~Starting the Cave~ First up, the workshop and Bench!

I love corded drills untill I try to use one more then 6 feet from an outlet or hanging from a ladder on the side of my house or while sitting on the floor screwing plywood down every 8".

I solved the battery problem I went with Makita 9.6V stuff I been buying it up at G sales I currently have 7 batteries 4 chargers 2) of the big varibale speed drills, 1 single speed drill with a keyed chuck, and as of this weekend an Angle drill I did have and are replacing the little 3 3/8" circular saw and goign to pickup the saber saw and falshight. I have a shelf in my tool room where the 4 chargers are mounted (each with a switch so they don't just sit there and use juice) I keep 3-4 batteries in the chargers when I'm working and can keep 2-3 drills running all day with no battery worries.

So far I have less then $125.00 in the whole mess.

Now whern I have to drill a dozen 3" holes for blow in insulation the BIG HD B&D 1/2 electric drill gets dragged out and the extension cord and such.

Nice work bench! Plenty of room for vices, grinders, buffing wheels, drill press, etc. :banana:

Oh yeah, I use a corded drill too. A Dewalt with a nice long extension cord.

Nice work bench! Plenty of room for vices, grinders, buffing wheels, drill press, etc. :banana:

Oh yeah, I use a corded drill too. A Dewalt with a nice long extension cord.

No.. I got all that stuff outside on two similar benches to this, only they are built even heavier.. This bench will just be for electronics, hobbies, like some of the wire wrapping I used to do, stained glass and other similar things... I'll still do all the heavier dirtier work out in the garage..

Great looking bench. I got 4 feet wide tucked in beside the furnace with ducts overhead and a washer and dryer in the small of my back. I can barely get a TT on my bench. I am soooo jealous. As for the drill I use a Rigid 18 volt Lithium Ion and love it. 2 batteries and they charge fast and when you are drilling they give max torque right until the end. Blew me away first time it happened I was right in the middle of a hole and the drill just stopped, no warning or slowdown or anything. I thought the drill took a crap but I slopped in the other battery and back in business. I still use my trusty 1/2" corded hammer drill for concrete and brick though.

Looks like a good place to work. It sounds like you're not going to be doing woodwork in there, but if you are something I've found helpful when building a workbench is to leave an inch or 2 of the work surface hanging off the front. That gives you something to easily clamp a work piece onto so it doesn't get away from you.

It does look kind of nekkid though...need to get a few projects on there for proper perspective. :thmbsp:

Ray

Looking good James!

Thanks.. That's just a part of what we did instead of the wine fest... I'm sure I would have enjoyed the fest more, but we are so behind on things to get done... Hopefully you had a good time there.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the top onto the fridge. Marcia can't lift it that high... I need to start getting beers chilled..

Looks like a good place to work. It sounds like you're not going to be doing woodwork in there, but if you are something I've found helpful when building a workbench is to leave an inch or 2 of the work surface hanging off the front. That gives you something to easily clamp a work piece onto so it doesn't get away from you.

It does look kind of nekkid though...need to get a few projects on there for proper perspective. :thmbsp:

Ray

Nah.. I'll do all the woodworking in the garage.. kinda hard to get the tablesaw into the basement. That and I really don't want saw dust all over the basemen... Good idea on leaving an overhang though. I do have another piece of wood I can add on top or even replace part if I need... thanks for that tip.

Thanks.. That's just a part of what we did instead of the wine fest... I'm sure I would have enjoyed the fest more, but we are so behind on things to get done... Hopefully you had a good time there.

The fest was fun it was in a very beautiful setting. We went out early and made a stop in Leesburg, Middleburg, and Paris before hitting the bottles. It was not too crowded at all either. 25-30 vineyards and maybe 500 people sampling.

wow.. that sounds like something for next year to mark down then.. Mt. Vernon kind of started out like that, but then it got crazy overpacked.. I was picturing the same thing with this fest. Maybe the distance away from the city helps.

Great looking start there, with that bench. :thmbsp: I envy you that kind of space; you should see what I have to do (and put up with) in order to get anything DIY done in this modest (by standards elsewhere) city apartment!

As for drills, I've never thought of corded vs cordless as an either/or choice: I have and use both, according to the task. For drilling holes in the concrete-slab construction here, nothing beats the big, corded Bosch set to hammer/impact. For a lot of DIY and repair stuff, though, the cordless ones (one Makita, one Taiwan off-brand) come in very handy, and for small stuff at the bench, I have several dremel and similar tools (factory-grade stuff), including a Japanese power screwdriver with its own power supply box, hand and foot controls. I also still have a smaller corded drill from the days before I got the big one, but it doesn't get very much use any more; the others cover everything pretty well most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom