Starting Marantz 2325 rebuild

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Steven Tate, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

@Wallie : thank you once more for the BOM.
    But I just wanted to mention that in the document, the "amount" of each component is quite messed up, many mistakes
    And P100 is missing altogether from the list.
    Maybe you want to update the document before too many people use it and and up with missing components ?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. wurlyman

wurlyman Active Member

P100 is the FM front end, no electrolytic caps or anything to replace in there. No need to even take it's cover off.

3. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

Ooops, yes you're right. It is P150 (AM board) that is missing in the BOM....

4. wurlyman

wurlyman Active Member

I can't locate the Mouser numbers but here's my replacements and values. The 1.0 and 4.7s could be film caps if you wanted to, I had the lytics and chose to use them. All are Panasonic or Nichikon 105 degree c.
    _DSC0334a.JPG

5. rBuckner

rBuckner Luv 2 Restore Subscriber

^^^ Yeah, film caps on the AM board would be a useless upgrade.

You could take the front end cover off and put a little DeOxit on the bearing points to make for quieter tuning.

6. wurlyman

wurlyman Active Member

???

7. Wallie

Wallie New Member

I'll update the BOM with these, thanks! I collected the information from this thread (and the Leestero one), as this was my first serious restoration and was simply following along :D
    (EDIT: update of the BOM is done)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  8. Wallie

Wallie New Member

I agree on the amounts per parts, I'm fixing it now! I automated this process, and it messed up indeed from time to time. No problem for me as I bought way more than needed when I was shopping for my caps.

wurlyman likes this.
  9. rBuckner

rBuckner Luv 2 Restore Subscriber

Sorry for the confusion, I was responding in a positive way to: "The 1.0 and 4.7s could be film caps if you wanted to, I had the lytics and chose to use them." It wouldn't have gained you anything to have used film caps on the AM tuner board recap. The distortion on AM runs 2-4% at best so why waste any money on going to films was my premise.

On the front end, between the sections of plates, the shaft the movable section rides on has points where it is supported which I called bearing points. If they get oxidation you can hear a noise like someone blowing in a mic while doing tuning. Just a bit of DeOxit to these points will clean it up so that the noise is reduced or eliminated. It can land in a spot that makes reception poor too so is worth doing. Too much and it will pull the tuned frequency off until the carrier liquid evaporates thoroughly which is usually at least over a day and up to several. For sure you don't want to flood a front end with DeOxit!

wurlyman likes this.
  10. wurlyman

wurlyman Active Member

My front end cover screws are locked tight, can't budge 'em, but I did a little shot of Deoxit right behind the drive wheel thru the hole the shaft goes through. Thanks for the input.

11. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

@Wallie
    Now you might want to finish the work in beauty by adding P200 : FM IF Amplifier board to your BOM :biggrin:

I thought I had finished it all and then I see this shiny cover I never noticed, and there P200 was hiding.....:confused:.....lucky me I had the necessary caps in stock :)

12. Wallie

Wallie New Member

Will do when possible, probably tonight. I have not recapped this board, but I will make the list of the electrolytics and find some suitable replacements :)

EDIT: Update is done! Took a bit longer than expected :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  13. Bert 1100

Bert 1100 Super Member

No pressure, but it's just if you make something available to everyone, which is very nice of you, the information should be complete :)

14. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

84BC5B07-FA51-4C66-9527-59D08E40088D.jpeg

Just a follow up on this rebuild thread. It's been a little over a year since I did it and the 2325 has been my daily driver during that time. It sounds absolutely great and effortless driving some JBL L-100's as well as Klipsch Fortes (not at the same time). The heating problems that concerned me don't appear to be a problem in daily use. I still have one aggravating small problem that I thought was fixed when I Deoxited the internal pre/main jumpers. When I first turn the unit on and there is no signal (usually on phono input), there is a light static sound that dissipates over about 5-10 seconds, never to be heard again. It's such a small distraction that I'm not about to dig into it to try to find the source. Mainly I just play my classic rock albums the way they were intended to be played. I may have this thing buried with me. :naughty:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Echoplex, wurlyman, Aaron99 and 2 others like this.
  15. OFrank

OFrank New Member

Hi Steven... Was wondering why you used film caps in place of the Electro's for C307/308/309/323/324/325/326/331/338? Thank you in advance. 'O' Frank

16. runningdog

runningdog AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use films in most of those locations on the MPX board because they fit nicely, rather than for whatever improvement the films might or might not bring.

17. Steven Tate

Exactly. not to mention longevity.

18. bryans12v

bryans12v Marantz Junkie Subscriber

Thanks for all the effort with this thread, it will help immensely when my 2325 arrives this week. :D

Echoplex likes this.
  19. Steven Tate

Keep us updated. I really enjoy following threads like this to see how people resolve the problems that inevitably crop up. :thumbsup:

Echoplex likes this.
  20. bryans12v

bryans12v Marantz Junkie Subscriber

It arrived yesterday in one piece. The seller did a phenominal job packaging it up!

20180711_185921.jpg
    20180711_191955.jpg

Purchased it with the right channel out. After some testing I realized the issue was on the PU01 board, also noticed one of the filters had vented.
    20180712_204820.jpg

With the help of this thread, the PU board was a breeze to gain access too.

20180712_195913.jpg

Got the tone board, PU01 and buffer done last night. Figured I'd get that PITA PU01 done and out of the way!

wurlyman likes this.