Start up issues with Yamah CR-2020

whitecaddie

Long time lurker, infrequent poster here.

I have a CR-2020 which has recently started acting up. When first turned on, the signal is distorted, and sometimes only comes out of one channel. Which channel varies. This is not source dependent. After say 4 or 5 minutes, the distortion stops, but both channels do not operate consistently.

I am not sure if the service mods were done, but I have some vague recollection of being told they were by the person I purchased it from some years back.

I think it may be running hot, but am not certain of that either.

Ideas?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sounds like dirty switches and/or controls. It needs a good deox-iting. The coupler switch on the rear panel needs to be cleaned as well.

Sounds like dirty switches and/or controls. It needs a good deox-iting. The coupler switch on the rear panel needs to be cleaned as well.
I gave it what I thought was a pretty good cleaning yesterday, and it is vastly improved. Now when I turn it on, there is say a 3 minute delay before there is an audible click. It works fine after the click, but poorly before. Was my cleaning job less that adequate, or is something else amiss? I can easily live with the delay.

Thanks.

Your protect relay should "click" within 5-10 seconds after power on. There is a capacitor in the protect circuit that establishes the relay delay.It is most likely dried up .

The reciever should not work, at all, until the relay clicks ! probably have other capacitors in the power supply/protect circuit that are due for replacement.

Last edited:
Your protect relay should "click" within 5-10 seconds after power on. There is a capacitor in the protect circuit that establishes the relay delay.It is most likely dried up .

The reciever should not work, at all, until the relay clicks ! probably have other capacitors in the power supply/protect circuit that are due for replacement.
Thanks.

Such work is beyond me. So into the shop it goes.

Back
Top Bottom