STAR WARS on RCA SelectaVision!

Discussion in 'Non-audio related DIY' started by blhagstrom, Jul 16, 2017.

1. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

The latest pile turned up an RCA SelectaVision and a bunch of discs.

What a blast from the past!

I remember renting one of these "back in the day"

IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG

Lavane likes this.
  2. GuyK

GuyK Addicted Member

Is that one of the CED machines? As in analog video?

3. mars_volta

mars_volta Super Member

Cool! We used to rent those once in a while when I was a kid.

4. bryblob

bryblob AK Subscriber Subscriber

does it play laserdiscs or....idk, never heard heard of it, but i'm interested to know.

5. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

Yes, CED.

Google Selectavision, the wiki page explains it.
    It's really out there.

No laser.

6. jcamero

jcamero If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind. Subscriber

I had one of those when they first came out. I bought numerous music videos. I took it to many parties, it was a big hit. I may still have the movies somewhere.

7. tonebells

tonebells AK Subscriber Subscriber

Video by the needle.

[​IMG]

Lavane likes this.
  8. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a freind who bought one of these when they came out. I always wondered why it was even made when VHS was already the standard. After a few plays the picture degrades, color bloom and loss of focus. We did rent discs for it though. Getting one that skipped kind of sucked. You knew someone popped it open just to see what was in the cartridge. My friend still has it along with a working Quasar top loading VHS machine.

9. Gazdatronik

Gazdatronik Super Member

RCA put so much into it they had no choice but to try to recoup the loss. The system would have been "ready" by the end of the 60's had they actually went forward with some effort perfecting the prototypes. If they could have released it then, it would have been a hit because there was no competition.

They still thought they had a fighting chance in '81 since the level of precision to build a CED player was less than that of a VCR, meaning it could be cheaper to manufacture, and cheaper for the end user, about $100 less than the cheapest VHS deck. The movies themselves were cheaper to make too, and roughly a third of the price of a VHS pre-recorded, since they could use existing record stamping tooling. Too little too late, though.

Lavane likes this.
  10. GuyK

GuyK Addicted Member

i was just a kid when these came out, and only heard of them at the time; I never had opportunity to see one before everyone was talking about getting laser disks.

11. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sort of like the giant cassette tapes. Putting RTR quality recordings on a large cassette. It died a quick death also and was revived in a smaller, cheaper lower fidelity version.

12. Hajidub

Hajidub He's a beast! Subscriber

Never heard of these until this thread, now I found (2) for sale locally on C's List. They come with spare stylus' and everything.

13. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have come across tons of CED discs in thrifts but never a player. I guess I'll just have to settle for all of my Star Wars movies on laser disc.

14. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

tonebells likes this.
  15. dewdude

dewdude I fix stuff.

So the way these worked is quite interesting. The stylus of the thing was actually an electrode and the disc was electrically conductive. The groove was essentially vertically cut with an FM signal to form a different groove depth, which was read by the stylus-electrode as a varying capacitance. I don't know all the details...but long story short; this varying capacitance alters the frequency of a resonant circuit...which recreates the FM signal for demodulation. It was still a physical contact medium and would wear out. You also only had 3MHz of bandwidth to play with.

*took me over a week to realize I accidentally typed lateral*

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  16. Wildcat

Wildcat "Line and Bubble" (Pete Turner, R.I.P.) Subscriber

We had a nearby independent video store that rented both Laserdiscs and CED discs. I had a Pioneer LD-660 top loader LD player at the time, but I had always wondered how the picture of the CEDs compared, and if anyone local ever rented them. Back then, too, it was easy to copy a LD to VHS. ;)