1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Stanton 681EEE New Cartridge Equivalents

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by mccalljd, Dec 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sgleich

sgleich AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anyone know what Pickering DTL-2S, DTL-3S styli will fit. Also, are these nude stereohedrons?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. boreas

boreas "If it sounds good, it IS good." E.K.E.

They're for the P-mount version of the XV-15 but will fit the 1/2" version as well. Both are Stereohedrons.

John

3. sgleich

Thank you. Do they fit any stanton carts?

4. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Super Member

Any needle that's for the Pickering XV-15 is equally for the Stanton 680 or 681 cartridge, as they are the same.

5. sgleich

I have a couple 681's. One with a 680 mkIIs and another with an EEE... Would a 2s or 3s be an upgrade over the EEE?

6. boreas

boreas "If it sounds good, it IS good." E.K.E.

Yes, over the EEE bot not the EEE-S. Also, you won't get a brush with those Pickerings and the Stanton brush won't work on them.

7. sgleich

Which leads to the basic question. I really enjoy the sound of my 681 with the EEE but love the sound of my 6800 II-S and want the same or better for other TT setup. What would be an upgrade? Something NOS. Or at what dollar amount should i just look for a modern upgrade?

I know these have escalated rapidly lately but would still pay for quality if i can find a keeper. Especially since i love the sound.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  8. sgleich

I ended up buying one of these, "Pickering Stereohedron DTL-3 stylus XL-35U P MOUNT" on the auction site for $50. It looks like it has never been touched. I will try the stylus in another 681 cart that I have. It seems there is a debate on whether the DTL-3 stylus is a stereohedron without the "S" stamped on it. According to this is would seem so... http://www.pickeringuk.com/styli.html#T4P

9. mccalljd

mccalljd Active Member

Interesting. Let us know.

10. sgleich

Thank you. This gets confusing at times! Luckily there is so much info here on AK otherwise it would be quite difficult to sort it all out. So what is the holy grail NOS to look for? A nude, NY made Stereohedron cart and stylus.

11. sgleich

As always, thank you. I also like the sounf of the 6800 EEE that I have on a 681. As for music, most is late 50's and early 60's jazz. Blakey, Morgan, Gordon, Donaldson, Green, Burrell, Sonny Clark etc. A bit more slam would be nice. The MkII S certainly does and amazing job with everything else, especially cymbals.

12. sgleich

Well, I will say that the D6800EEE-IIS / 681 combination is the best I have heard on any system I have ever owned. My Stanton fixation started when trying to find out why a JVC JL A-40 sounded so good. The basically new stylus and cart on it was a Stanton 600EE that had punch, clarity and a nice high end. Then I did a search on AK and that was that.

So now, I carry my D6800EEE-IIS back and forth from our showroom PL-610 to my home Yamaha YP D-71 like I am smuggling jewels. ( I guess I am actually, one jewel) I suppose the goal is to find the perfect match for my home TT and leave it there whether it is the 681 / D6800EEE-IIS or something else. I would say right now the D6800EEE-IIS sounds better on the PL-610 in the showroom system for low end but that could be speakers and amp. I am not too educated about arm matching etc. I could go with one of the low output carts also since I have preamps with MC inputs.

I do have both 681 carts aligned well finally aside from perhaps best tonearm height if that matters at all. Arms are level now.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Super Member

A couple years ago a bunch of the XL-33U with DTL2S combos were available on ebay, and I seem to recall that a number of us bought them, if for no other reason than to get the DTL2S stylus. But my question to @needlestein is whether these XL-3_U P-mount cartridges are internally more like XV-15/680/681 series carts or more like XSV_000/880/881 series carts? If they weren't P-mounts, in other words, which of those families would they be part of --- and presumably share styli with?

14. Brian Tambe

Brian Tambe Active Member

I know this thread started on Christmas day , however , I am new to this forum and thought I would give my opinion since I once used to own the Stanton 681 EEE 38 years ago , WOW , how time flies by. Great cartridge and the sound was and is amazing and the tracking was very good. I just recently spent at least 1 full month researching today's modern cartridges to replace a 30 plus year old ADC Series 1 cartridge and after boggling my brain with information from various brands , features , specs , price , etc. I decided on Audio Technica's new VM line of MM cartridges. I chose the VM 740 ML cartridge with the " Micro line " stylus and at a price of $329 , was by far the best cartridge under $500 due to it's Aluminum Alloy cantilever and body allowing less distortion and much better performance. The Micro line stylus tracks superbly and the sound is amazing with crisp ( not too bright ) high's and deep rich smooth and warm bass. Since Stanton doesn't produce cartridges anymore ( I checked before purchasing ) I read reviews on the Shure , Ortofon , Denon ( they specialize in Moving Coil only ) , Sumiko Pearl , Grado just to let you know that I researched all the current name brands and found the Audio technical line to offer the most value and best sound and build quality under the $500-$600 price point. My Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver has a Moving Magnet phono input and so I was somewhat limited to the brands that I already mentioned. I would have tried perhaps the Denon or Dynavector line , however , they specialize in only Moving Coil. The 700 series from Audio Technica is their premium line of MM cartridges and there are 3 in this line up. 1. The VM 740 ML ( the one I chose ) with the Micro Line stylus and Aluminum Alloy cantilever and housing , $329 price tag 2. The VM 750 SH with the Shibata Stylus and Aluminum Alloy Cantilever and housing , $399 price tag 3. The VM 760 SLC with the Special Line Contact Stylus and Aluminum Alloy cantilever and housing , price tag $639. I hope this comment helps for those in the same predicament that I was in to get a high quality and great sounding cartridge without breaking the bank and causing a " Divorce " . BTW: These 700 Series Cartridges have interchangeable Stylus' and I find that to be a really valuable feature if you want to try another type of quality styli. Thanks for reading.

Natitude likes this.