1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Started restoration on my CA-810 !

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Bert 1100, May 16, 2017.

1. Willy6

Willy6 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Is the hum coming through to the speakers or does it hum with out the speakers connected?I'm getting a hum through my speakers and I've been trying to get rid of it with no luck yet.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

No hum through the speakers, this was purely a mechanical vibration. Hence the rubber blocks :)

Willy6 likes this.
  3. Mr. Yamaha

Mr. Yamaha Not so much Yamaha lately...

Yes, only mechanical, not through the speakers.

Where did you buy the rubber blocks?

4. Bastian

Bastian New Member

Hello everyone.

I'm in the process of restoring a CA 810. I am going by the schematics, and I have couple questions.

First is that I noticed capacitor C813 value on the soldered cap on the board was a 33uf, but I read on the schematics 3.3uf. I placed the 3.3uf and it sounds nice as long as the main in is fed directly by a DAC or a phono preamp (no using the ca 810 preamp) However!, using the yamaha integrated preamp I am having trouble with the highs. They do not sound detailed at all. It sounds cheap, at lack of better words. Also, there is something going on causing ear fatigue after 1 hour of listening. It's somewhat sad to have the CA 810 being used as a stereo amp...

So I have two questions. Capacitor C 813, is it 3.3uf or 33uf?? How this cap affects sound? I used elnas on the tone board... Should I try different caps? What should I be looking for?

I doubt this is the signature sound of this amplifier. Cymbals and air instruments does not sound like metal at all. Electric guitars are somewhat painful on the highs.

Any advise might help.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  5. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Probably a typo in the schematic. There are alot of them..Always go with what is installed. Unless your absolutely sure someone else has replaced the OEM cap.

smurfer77 likes this.
  6. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

Mr. Yamaha likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.