Starting the swap

Sounds like it's coming along. You would think your dist would have a full mechanical advance and maybe a vacuum advance as well for added economy? (Don't know why l said economy, haha, a 540ci)

The DUI is a blueprinted HEI "dizzy' (that's Aussie slang for distributor).

It uses weights and springs for the mechanical advance. You can get them with or without vacuum advance. Mine has the vacuum can, I even added an adjustable can to it. Never have figured it out.

Performance Distributor advocates 'power timing' rather than using a timing gun. They say timing mark are notorious for being off, especially with used harmonic balancers, because the rubber layer will slip over the years. They say set the timing conservative, and then keep bumping it up (advancing it) until it pings a little, then drop it back. Other gurus say don't ever make it ping, because a little damage results immediately. The best way is get a timing wheel to check the mark on the balancer, make sure zero is zero.

MIne is set conservatively, but when I shut the key off, the motor spins backwards. I have to be ready with the clutch. I haven't figured this out yet. They call it 'dieselling', but my compression is so low, I don't know why it happens. I've cranked all vacuum advance out, and it still does it. I'm stumped.

Yep l understand the dizzy slang, haha. Ahh the old faithful 300, great engines, l rebuilt the little 200 in my mustang.

Yeah that doesn't make much sense if you have low comp, would have to be very low grade fuel which l don't think you guys would get? Do you have the vacuum connected to a "TIMED" port on your carb or a full manifold vacuum? I would not recommend a full time vacuum source.

I used to have a clevo that would run on a bit with 98 octane fuel, but that had 11:1 comp with cast heads, so to be expected.

Optimal timing all comes down to comp ratio, combustion chamber design and camshaft. Old ford v8's usually like between 34 and 36 degrees total (initial + mechanical) with factory heads, less with aftermarket, similar for the sixes.

As an aside some of those distributors that come in crate engines and also sell on ebay are absolute rubbish, have experienced some in my many years as a technician.

Last edited:
finally got it between the fenders today. We put the trans in with the engine. Had a couple extra sets of hands to make sure I didn't do anything stupid. Aside from having to take the crossmember back out a couple times it went as good as expected. Looks like the headers will clear everything. We will slowly put all the other goodies on it this week with a little luck. Got a new Griffin radiator, GM aluminum water pump, Edelbrock fuel pump, and ignition system. We have new valve covers but used old ones to put it in the car. Here it is, nestled snugly in the engine bay.

540in.jpg

Nice progress, bet you are itching to get her up and running soon!

Yeah, definitely. The extra motivation came in the form of a '69 Camaro that a friend who helped us drove over. It has nearly the exact same engine in it. When I built his I ordered two of everything to build my brother's. My brother went with some different bolt-ons like headers and intake. So he got to hear it run and it definitely lit a fire.
The engine for this car is using the same cam but has a different firing order,switching 4/7. The other one I had problems degree-ing in. It was 12 degrees off (!!!). I sent it back (along with the duplicate ordered for my engine which was the same) and the replacement was identical. I ended up using it by moving the top gear 1 tooth, which changed the phasing 15 degrees, and then using the multi-keyway lower gear to get it dialed in. The Rollmaster lower gear has 9 positions, 0 and plus or minus 8 degrees in 2 degree increments. All the events are just as they are supposed to be, the engine doesn't know the "dots" are not in line! The 4/7 swap cam set up perfectly with no monkey business.

That is interesting, should be a nice set up. Yes seeing (and hearing) someones finished product sure is good motivation.

Moving along, got the fuel pump, starter, valve covers and some wiring done. Next up is to check the angle of the driveshaft. I may want to machine about 3/16 off the trans mount if I can because the shifter on the new 5-speed is very close to the tunnel. I could "relieve" the area a bit but I think it will be neater to just cut the mount. It appears to be phenolic. Here's another pic.

540in1.jpg

Still at it. Seems like 5 minute jobs take all day. Simple things like heater hose fittings result in having to tap the threads in the intake deeper, then machining the the hex down and shortening the tube a half inch so the by-pass hose fits. Have to re-route the fuel line because it runs too close to the headers. I have to make an adapter that fits in the throttle linkage. The hole in the carb linkage is half inch but the rod end is 7/32. I have a piece of delrin that will work. Took the alternator apart and bead-blasted the housing, polished the armature, and detailed the hardware. Next up are plugs and wires and it will be close to firing up. Slow and steady.

5402.jpg

Very nice work. yes lots of small jobs take up a lot of time. I think your alternator has come up very well, l much prefer that fresh stock look over polished/chromed housings.

I wasn't real happy when I took the carburetor out of the box. It has a polished look, I like the old gold iridite finish. The chrome valve covers are stock items, I had to run a real thick gasket with longer bolts to clear the roller rockers.

Nah l wasn't referring to the rocker covers or carb, l like those, l just meant your alternator housings. In any case l guess the carb will be covered anyway. You have it all looking terrific and if you have any close neighbours they will love it when you finally fire her up late one night, haha, just joking.

Oh hell yeah. We got it running today. Seems like it took forever. So many little things we had to do and re-do. But like most projects, you forget about the tough stuff as soon as it starts singing. I will try to post a video of it running.

OK, here is the fruit of hundreds of hours of labor. Every single thing, from machining the block, heads, rods and crank, to engine assembly, to installation and fabricating all the little details, wiring, plumbing, fuel system, ignition, detailing, all done in house. Time for a cocktail. It doesn't matter how many I do, I'm still nervous when it lights off. When it does, it's like the afterglow of....(you gearheads understand)

Back
Top Bottom