Stanton 681EEE-S Shibata by Jico - 1st impressions

beatcomber

AK Member
My Stanton 681EEE-S Shibata stylus arrived from Jico!

First off, they sent it without including the stabilizing brush - grrrrr. I am going to contact them and see if they will send me one. (In the meanwhile, if any AK'ers have an extra Stanton brush they are willing to part with, please contact me.)

Keep in mind that I have never heard a 681 with a vintage Stereohedron, or any other stylus for that matter (I bought this cart on eBay without a stylus), so I can't evaluate it against any other styli.

I'm using this 681 on a stock Technics SL-1200MK2, with the tracking set to 1.25 grams and the VTA set so that the headshell is parallel with the surface of the record.

My immediate impression was that it was very crisp and precise, but somewhat 2D and a bit on the bright side. About half-way through the first side of the first LP, it suddenly began to open up. Soundstage noticeably deepened and it suddenly began to sound very punchy and dynamic, and the bass began to reveal itself more than it did at the beginning of the side. I've never experienced a new stylus bloom so quickly and so suddenly before!

I've only played about 3 LPs sides so far, so this stylus obviously has a ways to go before unleashing its full potential. I expect that the brightness will soften as it breaks in. (It's not nearly as bright as an AT440MLa however.)

So far I like the Jico Shibata, and am looking forward to seeing how the 681 sounds in a few weeks. I will report back as I become more familiar with it.

Thanks for the heads up! I've been wanting to pull the trigger on the same stylus for a while. I guess it's time :D
Cheers

Enjoy the new stylus and look forward to your evaluation because I'll eventually add one to my 680 setup. Mixed blessing with the brush. With my experience with the one for the Pickering xsv3000 you will probably be happier with an original brush. Im sure someone here will come up with one for you.

I will post soon on my evaluation of the Jico for the XSV.

I will be following your impressions closely. My LPGear Shibata for my 681EEE sounded good out of the box, and then, one day, about 50 hours into it, it just happened. I was sitting at my computer across the room, and I looked up, stopped typing, and just listened. That's when mine "bloomed" - and it was spectacular!

The best money I have ever spent.

I don't use the brush that came with mine - so I'll gladly send you mine. PM me your mailing address, and I'll get it out in Monday's mail.

Rob

Don't mean to be cynical, but why would an industrial diamond, cut to precise dimensions, need to be broken in?

Don't mean to be cynical, but why would an industrial diamond, cut to precise dimensions, need to be broken in?

I can't give any logical reason but it happens to be true - probably not the stylus as SpruceMoose suggested but the internals eg suspension & coils. An old Fender often sounds better as well.

I can't give any logical reason but it happens to be true - probably not the stylus as SpruceMoose suggested but the internals eg suspension & coils. An old Fender often sounds better as well.

As does an old Gibson :D

Beatcomber, glad your JICO came and you shared your impressions so quickly. I suspect you will be better off with a genuine Stanton brush, nice gesture Hifirob2! :thmbsp:

Yep, as you described, that's the sound alright, very similar to my experience with the LPGear Shibata. Strong tight punchy bass very dynamic with superb transients sounding amazing with live recordings, not a hint of brightness on mine and with a nicely portrayed sound stage this cartridge has character and is fun to listen to for long periods without fatigue.

My LPGear Shibata also sounded a bit 2-D when new but interestingly not bright. I noticed this Shibata does tend to sound more 3-D and refined with the Cambridge 640P but more lively and 2-D with the Bugle preamp.

Glad you're liking it so far, tried to take a pic of the LPGear stylus but my digital camera isn't cooperating and won't focus in macro mode. I noticed a unique physical feature of the stylus and will try to describe it instead. The end of the cantilever has a longer than normal curve around and the outer edges of the cantilever are rolled over not just at the very end but the entire length of the curve around 3/32" giving it an almost shovel like appearance. Does yours share this same feature?

I suspect you will be better off with a genuine Stanton brush, nice gesture Hifirob2! :thmbsp:

Yes indeed!

My LPGear Shibata also sounded a bit 2-D when new but interestingly not bright.

