Stanton 681EEE New Cartridge Equivalents

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by mccalljd, Dec 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tmsears

tmsears Active Member

To me, the brush was never worth the amount of anti skate I had to apply to compensate for the bias it introduced. I had a Stanton 680 and it had the same issue on any table I put it in that had a tonearm with a weak anti skate. Still have a Pickering 625E and I don't use the brush. It makes cueing a pain in the ass for me at the height I have the table at.

mccalljd likes this.
  2. tmsears

tmsears Active Member

I have one, have the exact same problem, but I only use it for overhang, but I did notice it and I already wondered if it was just mine or if others were like that.

3. needlestein

needlestein AK Subscriber Subscriber

I’ve often felt that way...especially in high school.

tmsears and mccalljd like this.
  4. tmsears

tmsears Active Member

:rflmao:

5. wualta

wualta < Spike Milligan, 1961

Tried the TEI (the auction lists the maker as "NPA") 790D. Mine came marked "D6800 SL". Tracks happily at 3.0g and sounds just right-- no aftermarket brightness disease.
    I chose 3.0g because that VTF gave me a just-noticeable amount of "sink" of the suspension when placed on a spinning record. Possibly it can track well at a lower VTF. Will try that later.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    mccalljd likes this.
  6. sgleich

sgleich AK Subscriber Subscriber

Is it me or have these gone through the roof in the last 6 months? Especially the stereohedron variety. I have been looking for one more cart for my YP D71 with a stereohedron but the pickings are pretty slim. Even a decent 681 with an EEE stylus is getting up there. I would pay for an equivalent or step up to my 681 MkII S combo if I could find something that really looks like NOS.

7. Vinylmasters

Vinylmasters Super Member

ARRRRRG!!!!!! I would have loved to have grabbed one of those!!!

8. sgleich

Anyone know what Pickering DTL-2S, DTL-3S styli will fit. Also, are these nude stereohedrons?

9. boreas

boreas AK Subscriber Subscriber

They're for the P-mount version of the XV-15 but will fit the 1/2" version as well. Both are Stereohedrons.

John

10. sgleich

Thank you. Do they fit any stanton carts?

11. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Super Member

Any needle that's for the Pickering XV-15 is equally for the Stanton 680 or 681 cartridge, as they are the same.

12. sgleich

I have a couple 681's. One with a 680 mkIIs and another with an EEE... Would a 2s or 3s be an upgrade over the EEE?

13. boreas

boreas AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes, over the EEE bot not the EEE-S. Also, you won't get a brush with those Pickerings and the Stanton brush won't work on them.

14. sgleich

Which leads to the basic question. I really enjoy the sound of my 681 with the EEE but love the sound of my 6800 II-S and want the same or better for other TT setup. What would be an upgrade? Something NOS. Or at what dollar amount should i just look for a modern upgrade?

I know these have escalated rapidly lately but would still pay for quality if i can find a keeper. Especially since i love the sound.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  15. sgleich

I ended up buying one of these, "Pickering Stereohedron DTL-3 stylus XL-35U P MOUNT" on the auction site for $50. It looks like it has never been touched. I will try the stylus in another 681 cart that I have. It seems there is a debate on whether the DTL-3 stylus is a stereohedron without the "S" stamped on it. According to this is would seem so... http://www.pickeringuk.com/styli.html#T4P

16. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

Interesting. Let us know.

17. needlestein

I'm looking at my TL Series guide and the DTL-3 stylus is listed as Stereohedron. In Plainview, and not Florida, Pickeringese, "Stereohedron" only means one thing, and it's not elliptical.

I think the confusion comes from people comparing the similar Stanton styli which are similarly marked, but not identically marked. The D72E, comes only in elliptical, the D73 comes in either "E" or "S" suffix and the D74S is only "S." But there is no D71 in the nomenclature, so there's no direct line up in the numbering to the DTL-1. The DTL-1 is a .4 x .7 elliptical like the D72E. The D73E is a finer elliptical, .3 x .7, like the DTL-2(E).

Plus, at some point, who knows why, Pickering either added the Es and Ss or stopped using them, which was probably meant to clear up confusion, but now only adds to it. My guide lists no Ss or Es. It only shows the DTL-1, DTL-2 and DTL-3 as replacement styli. My guide doesn't show a DTL-2S, but those were obviously made available at some point because with the recent release of the warehoused XL-33U, those are probably the most abundant right now.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    sgleich likes this.
  18. sgleich

Thank you. This gets confusing at times! Luckily there is so much info here on AK otherwise it would be quite difficult to sort it all out. So what is the holy grail NOS to look for? A nude, NY made Stereohedron cart and stylus.

19. needlestein

The general consensus is that the D6800EEE-IIS is the very best made for the moving iron Stanton bodies. The equally unobtainium D1800S for the Pickering XV-15 is probably the same thing. Stanton and Pickering both became more focused on their rare earth moving magnet cartridges by this time, so the vast majority of Stereohedron styli of the Stereohedron I and Stereohedron II period are going to be found for the Stanton 881 and 981 as well as any of the Pickering XSV series, all of which came with Stereohedron styli. To my knowledge, there was no XSV/X000 that was supplied with an elliptical stylus. There was at least one low output moving magnet cartridge that was equipped with an elliptical--the Stanton 785LZE, a particularly rare beast. The high output brother cartridge, I suppose, could be the Stanton 880E--also very rare.

While I like the D6800EEE-IIS, as it's very, very silky and it's output is lower than most other styli--probably due to a smaller magnet in order to keep the cantilever mass as low as possible while maintaining acceptable output levels. A delicate tracer, the fact is that it does not have the "slam" that other styli have, so it is not as exciting to my ears. This is why it's important to consider the type of music you intend to listen to. The D6800EEE-IIS as an ultimately refined stylus, is probably best for complex classical music as it will declutter the instrumentation very, very well and extended bass response might not be as important. But if you want something for less complex, refined and delicate recordings than classical music, the DTL-2S will be a lot easier to find and probably serve you better. This advice is probably latter day advice for the severely depleted supply since you ideally want to preserve your D6800EEE-IIS for as long as possible. You never know when you'll see one again and at what price. For that reason, it makes sense not to waste it on more basic types of music.

20. sgleich

As always, thank you. I also like the sounf of the 6800 EEE that I have on a 681. As for music, most is late 50's and early 60's jazz. Blakey, Morgan, Gordon, Donaldson, Green, Burrell, Sonny Clark etc. A bit more slam would be nice. The MkII S certainly does and amazing job with everything else, especially cymbals.