Stanton D71EE Opinion?

banyanleaf

Just got this cartridge by chance. I only see replacement stylus on the internet, so I assume it is discontinued. Seems like the stylus is a .4X.7mm elliptical with tracking force ranging from 0.75-2g. How is it compared to AT92E? Is it worth my effort to find a replacement stylus? Thanks for any input.

I don't think that a 500 stylus would fit without trimming some plastic off the top. They probably also track too heavy for p-mount applications, if that is what you are up to. What turntable will you use this on?

It is also possible that someone put a D71EE stylus on a standard mount 500 body. What does it look like?

Last edited:
I'm not certain, but I think you may have a hard time finding a good replacement for it. Seems that I've read fairly often that the aftermarket replacements for this aren't very good at all, and that the originals are made of unobtanium.

I am actually going to use it on a T4P table. A Technics linear tracking.

I don't think that a 500 stylus would fit without trimming some plastic off the top. They probably also track too heavy for p-mount applications, if that is what you are up to. What turntable will you use this on?

It is also possible that someone put a D71EE stylus on a standard mount 500 body. What does it look like?

The DE from the UK site is about the best you are going to find for your application even though the price has gone up a bit in the last year. At least the shipping is free and their styli are the real thing. I have two, including one NIB and they sound fine.

Last edited:
I just got a couple from an ebay seller in Miami. They won't turn up if you search for D71EE, though. Run a search for D74S and you'll find it. TEI brand. I put them in my cart, an L700E, which I think is the same as the L720EE, and they sound the same as or pretty close to the originals. Definitely worlds better than the horrid Pfanstiehls I got, which don't track at 1.25g like they're supposed to.

This one?

http://www.lpgear.com/product/STAD0074S.html

Vinylmasters, that's a real D74S stylus, which won't work on these cartridges.

The eBay item title is "NEW STANTON NEEDLE STYLUS D-71E D-73 D-73S D-74S D-98S" but is actually selling a Pickering DLC stylus, a conical that will fit the Stanton 500 and its p-mount relatives. Hard to tell from the photo, but that might be a genuine Pickering in aftermarket packaging.

Needlestein, do these stylii have a logo on the front?

Attachments

• 748D.JPG
    748D.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 61
For T4p you have the D71EE and the A conical as your options and their Pickering cousins. The other 500 styli are off limits, you can't track them at correct force, and the same goes for the Pickering V 15 line except for those tracking reliably at 1.5 grams maximum.

I have a D71EE I bought from LPGear for a goldbody Stanton 500, and I really like it. I don't have any other stylii for it, so I can't compare, but it sure makes nice music in my living room setup with my Pioneer PL-41.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 117
To be honest, once I got some other p-mount cartridge options, I gave up on getting my Stanton L720 and Pickering TLE to sound good, and went with other options. As someone else posted in one of the multiple Stanton/Pickering p-mount threads that have been used in recent days, I think the D71 and D72 stylii probably do better at higher tracking forces than the 1.25 p-mount standard VTF. Perhaps I should try them out again at higher tracking force values.

Vinylmasters, that's a real D74S stylus, which won't work on these cartridges.

The eBay item title is "NEW STANTON NEEDLE STYLUS D-71E D-73 D-73S D-74S D-98S" but is actually selling a Pickering DLC stylus, a conical that will fit the Stanton 500 and its p-mount relatives. Hard to tell from the photo, but that might be a genuine Pickering in aftermarket packaging.

Needlestein, do these stylii have a logo on the front?

I bought two of these. These are clone 71ee/DLC styli. They sound real good on all the Stantons and Pickerings. I actually think they sound better than the real Stanton 71ee, at least the output is higher. Authentic 71 puts out 3.9mV but these DLCs you are in the 5.0-5.5mV range.

I can find no markings on the DLC stylii sold by the guy in Miami. I do not think they are original, and the may even be elliptical.

they are elliptical, it is in the part number

OTHER GENERIC
826-DE
826DE

Traking force
1.0 - 2.0 gr.
.4 X .7 mil Conical Diamond

I'm resurrecting this thread.

Sold some JBL L100T's with t3 upgrade sadly. My ears never adjusted to them....but anyway, got a hitachi something something 350 tt in the deal. Wasn't expecting much out of the Stanton cart
and what looks to be an original stylus.

Set tracking force at 1.25 and was stunned to hear no sibilance at ALL. First for me. I've always heard it . Even my Grado black with 8mz. But this cart...none.

Anyway, I'm pretty tickled. The tt isn't bad, either. Sorta cheap plinth, but after some initial pitch fluctuation was solved by a generous turning of the 33/45 knob and slow/fast knob, all is well.

This hobby is the damnedest thing.

Back
Top Bottom