I think I'm a bit sensitive to brightness, probably because I have Klipsch Heresy speakers. I recently sold an AT440MLa because I couldn't handle the brightness.

My main cart since September has been a Denon DL-160. The 681EEE has similar characteristics, but is a bit more lively and seems to be punchier. I haven't yet done a straight A/B comparison yet between the two; I plan to wait until the Jico breaks in, to make it a fairer fight. I suspect I will ultimately like the 681/Jico better.

I noticed this Shibata does tend to sound more 3-D and refined with the Cambridge 640P but more lively and 2-D with the Bugle preamp.

I'm using a Rega Fono Mini, FWIW.

Glad you're liking it so far, tried to take a pic of the LPGear stylus but my digital camera isn't cooperating and won't focus in macro mode. I noticed a unique physical feature of the stylus and will try to describe it instead. The end of the cantilever has a longer than normal curve around and the outer edges of the cantilever are rolled over not just at the very end but the entire length of the curve around 3/32" giving it an almost shovel like appearance. Does yours share this same feature?

Yup, that sounds like the Jico. The cantilever sort of curls outward, and is shaped like a piece of celery. Here's a closeup of the Jico's underside, from their website:

e007916.jpg

Last edited:
Yes indeed!

I think I'm a bit sensitive to brightness, probably because I have Klipsch Heresy speakers. I recently sold an AT440MLa because I couldn't handle the brightness.

My main cart since September has been a Denon DL-160. The 681EEE has similar characteristics, but is a bit more lively and seems to be punchier. I haven't yet done a straight A/B comparison yet between the two; I plan to wait until the Jico breaks in, to make it a fairer fight. I suspect I will ultimately like the 681/Jico better.

I'm using a Rega Fono Mini, FWIW.

Yup, that sounds like the Jico. The cantilever sort of curls outward, and is shaped like a piece of celery. Here's a closeup of the Jico's underside, from their website:

e007916.jpg

I understand your brightness issue, one reason I'm using tube amps.

Dang! I was thinking the very same thing a few minutes ago as I've been listening to the DL-110 and 681EEE Shibata on my SL-1700mkII. The two cartridges share much in common with the Denon adding a slightly airy MC sound and the Stanton greater dynamic range.

Piece of celery is a good description, why didn't I think of that? Also interesting to note is the LPGear Shibata has the same blue mark as shown in your pic.

I'm beginning to suspect more so the LPGear Shibata is made by JICO, IMO the cantilver shape is too unusual (where it's not seen in your pic) not to be by the same mfg.

Last edited:
Enjoy the new stylus and look forward to your evaluation because I'll eventually add one to my 680 setup. Mixed blessing with the brush. With my experience with the one for the Pickering xsv3000 you will probably be happier with an original brush. Im sure someone here will come up with one for you.

I will post soon on my evaluation of the Jico for the XSV.

I'll look forward to it, as I'll soon (Mon??) be getting an XSV3000 that I won on E-bay!!

Hi ChairSpud - You are right on the money to suspect a genuine Stanton brush would be better - I did, too, before I PM'd Beatcomber earlier, but wasn't clear in my earlier post - sorry about that.

I have two brushes - both new except for a brief time I used them for testing and comparisons. One is the brush that came with my LPGear shibata, and the other is a NOS brush from a D6800EE stylus I bought only last year.

While they both work fine, there are slight differences. I'm sending Beatcomber the genuine Stanton because it looks to be higher quality. I'll hang onto the LPGear one, for the few times I need it (severely warped records). None of my tables have enough range of anti-skate adjustment to correct for when I use the brush, and actually track worse on non-warped records, so I run my 681EEE's & Pickering XV-15's without the brush.

And your good description of the cantilever on the LPGear stylus also was on the money - mine looks the same. A noticeable difference from my NOS stylus.

Rob

Funny you say this! I have Klipsch Quartets, and was also concerned about harshness. I had ordered a AT440MLa from LPGear, and then I read here on AK about that quality of the AT. I emailed LPGear, and switched to the Stanton Shibata. I caught them right before they shipped it out, so I was very happy to get the Shibata instead.

I look forward to your comparison between the JICO and your Denon (another cart/stylus I've researched).

