stereohedron—possibly a weird one like the D84 for the L847S, which is the same thing anyway. There is also a D80E elliptical that it could be, which was supplied with the 880E. If it’s a late 881S from Florida, then the stylus could be a D81-IIS, which is just a highly polished .3 x .7 bonded elliptical. You’d have to ask the seller.

mccalljd likes this.
  11. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

Well now I will have to see which arrives first, the Jico D1200 or the DTL-2. Surely one of these styli will give me what I am looking for.

12. needlestein

They both will, and you’ll have a spare.

13. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

Incidentally, I discovered by reading another post of yours that my supposed EVG 822EEE is actually a Pfanstiehl with the hole in the grip and the red paint on top of the cantilever. Can't understand why it's so hit and miss on the sound quality as I thought this was supposed to be a better stylus. Sure tracked like crap on that Demons and Wizards album and the sibilance drove me bonkers.

14. needlestein

What tracking force are you using?

This is pretty much why I recommend the Jico (from Jico) D1200 now. I realize that the Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE can behave badly on different arms or maybe they are just inconsistent.

15. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

I think my D680 is a dud (or bad NOS which I imagine is very common). The cantilever is bent and it sounds terrible, even aligned to the cantilever.

16. needlestein

Didn’t you say it came in Russell packaging, though?

17. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

On one end of the package, it says Russell Industries in small print. On the other side it says EVG as a logo.

18. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

I tried it with about 1.25 grams and at about 2.25 grams. Seemed not to make much difference other than at the heavier force, the arm didn't jump around as badly.

19. boreas

boreas AK Subscriber Subscriber

EVG buys styli. They make nothing. It's possible, therefore, that they bought your stylus from Pfanstiehl's Swiss supplier.

John

20. needlestein

Or just bought the grip and put their own stylus in it. Or, or, or...

I have seen mismatched parts like that. This is why the best advice is still probably to just go with Jico directly from Jico Japan.

Credit to @malden for being persistent on this point. Other vendors say their product is “Jico” left and right but the others are not the same quality.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    tmsears and mccalljd like this.