Starting Point Systems DAC3

Discussion in 'DACs' started by highend64, Apr 18, 2018.

1. highend64

highend64 Well-Known Member

Hi, I will be planning on purchasing this DAC. Does anyone have experience using this model? Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gvl

gvl Well-Known Member

It's pretty good for what it is. I suggest you research NOS DACs before pulling the trigger, if not already. Assume that the USB input works only on Windows.

3. highend64

highend64 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about it any suggestion is appreciated.

4. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

Yes, I'm running one in my secondary system downstairs which is perhaps the best match I've come across for that system. It's a very natural, organic sounding DAC which just sounds real to my ears. I found it fantastic in that system as the Dayton USA PS220-8 based drivers are incredibly revealing and a bit aggressive at the high end. The DAC3 has softer sounding highs which means this system is not fatiguing to listen to with the DAC3 in the chain. I'd tried a number of other DAC's in that system (S.M.S.L. M8, Gustard DAC-X12, Xiang Sheng DAC-01A) though none of those were such a great match in this system.

Having said that, with some of my other systems it's too laid back however with modern speakers (bright &/or forward) such as Polks they're a fantastic match.

jt01 likes this.
  5. MudSlideSlim

MudSlideSlim Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance, but who makes the DAC3?

6. gvl

gvl Well-Known Member

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

I am also looking at buying one of these. Anyone else have opinions?

8. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

I've since found that a Weilang Audio AKM 4497EQ based DAC has the tonality and smooth presentation of the DAC3 though the superior detail of a modern DAC. Better all up.