Rob

Hi ChairSpud - You are right on the money to suspect a genuine Stanton brush would be better - I did, too, before I PM'd Beatcomber earlier, but wasn't clear in my earlier post - sorry about that.

I have two brushes - both new except for a brief time I used them for testing and comparisons. One is the brush that came with my LPGear shibata, and the other is a NOS brush from a D6800EE stylus I bought only last year.

While they both work fine, there are slight differences. I'm sending Beatcomber the genuine Stanton because it looks to be higher quality. I'll hang onto the LPGear one, for the few times I need it (severely warped records). None of my tables have enough range of anti-skate adjustment to correct for when I use the brush, and actually track worse on non-warped records, so I run my 681EEE's & Pickering XV-15's without the brush.

And your good description of the cantilever on the LPGear stylus also was on the money - mine looks the same. A noticeable difference from my NOS stylus.

Rob

Rob, sounds like you've already been where I'm going, I started with a new Stanton D6800EEE stylus from KAB and then the Shibata from LPGear.

Did you happen to notice if your brush on the LPGear points down closer to the front of the cartridge by about 10 degrees?

What I'd like to know is how the new aftermarket Shibata stylus compares to an original Stanton Stereohedron?

Rob, sounds like you've already been where I'm going, I started with a new Stanton D6800EEE stylus from KAB and then the Shibata from LPGear.

Did you happen to notice if your brush on the LPGear points down closer to the front of the cartridge by about 10 degrees?

What I'd like to know is how the new aftermarket Shibata stylus compares to an original Stanton Stereohedron?

LOL - I started with the LPGear Shibata, and loved it so much, that I wanted to know how styli lower down the chain sounded. I was thrilled to find my local Hi-Fi shop had some NOS Stantons, and they were the .2X.7 D6800EE, so I bought one.

To me they sound *close* to the same. BUT - the shape of the Shibata is tracing my records in a new way - most sound like they were brand new - the noise floor almost disappeared. So far, the Shibata sounds worse on only one record I've played. It must have some sort of groove damage, because it sounds great with an elliptical

I do feel that if I had a better table, the Shibata would sound even better.

You mention if the LPGear one points down closer to the front of the cart by about 10 degrees......that looks to be true. I have them removed and laying side by side on my table (see pic - the genuine stanton is on the bottom). First I notice that the arm of the LPGear one is slightly longer. The angle between the arm and the bristles is about 80 degrees on the genuine stanton, and about 65-70 degrees on the LPGear one. The chrome ball on the genuine stanton is much more polished, and reflects very well. The LPGear one is actually a bit larger in diameter, and not as shiny - my reflection is very fuzzy when I look into it. Does that make any sense?

I also would like to compare an original stereohedron to the shibata. My guess is that a NOS Stereohedron would be better - but worth the difference in price??

Rob

Attachments

• brushes.jpg
    brushes.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 106
I understand your brightness issue, one reason I'm using tube amps.

Yeah, me too! A 20 wpc '62 Voice of Music 1448 - which is why I have the Klipsch.

Dang! I was thinking the very same thing a few minutes ago as I've been listening to the DL-110 and 681EEE Shibata on my SL-1700mkII. The two cartridges share much in common with the Denon adding a slightly airy MC sound and the Stanton greater dynamic range.

Perfectly described.

I'm beginning to suspect more so the LPGear Shibata is made by JICO, IMO the cantilver shape is too unusual (where it's not seen in your pic) not to be by the same mfg.

It looks like this mystery has been solved!

I was thrilled to find my local Hi-Fi shop had some NOS Stantons, and they were the .2X.7 D6800EE, so I bought one.

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing some old Stanton or Pickering styli for sale at the Audio Lab in Harvard Square. I'll have to find out what they have the next time I'm in the area.

Beatcomber, do you recall what they were selling for?

I plan on visiting Mike later this week.

The last time I was there I didn't have a 681 yet, so I just thought it was neat that they had them, but didn't look at the details. I'm not even sure which styli they had, but the packaging didn't look like nowadays Stanton product.

They're in the glass counter with all the other styli. Please report back what they have!

Back
Top Bottom