Deep Purple: Machine Head
Neil Young: After the Gold Rush and Harvest
Graham Nash: Songs For Beginners
Elton John: Madman Across the Water
The Who: Who's Next
Aerosmith: Toys in the Attic
Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman
ZZ Top: Tres Hombres
Grand Funk Railroad: On Time (remember the 8 minute drum solo)
The Moody Blues: Question of Balance

Retro

This really is too damn hard! Just too many flavors to choose from. But I'll go with a record I've always liked for it's variety; "Cheap Thrills" by Big Brother and the Holding Company. It's a great mix of rock, blues, studio and live music and features my favorite female blues singer, Janis Joplin. Killer cover by R. Crumb too! It may not be perfect and right for all occasions, but I always feel good after listening.
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited:
Who's Next... the Who (you probably knew that)

Honorable mentions: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club and Abbey Road (I forget the name of the popular music combo that performed on these albums)

Discussion over....

Anyone who's ever read my posts knows I am a humble guy who always feels he can learn something from the next guy.
HOWEVER in this case I can state with absolute conviction that Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" is the greatest single album ever commited to vinyl. I'm not even a fan of the guy but every genre of popular music today somehow owes something to this album. Do yourself a favour and pick it up ASAP ( on vinyl of course ).
I'd love to hear peoples opinions on it, especially first time listeners.
Matt

No disagreement here,Matt. I am not a first time listener to this album,it has been a mainstay in my collection for years!
The "Irish Bard" is one of the greatest musicians of our time.

Alan

TYA rules!!!

Check out Ten Years After's "A Space In Time" for what I believe to be possibly the finest mixture of Blues, Rock, Country, and the heady atmosphere of the times (71 I believe) Plenty of stereo panning, long spacey fade outs or else running one song straight into the other. No need to skip tracks. Just let it play. Kind of like Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" or Hendrix's "Electric Ladyland.

Are you Experienced?

Right Artist, Wrong Title.

Only Tubejunke hinted at it.

Jimi's Electric Ladyland had Voodoo Child (slight return) and All Along
The WatchTower to earn the award outright.

But then he played the best 20 minutes of headphone heaven that these ears have ever heard. Just the thought of it is bringing 30 year old canabus remnants out of hiding in my brain.

- Rainy Day, Dream Away
- 1983...(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
- Moon, Turn The Tides...Gently Gently Away
- Still Raining, Still Dreaming

B000002P5U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:hdphones:

:ntwrthy: :ntwrthy: :ntwrthy:

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

Featuring the best song ever, Gimme Shelter, and my favorite guitar player (note the careful avoidance of the word 'best'), Keith Richards.

Perfect

Since "Axis: Bold as Love" is already taken, the MOST Perfect would have to be "Electric Ladyland".

Way, Way, Way ahead of its time, and Timeless.

"Hendrixian" Raycomics

I forgot one!

The Moody Blues "In Search Of The Lost Chord". This masterpiece should not go unmentioned. You can close your eyes and and take a ride.

"Thinking is the best way to travel" :D

Back
Top Bottom