Stanton 890SA stylus

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by eriathomas, Sep 11, 2017.

1. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

I picked up a Technics 1200 M3D today, and it came with a Stanton 890SA cartridge that looks to be a DJ cartridge. Are there any good elliptical styli for it? Never had a Stanton before, so am curious. Thanks.

2. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

There used to be, but Stanton as you and I know it is no more. Gibson Guitars bought the company, and closed the Florida plant. And Stanton generic styli are and have always been a crapshoot.

3. BobbyBluz

BobbyBluz Well-Known Member

KABUSA has the correct elliptical stylus for it. Personally I prefer the Stanton one made for that cartridge and they should still be fairly inexpensive. Kevin at KABUSA told me the 890SA is basically a hotter version of the great 881. That's what I'm using in my 1200 M3D. I have several Stanton cartridges mounted in Technics headshells and after much evaluation settled on the 890SA for my production work.

4. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

All KAB's are generic too it seems. TVOM has one for a decent price, so I might grab that since I need a stylus for my AT2211EH (AT11/12) too.

5. needlestein

needlestein Addicted Member

There's a guy on ebay who's got a ton of 890E styli. He says he's an old Stanton tech. However, he includes the 890E's in sales of Moving Iron cartridges, too, and claims there is no hum. I bought one off of him to see if they're from a different batch according to his claims, but I have verified that they hum in Moving Iron bodies, too, just like all the other moving magnet styli in moving iron bodies. So disregard the whole bit in his narrative about how well they work in the moving iron bodies. That's total nonsense.

In any case, since you want an elliptical for your 890E, look up seller "shagone." He sells them for about $25 a piece.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    KentTeffeteller likes this.
  6. needlestein

7. needlestein

There is also a Tonar brand elliptical on ebay that is sold for the 881-S. While it is a poor replacement for the 881-S, it would be an excellent replacement for the 890SA for non-DJ use, particularly if you were looking for an elliptical. On my 880E, it requires 1.9g tracking force to get through Level 5 of the Shure Era III test record, hence why someone who is used to the 881-S and has it mounted to a light arm would not likely accept this as a credible substitute; ditto the XSV/3000. It's not nearly compliant enough. Taken for what it is, though, it actually sounds really good. I haven't tried it in my SA body, but I would expect it to be good. Bonus: the brush actually does a good job if you want to use the brush.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192279927120

8. needlestein

For about the same price, there is the old aftermarket standby, the Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE.

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cata...pe=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Stanton&Categories=

You want the one on the above page that is the Pfan Swiss 4822-DEE-P. It's sold for the Stanton 680/681, but it works just as well, actually I think even better, in the moving magnet bodies. Like the Tonar above, it is usually less compliant, though, and needs a good 2g to get past Level 5 of the Shure Era III test record. This could mean that you really only need 1.7g or so to get through 95% of your record collection though, and only 1.5g or so to get through 85% of it. For most records, it will not be a problem to run it at a lower tracking force.

I have tried the EVG replacement for the 881 and I am not a fan (in the TVOM page above listed as the 4822-DEEE). Mine is grainy sounding somehow, rides low, and the brush stinks. I'd much prefer the Tonar. The Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE to me still has the best sound, with the Tonar second.

One main reason I like the Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE is that it rides high, with tons of clearance between the stylus grip and the vinyl surface--more than with originals. This stylus can track lip warps like a mongoose. Also, the Tonar, while it sounds very good, suffers from some of the same problems that the EVG does: the stylus insert tube is at the wrong angle, which gives the appearance that the stylus is riding low. The clearance is very narrow. But actually, the grip is at the wrong angle relative to the insert tube. The front part of the bottom surface of the grip should be parallel with the record surface, but it is not. When I have time, I think I'm going to sand some material off the bottom of my styli and see if that helps.

9. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

Thanks needlestein, it's always good to have a few options. I might try the Pfan 4822-DEE-P out. So much knowledge from you, thanks!

10. needlestein

You're welcome. If it were me, I'd start with the 890E and an offer of $15 to the seller. It's a great sounding stylus. The options I gave you also, according to the packaging, give you three elliptical stylus sizes to choose from, all bonded.

The 890E is a .4 x .7, the Tonar is a .3 x .7 and the Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE is a .2 x .7.

11. KentTeffeteller

The 890SA is Moving Iron. A 680 in disguise. Which is why the stylus works on them.

12. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

So I should avoid the NOS stanton stylus? Don't really want it to hum on me.

13. Stanton681EEES

Stanton681EEES Addicted Member

Kevin at KABUSA told me the 890SA is basically a hotter version of the great 881.

Kent if that is true then why would Kevin at KAB tell someone the 890SA is a hotter version of the 881.

14. vwestlife

vwestlife Active Member

In the official specs from Stanton, the 890 is closer to the moving-iron 680/681 series than it is to the 881S:

680/681: 1300 ohms resistance, 930 mH inductance
    890SA: 1300 ohms resistance, 970 mH inductance
    881 MkII S: 900 ohms resistance, 510 mH inductance

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  15. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

No you guys are confusing me. The NOS tracks kinda high, but I assume should be fine at 2.5-3 grams and not do damage to my records? The voice of music recommanded their 824 family, which has a 4824-DE pfan with a brush, that track at .75-1.25.

16. KentTeffeteller

This is also why I suspect it is Moving Iron. Notice the difference between the 890 SA specs and the 881 Mk II S specs. Stanton's spec is somewhat trusted. I have no issue with KAB's knowledge either.

17. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Turntable Whisperer Subscriber

I have a DJ kit of a pair of 890 carts. They come with two styli, the 890 SA and the 890 RM. The SA is conical, designed for heavier tracking/scratching and tracks at 2 to 5 grams. The RM is designed for regular playback 0.4 x 0.7 elliptical and tracks at 1 to 4 grams.

I have an 881S cartridge mounted on a Grace arm for my Frankentable. I will swap out the 881-S for the 890 RM for more "compromised" discs and it plays just fine. Punchier and higher output, as you'd expect from a DJ stylus. If I put my 681 stylus on the same cart, it doesn't play.

I'm not going to say this resolves the "moving iron" vs "moving magnet" debate. But the styli for the 890 series would appear to be more akin to the 881 than the 68x.

BTW -- the OEM 890 RM is a pretty nice stylus. Not as nice as the 881S, of course. But it acquits itself well. Might be worth keeping an eye out for one of those. Probably shouldn't be crazy expensive since it was marketed as a DJ stylus.

EDIT: Someone on That Auction Site is selling the N890E which is a later iteration of the stylus (slightly heavier minimum tracking force, and oddly enough lower output than the RM). At the price they're selling, it's a pretty good deal for an OEM stylus that is guaranteed to work.

18. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

That's the one needlestein was talking about. I guess it's worth a shot. Hopefully I can track it closer to 2g, since I like tracking a bit lower. Thanks everyone.

19. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Turntable Whisperer Subscriber

Hard to find ANY genuine OEM styli at that price.TBH, I'm tempted to grab one myself as a spare, but want to make sure you get one 1st.

20. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

Just grabbed one, so you're good. It looks like the recommended tracking force is 3g. That's not heavy enough to cause excess wear with a elliptical is it? Obviously don't want to ruin my records by causing premature wear.